Hifiman Ananda
May 24, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #3,691 of 4,987
I don’t know, I’ve only heard my pair of Anadas (bought in november and still getting used to them) and the demo unit for just an hour befor buying them. I only listened to classical while demoing them, though

The only Hifimans I’ve ever heard were Sundara & Ananada, while demoing them before purchase, just classical music, and didn’t experience any sibilance. The reason for buying them was to complement my Denon D7200, which I like for rock, blues and country, but lacks treble extension for classical and jazz. Of course, I couldn’t resist to try all kinds of music with my new headphones and this is how I encountered the sibilance issue.

I suppose they are the new version.

EB149643-E9FF-43FF-BDBB-52ED7FD1695D.jpeg
Hi! I noticed from your signature that you have the D7200 and the Ananda. I have the D7200 and I'm wondering how does the Ananda compare in terms of bass and mids and treble. My country is in a lockdown so I'm not able to demo one anytime soon. Thank you!

May 24, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #3,692 of 4,987
Hi! I noticed from your signature that you have the D7200 and the Ananda. I have the D7200 and I'm wondering how does the Ananda compare in terms of bass and mids and treble. My country is in a lockdown so I'm not able to demo one anytime soon. Thank you!
Comparing a closed can to a hugely open one isn't apple to apple, Ananda wins either way if you have no problem with sound leakage.
Had the Denon and sold it, kept the Ananda.

May 24, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #3,693 of 4,987
Comparing a closed can to a hugely open one isn't apple to apple, Ananda wins either way if you have no problem with sound leakage.
Had the Denon and sold it, kept the Ananda.
Thanks for your reply. May i know why do you prefer the ananda? I dont mind sound leakage as Im using strictly at home. I've heard plenty of amazing reviews on the ananda, but no specific comparison with the denons (which i really like at the moment), so I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on anything.

May 24, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #3,694 of 4,987
Thanks for your reply. May i know why do you prefer the ananda? I dont mind sound leakage as Im using strictly at home. I've heard plenty of amazing reviews on the ananda, but no specific comparison with the denons (which i really like at the moment), so I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on anything.
Well the Denon is a solid can for a closed one, lots of bass and a beautiful sonic signature along the audio spectrum, nothing to complain about.
The Ananda is a different beast all together, the soundstage is only second to the Arya and HD800, the details and positioning are excellent. The bass although not in par with the Denon but it's present and punchy. Planars quick and precise response is very pleasant.
If you want an icing on the cake for a little extra, you can couple it with a Hybrid amp (Cavalli CTH) and probably you will stop looking any further.

May 24, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #3,695 of 4,987
Well the Denon is a solid can for a closed one, lots of bass and a beautiful sonic signature along the audio spectrum, nothing to complain about.
The Ananda is a different beast all together, the soundstage is only second to the Arya and HD800, the details and positioning are excellent. The bass although not in par with the Denon but it's present and punchy. Planars quick and precise response is very pleasant.
If you want an icing on the cake for a little extra, you can couple it with a Hybrid amp (Cavalli CTH) and probably you will stop looking any further.
Man that sounds like an endgame setup. Time to start saving up I guess. I'm not willing to part with the Denons yet, but who knows. Haha. Thanks for the reply man.

May 24, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #3,696 of 4,987
Man that sounds like an endgame setup. Time to start saving up I guess. I'm not willing to part with the Denons yet, but who knows. Haha. Thanks for the reply man.
In fact I have the Focal Elear, the AKG 550 and the Ananda currently along with a Darkvoice, Violectric V90 and Cavalli CTH. The Ananda with the the CTH is the sweetest sounding followed by the Focal with the DV.
My Violectric SS amp started collecting dust the moment I first heard tubes 😂😂

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #3,697 of 4,987
Skywalker,
I’m curious about your impressions of the Ananda and the DV. It was recently discussed that OTLs and planars don’t mix, but I’ve been extremely pleased with my Ananda/DV (rolled) combo (and my buddy’s Sundaras - it’s sound on par, sometimes better, than the Modius/Magnius (balanced) depending largely on source material. BTW, the combo absolutely smokes the Modius/Magnius unbalanced!

What tubes are you using in your DV?

TBH, I’ve been pining for a Felix as an end-game headphone amp. Time will tell as my current setup is pretty damn satisfying!

Marc

May 24, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #3,698 of 4,987
Skywalker,
I’m curious about your impressions of the Ananda and the DV. It was recently discussed that OTLs and planars don’t mix, but I’ve been extremely pleased with my Ananda/DV (rolled) combo (and my buddy’s Sundaras - it’s sound on par, sometimes better, than the Modius/Magnius (balanced) depending largely on source material. BTW, the combo absolutely smokes the Modius/Magnius unbalanced!

TBH, I’ve been pining for a Felix as an end-game headphone amp. Time will tell as my current setup is pretty damn satisfying!

