Hifiman Ananda
Jun 13, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #3,796 of 4,987
I don't have this problem with either the Violectric SS amp or the hybrid

Jun 13, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,797 of 4,987
I can say that I picked the Ananda after testing cans all the way from LCD -2C LCD-X HD800S Aeon Flow 2 & ERA-1
It was a clear pick over all the above mentioned sound-wise and over the Arya only value wise
I'll answer here the advice you gave me on the Focal Clear thread, to try Arya:

The only problem I had with the Ananda was the huge pads, not the maximum comfort and with a sound too dependent on the positioning ...

And also a little lack of impact, which from what I have read is characteristic of all Hifiman with egg pads.

In your opinion, how much do Ananda give you of Arya, in percentage?

Jun 13, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #3,798 of 4,987
I'll answer here the advice you gave me on the Focal Clear thread, to try Arya:

The only problem I had with the Ananda was the huge pads, not the maximum comfort and with a sound too dependent on the positioning ...

And also a little lack of impact, which from what I have read is characteristic of all Hifiman with egg pads.

In your opinion, how much do Ananda give you of Arya, in percentage?

I Would say if money is no object get the Arya, it's a no brainer and best in class but comparing it to the Ananda given the prices of both makes the Ananda the clear winner as it will give you around 80-85% of the Arya performance.
Both are bit light on the bass but so is the HD800, If you want more bass get the LCD-X but it doesn't compare with either Hifiman in other aspects and would need the Reveal+ (Audeze way to admit the missed something with their cans).
And Hifiman cans won't lack any bass impact if mated with the right amp, they will rumble and shake without any distortion.
IMHO the Ananda is a strike of genius from Hifiman and perform way above its price tag, with a better cable and some better material it should be priced at $1,300

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,799 of 4,987
Ananda has some sibilance but i think it's below average. A lot more headphones have more. So if you want less you really need a smooth headphone like the HD650.
Thanks for the advice.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #3,800 of 4,987
Couple of questions…

1) How much can an eq match what ifi’s amps do in regards to bass?
2) is there any way to tell how comfortable I will find these headphones without actually trying them on? Measuring my head or something?

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,801 of 4,987
I Would say if money is no object get the Arya, it's a no brainer and best in class but comparing it to the Ananda given the prices of both makes the Ananda the clear winner as it will give you around 80-85% of the Arya performance.
Both are bit light on the bass but so is the HD800, If you want more bass get the LCD-X but it doesn't compare with either Hifiman in other aspects and would need the Reveal+ (Audeze way to admit the missed something with their cans).
And Hifiman cans won't lack any bass impact if mated with the right amp, they will rumble and shake without any distortion.
IMHO the Ananda is a strike of genius from Hifiman and perform way above its price tag, with a better cable and some better material it should be priced at $1,300
If the Ananda sound can be priced at 1300, does it mean the Arya is an absolute steal at 1600?

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #3,803 of 4,987
For $650 I have very few complaints.

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #3,804 of 4,987
Strange the Clear shouldn't sound metallic and is also very laidback. What you describe sounds like the Utopia.

Ananda is some kind of carefree headphone. Sounds right in every way and soundstage is perfect size. It's also the most coherent sounding headphone i know. Imaging and details are the things the better models improve on but i don't really need that as the Ananda is already quite good here. Only thing that sucks a bit is the bass extension.
What are some of the best phones you have heard? Ananda is a great phone for the money - probably the best, but its got a number of flaws IMO. More exposure is bound to change your opinion.

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #3,805 of 4,987
Ananda has some sibilance but i think it's below average. A lot more headphones have more. So if you want less you really need a smooth headphone like the HD650.
It's got peak at 7k - agree on the female vocals. too many too edgy. An amp or DAC that's bright, can make it worse. Overall it's thin sounding lacking body. Some claim its transparent. Where are the overtones of the cello? Why is the soundstage so tall and narrow? Why does the bass lack impact?

When some (not you) make claims, make them as $699 or lower budget killer. Because it's no HE-6, Voce, HEK se, LCD-4, etc. and right here at my house, my well modded HE-500 runs rings around them.

BTW, EQ helps the Ananda treble peak, but is useless on bass impact.

Jun 16, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #3,807 of 4,987
What are some of the best phones you have heard? Ananda is a great phone for the money - probably the best, but its got a number of flaws IMO. More exposure is bound to change your opinion.
Susvara, Utopia and SR007 Mk. 1 are the best i've owned and the best i've heard yet. Ananda is the second best for the money for me after the HD650.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,808 of 4,987
Susvara, Utopia and SR007 Mk. 1 are the best i've owned and the best i've heard yet. Ananda is the second best for the money for me after the HD650.

That's fine. I'm a HD-600 guy at the low end - coupled with a solid OTL amp it's quite engrossing.

Thinking of moving most of my spare audio to get the Susvara - best non e-stat I have heard. Utopia interesting but a bit spiky in the mid treble, 007's quite awesome. What amp do you/did you use?

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #3,809 of 4,987
That's fine. I'm a HD-600 guy at the low end - coupled with a solid OTL amp it's quite engrossing.

Thinking of moving most of my spare audio to get the Susvara - best non e-stat I have heard. Utopia interesting but a bit spiky in the mid treble, 007's quite awesome. What amp do you/did you use?
For the Utopia the Audiovalve Solaris. Was a good match.

Currently i only use a THX 887 which maybe is not enough for the Susvara (even though volume is only at 50%). That's maybe the reason why i dont use the Susvara so much but mainly the HD650 and now the ADX5000.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #3,810 of 4,987
If the Ananda sound can be priced at 1300, does it mean the Arya is an absolute steal at 1600?
The Ananda is a steal cause it gives you a $1,300 sound category for a sub $1K price, the Arya is smartly priced but you can look for other options in this range depending on your preference. (HD800S, ZMF etc.).
You may also be rethinking the dynamic vs Planar advantages and disadvantages in this case.
But yes the Arya is a wonderful cans and you will love them regardless of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back