Hifiman Ananda
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #4,276 of 4,987
I've only heard the HE-6's once with a Lyr 2 amp, perhaps with more power it might be different. I would say the HE-6 has very accurate and detailed bass but the 900's have more visceral impact, especially in the sub-bass.
Used to power the HE-6 with the Linn Intek integrated (50wpc) and Qinpu A-1.0X (100wpc).

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #4,278 of 4,987
Tried a couple dac/amp combos from the China market over the last week, specifically for a bedside setup and for the Ananda. Topping EX5 and Loxjie D30.

The Topping is better on paper, considerably more powerful with twin dac chips where as the Loxjie has one dac chip and relevatory low power output compared to most modern amps these days. You can google the specs easily enough. Both have brilliant measurements redarding distortion, jitter, FR etc.

The Ananda does not require much power I don't care what anyone says. You can drive them off your phone. But a good amp will do what a good amp does - sound good. With that in mind we can forget about the 'power' aspect with this headphone. It is very sensitive. I've given both components 3 days constantly running (which is enough time for brain burn in and for the circuits to relax at room temperature and for all the movement on a molecular level to settle down ☺ I do not believe components require 250 hours to sound better)

I'll keep this brief now: The Topping is brighter, wider and very 2 dimensional in sound. A relevatory flat landscape of sound. Bass is natural and smooth (sounds correct) but is not the tightest. Mids are very nice and airy, fast, nothing seems elevated or depleted. The treble is slightly elevated over neutral, I think it emphasises near the same place as the Ananda already does. The annoyance this cause my (not very treble sensitive) ears ended up being too much.
I have a few chosen 'busy' jazz tracks that I use to test the control of a dac when the music gets complex. The Topping lost focus here, it started to smear a little. The bass also lost focus.

The Loxjie has a warmer sound in contrast to the Topping. A narrower soundstage, more rounded sound. Both dacs are fast and clear but the Loxjie has a more natural timbre. Instruments are more rounded (3D) and the bass especially is more detailed. There is more bass in quantity also for good or bad. I think it works well with the Ananda but I would no way pair it with an LCD2 for example.
Testing the same complex Jazz tracks (Evan Parker & Kinetics) the Loxjie has better focus when the music gets extreme. Especially the bass.
The mids are similar to the Topping but because of the elevated bass there seems to be more depth.
The treble is a complete contrast to the Topping and is very neutral. No added air or roll off. Just flat. Perfect.

Detail, separation and layering are both good. The Topping seemingly uncovering more micro details, but the Loxjie having better control of the whole picture.

if I wasn't choosing for the Ananda it would be a slightly tougher call as I love the soundstage and detail of the Topping. But there's no getting away from the better match with the Loxjie for the Ananda.

I'd already sent the Topping back when I took photo. So there's little Loxjie. Cute :)

20220120_103528.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #4,279 of 4,987
Dekoni just released pads they claim will fit these.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #4,280 of 4,987
I received 10$ earpads from aliexpress. They don't have the mounting ring. They stick instead, so not very convenient however it works i guess. It's protein leather. Little bit thinner than stock pads i think. My ears closer to the driver. They have a better grip without introducing clamping force so i like it. The sound is very similar. Stock pads were dead for a while so i can't really compare them fairly. If i try hard, i may say these sound a little bit more solid, concentrated, maybe little narrower but better depth. Forward depth and imaging feel less hazy. A bit more focused sound.

I'm positive about it. Stock pads are $80 for no reason. My only concern is i don't know if earpads will stick or fall with time. If it falls i will glue the stock mounting ring to the earpads. These pads are also more even than the stock pads. Hifiman quality and quality control is bad. I'm not gonna pay $80 to get asymmetrical pads with bad stitches. $10 pads are nicer which is ridiculous.

