Hifiman Ananda
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #2,806 of 4,987
I don't have a pc but would love to know your eq settings! I've been playing around a lot with the bass eq and have been trying to decide on something. It's definitely a much different presentation of bass from my D7200s and iems (feels faster and more authoritative and with eq, quantity is not an issue, but at the same time, a bit less fun?). I'm trying to figure out how much of that is tuning related.
Ananda and D7200 very different headphones. D7200 closed back and have quite a bit more bass. Ananda more bright and analytical type of headphone. It can handle bass well but it's still open back Hifiman planar.

Bass probably most debatable topic when it comes to neutralness of the sound. So it's a personal thing. What i recommend for more ''correct'' sound: couple of db elevation around 1.5-2k and couple of db drop around 3-4k or couple of db drop from 3k to 10k. You can add 5-6db bass below 150hz. Don't increase above 150hz. EQ apo or another parametric eq would be nice though i don't know anything about daps and portable stuff.

Nov 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,807 of 4,987
Ananda and D7200 very different headphones. D7200 closed back and have quite a bit more bass. Ananda more bright and analytical type of headphone. It can handle bass well but it's still open back Hifiman planar.

Bass probably most debatable topic when it comes to neutralness of the sound. So it's a personal thing. What i recommend for more ''correct'' sound: couple of db elevation around 1.5-2k and couple of db drop around 3-4k or couple of db drop from 3k to 10k. You can add 5-6db bass below 150hz. Don't increase above 150hz. EQ apo or another parametric eq would be nice though i don't know anything about daps and portable stuff.
Hey thanks so much! I had a chance to try it out! (It ended up being pretty similar to the EQ I was using before.)
And yeah D7200 and the Anandas are really different. haha I'm mostly trying to understand what differences can simply be explained by tuning considerations. When I apply the bass shelf, it improves the bass a lot and the quantity is plenty, but nevertheless in a way that I have a hard time defining it somehow feels "less satisfying" then a traditional good closed back bass. I'd be really interested in understanding what exactly is going on here from a technical perspective (assuming it's not just placebo effect haha), but this might be outside of the bounds of anyone's current knowledge/measurement systems.

One thing I will say though, is that the pad to earhole ratio for the D7200 is way higher than the Ananda and this leads to more contact with the pad on your head. I wonder if this helps convey the more rumbly/tactile part of the subbass?

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,808 of 4,987
Hey thanks so much! I had a chance to try it out! (It ended up being pretty similar to the EQ I was using before.)
And yeah D7200 and the Anandas are really different. haha I'm mostly trying to understand what differences can simply be explained by tuning considerations. When I apply the bass shelf, it improves the bass a lot and the quantity is plenty, but nevertheless in a way that I have a hard time defining it somehow feels "less satisfying" then a traditional good closed back bass. I'd be really interested in understanding what exactly is going on here from a technical perspective (assuming it's not just placebo effect haha), but this might be outside of the bounds of anyone's current knowledge/measurement systems.

One thing I will say though, is that the pad to earhole ratio for the D7200 is way higher than the Ananda and this leads to more contact with the pad on your head. I wonder if this helps convey the more rumbly/tactile part of the subbass?
Yes the contact helps transfering the driver vibration in my opinion too. Also the planars have somewhat less dynamic impact. Something like DT 1990 have tremendous bass punch and it's open back. So it's more like planar vs dynamic instead of closed back vs open back. But again soundstage and presentation is important factor as well. HD800S is dynamic driver but it's open and big soundstage like Ananda so it has somewhat weaker bass like Ananda. Audeze headphones are planar but they have relatively strong bass.

