Hifiman Ananda
Aug 7, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #3,901 of 4,987
Well, if you listen directly from your Samsung phone, it kinda explains the difference between your experience and of the rest of the community, I guess. In this case the silver plated stock cable is probably the best option even in terms of the sound due to the specific phone circuit. I don't know, it's just my assumption.
I'm listening from a JDS Labs Element Amp n Dac.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and entertaining my frustrations, I would think the Luna 16-core and Periapt 26gauge would sound better than the stock silver-plated shoestring in some surplus medial tubing, but maybe my head's just not on right. Tryna figure out where in my audio chain this isn't adding up, it's so starkly different, I can tell blindfolded

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #3,902 of 4,987
I'm listening from a JDS Labs Element Amp n Dac.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and entertaining my frustrations, I would think the Luna 16-core and Periapt 26gauge would sound better than the stock silver-plated shoestring in some surplus medial tubing, but maybe my head's just not on right. Tryna figure out where in my audio chain this isn't adding up, it's so starkly different, I can tell blindfolded
You're absolutely right, it's certainly different. Although there are people who can't tell the difference between cables at all and think they all sound the same. You hear that difference and have no doubt about it. What sounds best for you is a matter of your personal preference, that's for sure. Therefore, let me apologise for my peremptory statement about silver plated cables, although it's based not only on my personal experience but on the commonly shared opinion. However, your ear canal, the pinnae etc. can all change your personal perception in regards to different frequencies and how they contribute to the tonality and soundstage. Perhaps, what we see here is an example of a unique configuration of your auditory system where you need to be aware of its peculiarities and test everything by yourself without relying on someone else's reviews. Because you know you hear things differently.

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #3,904 of 4,987
Does the Arya have any more slam than the Ananda? Or is it the case that if I want a planar with a similar tonality but more slam I have to get the susvara? haha

The Susvara doesn't have more slam, the Arya has a more peaky treble than the Ananda. For more slam, you should look at eqing the lower end.

Edit - A bit more on Susvara , Ananda.

The Susvara is more balanced around 1 to 6khz than the Ananda and Arya. Arya peakiness is grating, particularly with female vocals.

Susvara has less of the spatial effect than the egg shaped Hifiman ( Ananda, HE1000 and Arya )

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #3,906 of 4,987
Thanks for the insight!
The Susvara doesn't have more slam, the Arya has a more peaky treble than the Ananda. For more slam, you should look at eqing the lower end.

The Susvara is more balanced around 1 to 6khz than the Ananda and Arya. Arya peakiness is grating, particularly with female vocals.

Susvara has less of the spatial effect than the egg shaped Hifiman ( Ananda, HE1000 and Arya )
Thanks for the insight! Yes, I've tried eq'ing the lower end in a variety of ways, but it always seem to be missing some impact. (relative to dynamic driver closed backs) I'm not sure if it's an open back thing, planar thing, or just in my head, but that's why I was thinking about another headphone. I did hear that the egg shaped hifimans are known to lack slam, so maybe that's influencing my perception. Interesting to hear though that it's not better on the Susvara!

Tonality of the Ananda is also unique in the Hifiman lineup. I don't like the more expensive ones better in that aspect.
Ah! That's definitely helpful to know :)

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #3,908 of 4,987
Thanks for the insight!

Thanks for the insight! Yes, I've tried eq'ing the lower end in a variety of ways, but it always seem to be missing some impact. (relative to dynamic driver closed backs) I'm not sure if it's an open back thing, planar thing, or just in my head, but that's why I was thinking about another headphone. I did hear that the egg shaped hifimans are known to lack slam, so maybe that's influencing my perception. Interesting to hear though that it's not better on the Susvara!

Ah! That's definitely helpful to know :)
How do you amp it? I found that the Ananda needs more amping than i thought at the beginning. Always thought its the perfect low power amp and dap headphone but i don't think so anymore.

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #3,910 of 4,987

None of the long cups (inc Susvara) has bass snap that matches the original HE-6.