Also note for the headband. It lost it's solidity and flaps around. It also leaves black dye stain. So i'm planning to change that too but it's a hard change since i have to remove all headband structure from the fragile plastic cups. There isn't even a screw head. Probably pliers will be needed.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #4,281 of 4,987
Is anyone else thoroughly amused when they hear people saying the headphone has a strangely "tall" soundstage? I mean of course knowing they are just positioning their ears too low in the cups, and if they moved them to the top like the same amount down from the circular top as Sundara it's totally fine... Still chuckle every time I see someone post like and think "did they really not try it in different positions""

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #4,282 of 4,987
Is anyone else thoroughly amused when they hear people saying the headphone has a strangely "tall" soundstage? I mean of course knowing they are just positioning their ears too low in the cups, and if they moved them to the top like the same amount down from the circular top as Sundara it's totally fine... Still chuckle every time I see someone post like and think "did they really not try it in different positions""
Not amused. The HEX v2 behaves the same as the Ananda. OK side to side vs many other cans, but compared to height of each one, the ratio is wrong, and the stage is too tall vs the reference.

The HEX v2 unlike the Ananda is a bit reticent in the highs, so I tried a lot of things to address that: silver cable, nuggets, every possible position. EQ was certainly more effective than each of those.. The Ananda showed the same sort of changes as the HEX when changing ear positions.

Look it up. The net is full of many more comments about a tall stage for these two cans, than they are just perfect and wonderful (height vs width of stage)..

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #4,284 of 4,987
Jan 25, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #4,285 of 4,987
Ananda (left) earpad just came apart when I was gently wiping the inside edge. Ironically, while I was "sprucing them up" before taking pictures and posting them on the FS threads.

It is virtually impossible to tuck everything back together with the faux leather border unravelling from around the foam ring.

Wow! Talk about lousy construction and cheap material. NO excuse for this, even given the discounted price of $699.

New "Serenity" pads cost $79!

Am thinking about getting the Dekoni (fenestrated sheepskin) replacement pads and selling these.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #4,286 of 4,987
Look it up. The net is full of many more comments about a tall stage for these two cans, than they are just perfect and wonderful (height vs width of stage)..
This has been my experience, too. Ananda stage is disproportionately tall and not really very wide at all in my perception. Both Focals that I have (Elear and Clear MG) throw a wider stage. The Elear have the best/most "natural" proportions, IMHO. The Clear MG seem disproportionately wide (though not very wide in absolute terms).

HE6se v.2 incoming which, for me, may signal the definitive end of the Ananda's tenure.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #4,287 of 4,987
• I have not owned any Hifiman headphones and have been curious about the sound of various Hifiman models.
• Accounts such as yours, pataburd, validate the lyric by Dionne Warwick: “walk on by”.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #4,288 of 4,987
• I have not owned any Hifiman headphones and have been curious about the sound of various Hifiman models.
• Accounts such as yours, pataburd, validate the lyric by Dionne Warwick: “walk on by”.
Yes there are aspects that are “cheap”, primarily the pads and cables- but I’ve never had a problem with the headphone construction or drivers in my 20+ hifiman I’ve owned over the last 9 years

But the hifiman house sound is the most airy open clear and non colored sound I’ve heard in general, followed by sennheiser and focal

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #4,289 of 4,987
This has been my experience, too. Ananda stage is disproportionately tall and not really very wide at all in my perception. Both Focals that I have (Elear and Clear MG) throw a wider stage. The Elear have the best proportions. The Clear MG seem disproportionately wide (though not very wide in absolute terms).

HE6se v.2 incoming which, for me, may signal the definitive end of the Ananda's tenure.
Lol I posted about this a few days ago, your ears go near the top of the pad, like as far down from the top as the sundara, not near the bottom, literally almost as far up as possible

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #4,290 of 4,987
The HE-5, HE-5LE, HE-500, HE-6 (original), HE-560, HE1000se and Sundara have all been worthwhile (the bolder the better). The HE-6 more than hold their own against today's flagships, IMHO.

The Ananda, the most recent of my HFM purchases, have been the only "klinker" so far. That self-destructing earpad was the last straw for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back