Marc
In fact I initially hoped for positive results from the Ananda/DV combination regardless of the known theory about OTLs and planars but I was disappointed with the result
after using all tube combinations I have:
  • Svetlana winged C
  • 6080WA Sylvania
  • RCA 6AS7G
6SN7:
  • RCA Grey Glass
  • GE
  • Marconi
  • Melz
  • RCA clear glass
  • Tung Sol
  • Sylvania 2 Hole
  • Philco Black Glass
  • Raytheon T Plate
Dual 6J5:
  • RCA
  • Sylvania BK plate 3 holes ladder
As for the Feliks I totally agree with you for an end game as they have solid products 👍

May 27, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #3,699 of 4,987
They are like night and day: D7200 has a bass and vocals centered signature with recessed treble, Anandas focus on tight. fast, neutral bass. a little recessed mids and some treble fordwardness Unfortunately prone to sibilance at the slightest amount of it on the mixing.

Soundstage is bigger on the Anandas, isolation is none both ways and quite good on the D7200. I use Denons for pop and rock records with excess treble in the mix; for classical and neutral mixed acoustic. pop and rock records, I prefer Anandas.

May 27, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #3,700 of 4,987
In fact I have the Focal Elear, the AKG 550 and the Ananda currently along with a Darkvoice, Violectric V90 and Cavalli CTH. The Ananda with the the CTH is the sweetest sounding followed by the Focal with the DV.
My Violectric SS amp started collecting dust the moment I first heard tubes 😂😂
I just ordered the Ananda. I was holding back because money's a bit tight, but then I saw they're on sale for about 520 USD (is this a good price?), and I dont want to regret missing the sale. Good thing my country is in a lockdown and we cant eat out for a while anyway. Hahaha.

I have the DV as well, but I don't think it's gonna pair well with the Ananda. Does the CTH impart the tubey sound to the Ananda?
They are like night and day: D7200 has a bass and vocals centered signature with recessed treble, Anandas focus on tight. fast, neutral bass. a little recessed mids and some treble fordwardness Unfortunately prone to sibilance at the slightest amount of it on the mixing.

Soundstage is bigger on the Anandas, isolation is none both ways and quite good on the D7200. I use Denons for pop and rock records with excess treble in the mix; for classical and neutral mixed acoustic. pop and rock records, I prefer Anandas.
Thanks for your reply!

Seeing that you're still keeping both, I guess they're both really good in their own ways and none is particularly better than the other.

I find that the treble on the D7200 is smooth and pleasant (I'm treble sensitive), with beautiful vocals although it can be shouty at times. Bass can be overwhelming on certain tracks, but when you want it to be there oh my god it sounds so good. I'm hoping the Ananda will be a nice complement to the D7200 rather than making it redundant because I really like the D7200.

May 27, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #3,701 of 4,987
I just ordered the Ananda. I was holding back because money's a bit tight, but then I saw they're on sale for about 520 USD (is this a good price?), and I dont want to regret missing the sale. Good thing my country is in a lockdown and we cant eat out for a while anyway. Hahaha.

I have the DV as well, but I don't think it's gonna pair well with the Ananda. Does the CTH impart the tubey sound to the Ananda?

Thanks for your reply!

Seeing that you're still keeping both, I guess they're both really good in their own ways and none is particularly better than the other.

I find that the treble on the D7200 is smooth and pleasant (I'm treble sensitive), with beautiful vocals although it can be shouty at times. Bass can be overwhelming on certain tracks, but when you want it to be there oh my god it sounds so good. I'm hoping the Ananda will be a nice complement to the D7200 rather than making it redundant because I really like the D7200.
The price for the Ananda is a good catch, it's a no brainer 👍
Tell us about your impressions when you receive them

May 27, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #3,703 of 4,987
Skywalker,

Marc
My OTL (BHOC w/ speedball and about 45 improved parts) barely has intelligible output with the HFM HE-6, HE-500, HE-6sev1, LCD-2 which are 50 or less ohms. With the HEX v2 and Ananda also under 50 ohms, they have more output because they are well more efficient than the earlier list.

In no way does any of them sound passable for high fidelity listening, unlike the HD-600 which sings at 300 ohms. OTOH the planars I mentioned sound great on my Ragnarok 1 (except the LCD-2 - my taste and not the potent partial Class A SS amp or planars in general.

May 27, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #3,704 of 4,987
My OTL (BHOC w/ speedball and about 45 improved parts) barely has intelligible output with the HFM HE-6, HE-500, HE-6sev1, LCD-2 which are 50 or less ohms. With the HEX v2 and Ananda also under 50 ohms, they have more output because they are well more efficient than the earlier list.

In no way does any of them sound passable for high fidelity listening, unlike the HD-600 which sings at 300 ohms. OTOH the planars I mentioned sound great on my Ragnarok 1 (except the LCD-2 - my taste and not the potent partial Class A SS amp or planars in general.
The BHC is designed for 150 Ohms + cans and would shine from 200 +
Planars best approach to Tube sound is through a Hybrid, even the well designed WOO amps won't drive them well on low impedance setting, same for Feliks Audio amps.

May 27, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #3,705 of 4,987
The BHC is designed for 150 Ohms + cans and would shine from 200 +
Planars best approach to Tube sound is through a Hybrid, even the well designed WOO amps won't drive them well on low impedance setting, same for Feliks Audio amps.
Not completely true. Beyers don't work with BHC no matter it's ohmage. I think it's thr Sennheiser 300 ohms that work so well with tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back