If you are interested Emu Teak is probably the king when it comes to bass. No eq needed. Bass amount and quality top class. Overall tuning is great.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,809 of 4,987
The Ananda can do a lot of bass, only it plays it when it should be available. The 7200 .. a good headphone, unfortunately adds a lot of bass where hardly any should be.
At first I liked it, but soon it was too much for me.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #2,810 of 4,987
Yes the contact helps transfering the driver vibration in my opinion too. Also the planars have somewhat less dynamic impact. Something like DT 1990 have tremendous bass punch and it's open back. So it's more like planar vs dynamic instead of closed back vs open back. But again soundstage and presentation is important factor as well. HD800S is dynamic driver but it's open and big soundstage like Ananda so it has somewhat weaker bass like Ananda. Audeze headphones are planar but they have relatively strong bass.

If you are interested Emu Teak is probably the king when it comes to bass. No eq needed. Bass amount and quality top class. Overall tuning is great.

Yeah that's definitely what I've heard about planars vs dynamics too. Though it seems like some of the high end planars have pretty legendary bass (LCD-4 + eq and Abyss), at least what I've heard second hand. Furthermore, given their low bass distortion and their ability to take a large amount of eq, I do wonder if it's not possible to build the planar equivalent of a biodyna headphone or if it's just that simply no one has ever bothered to try. I'm wondering what the LCD2 Closed sounds like with some nice bass eq now for a comparison with a closed-back planar.

I've also heard that the sundara/circle-shaped hifimans typically have better slam than the egg-shell types, so I am curious too how well these respond to eq too. Too many questions to ask I guess haha

And yeah, I'm definitely interested haha I've been eyeing the Teak for a long time now. But I'm not sure if it will be noticeably better than my D7200 + eq? My mind says, probably not much, my heart says BUY IT. haha

The Ananda can do a lot of bass, only it plays it when it should be available. The 7200 .. a good headphone, unfortunately adds a lot of bass where hardly any should be.
At first I liked it, but soon it was too much for me.

Yeah I guess to clarify, my happiness with the bass amount with the hifimans varies with the genre of course. There is actually a lot a like about the bass really (after a slight bump, for my tastes at least).

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #2,812 of 4,987

Having purchased the Sundara and DT1990 to A/B, my conclusion is that a good planar has a lot more impact potential than the 1990 in bass dynamics. In the stock tuning, the 1990 is definitely punchier for sure, but adding in a low shelf of even 4db caused it to audibly distort. Not sure how the Ananda compares to the Sundara in terms of impact with EQ added, but I tested up to a 15db (no audible distortion even at these levels) low shelf gain at 60hz and the impact was incredibly more intense than the DT1990. I would be curious how this compares on the Ananda though, as the graphs show more extension - but most say less slam.

Some of these planars are tuned pretty bass light, but have so much more bass potential than many dynamic drivers - comparing open back designs especially.

Note: I realize that these values put the bass FR over Harman targets, but I'm a bit of a bass head and enjoyed the experiment...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #2,813 of 4,987
Having purchased the Sundara and DT1990 to A/B, my conclusion is that a good planar has a lot more impact potential than the 1990 in bass dynamics. In the stock tuning, the 1990 is definitely punchier for sure, but adding in a low shelf of even 4db caused it to audibly distort. Not sure how the Ananda compares to the Sundara in terms of impact with EQ added, but I tested up to a 15db (no audible distortion even at these levels) low shelf gain at 60hz and the impact was incredibly more intense than the DT1990. I would be curious how this compares on the Ananda though, as the graphs show more extension - but most say less slam.

Some of these planars are tuned pretty bass light, but have so much more bass potential than many dynamic drivers - comparing open back designs especially.

Note: I realize that these values put the bass FR over Harman targets, but I'm a bit of a bass head and enjoyed the experiment...
To my ears Ananda's slam worsen if i boost the subbass too much. Becomes fat and flabby. Earpad opening is so big it just can't punch with high pressure, it pushes big wide air instead. When i boost the subbass it kinda masks the midbass punch, swallows it.

1990 bass is boosted but it's very precise and punchy. You can feel the pressure change in your ears. I like this example first 4 seconds of this song is nice test. With 1990 it hits you right and left with good distinction and contrast, with Ananda it hits you altogether like one blob of sound. Check out Tidal version for better dynamics.

