Hifiman Ananda
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #3,031 of 4,987
Yeah, I should have mentioned. My preferred genres are jazz, classical, acoustic and electronic. I rarely listen to rock.
So it’s the 800 you are comparing to the S ?

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #3,033 of 4,987
BALANCED CABLE NEEDED - $120 MAX

I'd like some recs for Balanced cables for my Ananda. I was gonna get the ones from NewFantasia Direct on Amazon. But peeps on r/headphones said they aren't worth the money. Saying that "they worked". But some had issues with them. Shorts, excessive cable noise, uneven volume levels, etc.

If you've bought some from some place. And were happy with them. Drop me a link. Thanks.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #3,034 of 4,987
BALANCED CABLE NEEDED - $120 MAX

I'd like some recs for Balanced cables for my Ananda. I was gonna get the ones from NewFantasia Direct on Amazon. But peeps on r/headphones said they aren't worth the money. Saying that "they worked". But some had issues with them. Shorts, excessive cable noise, uneven volume levels, etc.

If you've bought some from some place. And were happy with them. Drop me a link. Thanks.

Can't go wrong with Periapt. Way better than NewFantasia.
https://periaptcables.com/

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #3,035 of 4,987
Not sure if a balanced cable between the amp and cans would do any difference if the connection between the DAC and amp is non balanced using RCA.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #3,036 of 4,987
Some amps balance the signal and some don’t, from what I’ve gathered.

I just got some Hart audio cables and I like them a lot for my desk. They don’t tangle, they feel and look good. Only took a couple days to ship. The system makes amp switching very simple.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #3,037 of 4,987
My DAC and Amp both have Balanced connections. I've already looked at Periapt. Their 3.5mm connectors look kinda big. I'd like some smaller diameter connectors. I'll look at Hart.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #3,039 of 4,987
You could always make your own for under that price. You'd get to pick your own connectors, and could do either canare/mogami/gotham or something fancier with that budget. It'd rival any of these budget cable makers and it's really not hard.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #3,040 of 4,987
You could always make your own for under that price. You'd get to pick your own connectors, and could do either canare/mogami/gotham or something fancier with that budget. It'd rival any of these budget cable makers and it's really not hard.

My Soldering gear and work bench are in storage right now. As I won't be moving to a larger place for 6-7 months. I do have several feet of different Mogami cables. I also have some Neutrik, and Amphenol connectors. Para of diff colors. All that jazz. I need something for now.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #3,041 of 4,987
Not sure if a balanced cable between the amp and cans would do any difference if the connection between the DAC and amp is non balanced using RCA.
I might be wrong, but my understanding of balanced output to headphones is that it is all and only about output power, as balanced connection has two times voltage than single ended. Any transducer (speaker, headphone driver) requires only two wires: Plus/Minus. There is no use of the third one, isn't is? Another important thing is, if the output of the amplifier is truly differential (balanced). If not, then it can have XLR connectors, but the voltage will be the same as on single ended output. The input from DAC is not important, you can enjoy balanced output advantages even with single ended input - it depends on topology of the amp.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #3,042 of 4,987
In unbalanced cables, 1 wire carries the positive signal and the 2nd one carries both the negative signal along with the ground, In balanced cables, 1 Wire carries the Positive signal the 2nd carries the negative signal and the 3rd is dedicated for the ground.
Having a separate ground wire eliminates the interference and especially in long cable runs in studios or in heavily wired connections especially with close to power cables.
On short runs like in amp to can connections I don't believe it would make any audible difference for home use. Having a dual dedicated separately wired left and right amp architecture signals would do all the difference in the world even better when powered with a toroidal PS or dual ones coupled with dual DACs architecture.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #3,043 of 4,987
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #3,044 of 4,987
I think something got lost. I'm just asking for balanced cables for my HiFiMan Ananda. Only asking if someone has bought aftermarket cables. And recommendations for some good cable companies.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #3,045 of 4,987
In unbalanced cables, 1 wire carries the positive signal and the 2nd one carries both the negative signal along with the ground, In balanced cables, 1 Wire carries the Positive signal the 2nd carries the negative signal and the 3rd is dedicated for the ground.
Having a separate ground wire eliminates the interference and especially in long cable runs in studios or in heavily wired connections especially with close to power cables.
On short runs like in amp to can connections I don't believe it would make any audible difference for home use. Having a dual dedicated separately wired left and right amp architecture signals would do all the difference in the world even better when powered with a toroidal PS or dual ones coupled with dual DACs architecture.
Sure, but how this relates to headphone cable, where there is no use for ground signal? You decribed advantage of XLR signal cable, where I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back