Hifiman Ananda
Jan 19, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #3,061 of 4,987
LCD 2C is better than ananda?
NOOO at least not to me 😃
But if you have a tendency towards dark sound with deep bass, warm mids and don’t mind dimmed treble and equalization then it could be your cup of tea but normally the Ananda is compared to the more expensive LCD X.
Worth mentioning the better build of the Audeze but with a weight penalty.....The LCD 2C is not a bad choice regardless.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,063 of 4,987
in a scale of 1 to 100, where you position the 660s, the sundara, the ananda and the arya?
Ma guarda, "better" non esiste. What kind of sound are you looking for? That should guide your search more than anything. And what kind of music do you listen to? Do you have the possibility of using EQ? These are all so much more important than just the "better" headphone.

For the headphones you're curious about (without EQ, because I'm an Apple user): I haven't heard the Arya or the LCD-2C, but I used to own the LCD-X and just hated the frequency response (upper mids were very sucked out, treble uneven) and the weight, as mentioned above. I got a lot of enjoyment from the 660S when I had them, but I felt the HD600 and HD6XX both did a better job, and at a cheaper price, especially with a tube amp involved. I personally couldn't stand the Sundara. Timbre and overall tuning were wonderful, but everything felt crowded and too closed in, especially compared with the Ananda. But maybe that's because my big ears couldn't fit in the circular earpads.

I personally wouldn't put them on a scale of 1-100...it's just not the way I hear them. But for your convenience, here is one such list, if you haven't seen it already: https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #3,065 of 4,987
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #3,066 of 4,987
LCD 2C is better than ananda?

In the brief 1 month that I owned both the Ananda and LCD-2F simultaneously, I thought the Ananda was the superior headphone for technical performance and tonality. Even with EQing both. I can't imagine the cheaper and often less acclaimed, compared to the LCD2F, LCD2c would challenge the Ananda.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #3,067 of 4,987
Well it all depends on how much is your budget, If it is of no issue then just get the Arya, if you want the best value get the Ananda, if your budget does not allow it get the 660S
but first of all make sure you have quality music chain all the way from your DAC, cables, amp. It makes all the difference prior to the cans. delivered Music is as good as its chain components.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,068 of 4,987
Ma guarda, "better" non esiste. What kind of sound are you looking for? That should guide your search more than anything. And what kind of music do you listen to? Do you have the possibility of using EQ? These are all so much more important than just the "better" headphone.

For the headphones you're curious about (without EQ, because I'm an Apple user): I haven't heard the Arya or the LCD-2C, but I used to own the LCD-X and just hated the frequency response (upper mids were very sucked out, treble uneven) and the weight, as mentioned above. I got a lot of enjoyment from the 660S when I had them, but I felt the HD600 and HD6XX both did a better job, and at a cheaper price, especially with a tube amp involved. I personally couldn't stand the Sundara. Timbre and overall tuning were wonderful, but everything felt crowded and too closed in, especially compared with the Ananda. But maybe that's because my big ears couldn't fit in the circular earpads.

I personally wouldn't put them on a scale of 1-100...it's just not the way I hear them. But for your convenience, here is one such list, if you haven't seen it already: https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/
In this list if you sort by Tonality the Ananda would rank 4th above the Clear and definitely above its price range. I always believed that the Ananda coupled with a respectful cable and coming from a European or American company with better QC would be priced around $1,300

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #3,070 of 4,987
but first of all make sure you have quality music chain all the way from your DAC, cables, amp. It makes all the difference prior to the cans. delivered Music is as good as its chain components.

I think the quality of the chain helps to maximize the headphone experience, piece by piece.

I absolutely do not agree in suggesting the chain takes priority over having enjoyable headphones.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #3,071 of 4,987
I think the quality of the chain helps to maximize the headphone experience, piece by piece.

I absolutely do not agree in suggesting the chain takes priority over having enjoyable headphones.
A good chain brings out the best of a headphone, the better the more enjoyable the headphones would sound but I agree that this doesn’t affect headphone’s comparing.
Thing is that people normally check headphones in HiFi stores with a totally different music delivery chain than the one at home, coups be state of the art DACs, a $3,000 Violectric headphone’s amp or a tube and all this affect the cans comparison.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,072 of 4,987
A good chain brings out the best of a headphone, the better the more enjoyable the headphones would sound but I agree that this doesn’t affect headphone’s comparing.
Thing is that people normally check headphones in HiFi stores with a totally different music delivery chain than the one at home, coups be state of the art DACs, a $3,000 Violectric headphone’s amp or a tube and all this affect the cans comparison.

I know this an old fight but I want to add my testimony before someone spends a lot of money on the "chain". I practically went bankrupt pursuing the goal of perfecting the never perfect chain. I find it no longer necessary, if your goal is "transparency", due to advancing technology.

I have the Ananda which is a very sensitive headphone, and a wonderful one. It works just as well on tiny DAC/Amps like the Audio Dense or Hidizs S8, which measure very well on noise and distortion. I cannot tell the difference between them and my 2 grand setup.

Now, I color my sound via EQ, not the chain, so your results may vary.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #3,074 of 4,987
Swapped the Zen Can for the Schiit Vali 2! I had no idea they made cheaper products now and I was NOT prepared for how small it is compared to my Lyr I had a long while back. It's certainly not the Lyr I assume at half the price and tube count, but it seems to do a great job with the Ananda.

Wondering if anyone else has this or a similar amp with impressions on these cans. I've heard a Woo Audio WA6 before and that sucker is HEAVY and huge, how far can one tiny little tube amp go for headphones of this level?

Attachments

• 20210119_181713.jpg
    20210119_181713.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back