Sundara's smaller earcup probably helping it in this case. This eggshape presentation is different. Bass feels like coming from a subwoofer in a room so it doesn't hit your eardrums directly. But Ananda have lots of pros to compensate what it lacks. It's a special headphone.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,814 of 4,987
To my ears Ananda's slam worsen if i boost the subbass too much. Becomes fat and flabby. Earpad opening is so big it just can't punch with high pressure, it pushes big wide air instead. When i boost the subbass it kinda masks the midbass punch, swallows it.

1990 bass is boosted but it's very precise and punchy. You can feel the pressure change in your ears. I like this example first 4 seconds of this song is nice test. With 1990 it hits you right and left with good distinction and contrast, with Ananda it hits you altogether like one blob of sound. Check out Tidal version for better dynamics.

Sundara's smaller earcup probably helping it in this case. This eggshape presentation is different. Bass feels like coming from a subwoofer in a room so it doesn't hit your eardrums directly. But Ananda have lots of pros to compensate what it lacks. It's a special headphone.

Ah that's interesting that the cup shape and possibly driver size affects the bass signature that much. I'm a bit jealous of the Ananda bass extension which is a touch better than the Sundara, but I guess there always have to be trade offs. I'm still trying to figure out what the Ananda has that the Sundara doesn't to give it the extra extension, but it could simply be a larger more capable driver.

To me, the 1990 bass shares more of the signature my Bose QC25's have - which isn't exactly what I like. They are lower than I'd like in the low/sub bass region (which I like higher than harman) and get a bit boomy/slammy in the high bass. This has that initial wow factor I think a lot of consumers like, you get bass showing up all the time - it's fine but it's not to my ideal preference. I like really great low bass rumble, with a gradual slope down to around 120hz. The 1990/Bose signature is sort of the reverse of this, being below the 2017 Harman target in the sub bass but fairly boosted in the high bass / low mids. Also, these dynamic drivers are well behind the large planars in terms of sub bass impact potential.

*may be moving the conversation away from the Ananda too much here!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,815 of 4,987

Just echoing this and say that this is exactly my impression as well. It's a very interesting phenomena.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #2,816 of 4,987
Got my ananda for around USD 480 brand new from shenzhen audio store with 11.11 sale. Time to retire my fidelio x1 and hd 650.
WeChat Image_20201102104453.jpg
WeChat Image_20201102104456.jpg
WeChat Image_20201110120109.jpg

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #2,818 of 4,987
Sounds very neutral to my ear, coming from 650 and x1. More airy than the 650 yet the tone is very good, no need EQ for me. Not as airy as the x1, but much better tonality. I think instrument separation and details are not the best, but good enough.
Very good for movie and gaming too imo, a perfect replacement for my x1.
The arya when I tested it, sounds too bright for my taste, and too expensive. Maybe next time if hifiman got arya 2, I might test it.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,820 of 4,987
Ah that's interesting that the cup shape and possibly driver size affects the bass signature that much. I'm a bit jealous of the Ananda bass extension which is a touch better than the Sundara, but I guess there always have to be trade offs. I'm still trying to figure out what the Ananda has that the Sundara doesn't to give it the extra extension, but it could simply be a larger more capable driver.

To me, the 1990 bass shares more of the signature my Bose QC25's have - which isn't exactly what I like. They are lower than I'd like in the low/sub bass region (which I like higher than harman) and get a bit boomy/slammy in the high bass. This has that initial wow factor I think a lot of consumers like, you get bass showing up all the time - it's fine but it's not to my ideal preference. I like really great low bass rumble, with a gradual slope down to around 120hz. The 1990/Bose signature is sort of the reverse of this, being below the 2017 Harman target in the sub bass but fairly boosted in the high bass / low mids. Also, these dynamic drivers are well behind the large planars in terms of sub bass impact potential.

*may be moving the conversation away from the Ananda too much here!
I'm after sub bass with my Anandas as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back