I've said for a year or two that the Ananda is the best deal at the price - despite its shortcomings. But I retract that now, the HFM HE-6 v2 at $699 tops the Ananda in every way, and where its close - soundstage, the v2 is well better than the v1. The HE-6se kills everything up to at least $1200 (assuming you have 2 wpc) The Arya with a parametric EQ is roughly tied with the HE-6se v2 (probably a bit lesser), but it also beats the Ananda with ease.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #3,911 of 4,987
Yeah it’s interesting how the different cup shapes is a distinguishing factor among hifiman models. I wonder if the sonic differences are purely coincidental or if there’s is something fundamental about the egg or circle shape that leads to sonic differences.

does anyone here have experience with the Audeze models? I’m curious how they compare with the hifiman options POST eq, as the conventional wisdom is that they are great technically but have questionable tuning.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #3,912 of 4,987
Yeah it’s interesting how the different cup shapes is a distinguishing factor among hifiman models. I wonder if the sonic differences are purely coincidental or if there’s is something fundamental about the egg or circle shape that leads to sonic differences.

does anyone here have experience with the Audeze models? I’m curious how they compare with the hifiman options POST eq, as the conventional wisdom is that they are great technically but have questionable tuning.
I believe the prime HFM sound differences are: area of the membrane + thickness of membrane vs strength of the magnet(s) over that area.

Big cup HFM have a lot of membrane area. The HEX v2 and somewhat lesser the Ananda and HEK v1 are short of magnetic strength. Even the Arya, v2, SE, and Susvara are short on magnetic strength per area compare to the HE-6 (4 or 6 screw). The later big cups can seem more estat like (what they were going for I think) but they had to give up the impressive bass impact to do so.

The HE-6v1 and v2 despite the thinner membrane bear a closer fit to the HE-6/HE-500 - mostly the size of the membrane keeps the bass from that electric leading wave of its earlier brothers. the v2 is more linear than the HE-6, HE-500, but doesn't hold a candle to the HEK v2 or Susvara.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #3,913 of 4,987
I bought the Ananda back.

I had sold them although I liked them a lot because I wanted to try something else, but I decided to go back to them.

I didn't get much more by spending more, in terms of SQ, and I missed the Ananda a lot.

They are excellent headphones, comfortable and very easy to drive, with some small flaws, but nothing particularly relevant.

Excellent all-rounder and I am increasingly convinced that they are one of the best value for money on the market.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3,914 of 4,987
I bought the Ananda back.

I had sold them although I liked them a lot because I wanted to try something else, but I decided to go back to them.

I didn't get much more by spending more, in terms of SQ, and I missed the Ananda a lot.

They are excellent headphones, comfortable and very easy to drive, with some small flaws, but nothing particularly relevant.

Excellent all-rounder and I am increasingly convinced that they are one of the best value for money on the market.

Welcome back! :) I only got my Ananda this year, but I had my eye on for quite some time before I finally purchased them -- and I definitely feel they will remain in my possession for many years. They're just excellent all around headphones, IMO.

It's always heartening to hear someone went up the mountain and found that not everything "up there" had enough improvement in sound quality to merit the increased cost -- heartening to my wallet. :smirk:

Aug 19, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #3,915 of 4,987
Welcome back! :) I only got my Ananda this year, but I had my eye on for quite some time before I finally purchased them -- and I definitely feel they will remain in my possession for many years. They're just excellent all around headphones, IMO.

It's always heartening to hear someone went up the mountain and found that not everything "up there" had enough improvement in sound quality to merit the increased cost -- heartening to my wallet. :smirk:
Thank you!

I didn't get to the $ 2,000-3,000 TOTLs, but I tried the Focal Clears which for me weren't a step ahead of Ananda - and they had small flaws that bothered me much more than Ananda's small flaws - and the Sony MDR-Z1R which have been a disappointment, and with them I always regretted the balance, in my opinion perfect, of the Ananda.

I could have updated to Arya which as far as I read represent the logical evolution of Ananda, but for me it was crucial that they were easy to drive headphones.

In short, for my needs, the Ananda represent the right compromise at the right price.

I'm glad you like them a lot too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back