Hifiman Ananda
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,671 of 4,987
Thank you for your help. I definitely need it. That's something I'm going to look into. I want as much detail as possible without giving up bass.

Just a heads up, the NeoMusicia cables reduce/change the bass so if you're looking for bass, steer clear of these. They however, shift the overall sound impression towards detail and treble. Bass control is tightened, sub-bass rumble is reduced.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #2,672 of 4,987
My periapt cables came, honestly can't tell the difference sonically from the stock cables but they are a loto tougher and nicer. Apart from the understably lengthy lead time I'd recommend periapt

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,673 of 4,987
My periapt cables came, honestly can't tell the difference sonically from the stock cables but they are a loto tougher and nicer. Apart from the understably lengthy lead time I'd recommend periapt
Nice to see expectation bias hasn't taken its toll on you :wink: decently made cables shouldn't alter the sound of a headphone, nothing audible at least.

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2,676 of 4,987
Nice to see expectation bias hasn't taken its toll on you :wink: decently made cables shouldn't alter the sound of a headphone, nothing audible at least.

I purchased my pair of Periapt cables mostly because the original cables that accompanied my HE-4xx were too short. Now that I have the Ananda and have compared the stock cable (Ananda) with the Periapt, the differences are subtle. My impressions are that the bass and midrange is clearer and more defined with the Periapt. Event if that weren't the case, the build quality and customization options available at reasonable prices are enough to warrant the upgrade. You may notice more of a difference once they open up.

MrMarc

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #2,677 of 4,987

So the converse is that crappy headphone cables (HFM a famous example) sound like (pronounced in faux French) "garbage", making any reasonable cable sound quite nice in comparison. Examples: HE-5SE, HE-6se, HEX v2, HE-500 that I own.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #2,679 of 4,987
How well Ananda respond to EQ? I am trying to decide between Ananda and LCD2C (I had it before).
This is exactly what I've been playing with this week.
I don't like to EQ, but I was missing sub-bass and that snare drum bite I love so much in my HE500.
I'm using oratory1990's and looking everywhere for recommendations.
I can assure you that Ananda responds pretty well to EQ.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #2,680 of 4,987
This is exactly what I've been playing with this week.
I don't like to EQ, but I was missing sub-bass and that snare drum bite I love so much in my HE500.
I'm using oratory1990's and looking everywhere for recommendations.
I can assure you that Ananda responds pretty well to EQ.
Thanks, I always use EQ but not heavy.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #2,681 of 4,987
So the converse is that crappy headphone cables (HFM a famous example) sound like (pronounced in faux French) "garbage", making any reasonable cable sound quite nice in comparison. Examples: HE-5SE, HE-6se, HEX v2, HE-500 that I own.
Hifiman cables are *decently* made in that sound signature doesn't change when shifting to a third party cable. It would be interesting to see someone measuring the difference of FR between the stock Hifiman cable and a third party one to prove my first comment otherwise. However, cable build quality is overall lackluster, too thin to my liking and bends too easily.

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,682 of 4,987
Hifiman cables are *decently* made in that sound signature doesn't change when shifting to a third party cable.

No, not in the least. I disagree 100%. I have 4 HFM cans that do not follow your statement, not even close.

I don't have time for details, later on today I'll post them. I also find cases with no differences - HD-600, LCD2, every balanced interconnect I ever touched (dozens). So I stand one foot in either camp overall, but am always looking for exceptions and non-exceptions.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2,684 of 4,987
OK, back:

My first hifiman can was a used HE-500 with the stock cable reterminated by me to balanced. I got used to the sound for what - 6-8 months (you know "broken in ears" and all that). Then I bought a used (originally sold in Japan) HE5-LE with two cables, the stock one and an old Black Dragon v1 which I knew was some sort of high end brand. They both had the old style conmnectors, so I tried that Black Dragon v1 vs stock silver plate HE-500 cable. Instantly obvious differences. BD had less ringing/splash in the treble, and a very menacing but musical way with bass under 40 Hz. I got the wife to change the cables, and asked her to toss a coin to come up with the order, to listen, then I wore a thick towel so I couldn't ID them by touch/weight. Same thing, called it right 6 for 6.

Then went back to the HE5-LE. No test needed, in that case the mids were also much better, it could be the stock cable is shot, it sounded worse than the other HFM stock cables I have experienced (HE-6, HE-5se, MD-4XX).

I bought myself a HEX v2 with stock and artic cardas cables - both terminated in balanced. Not the same size as the old HFM. Again the differences were not subtle. Due to the word on the headphone I decided to try a silver cable (used Ted Allen litz). Again it killed the stock, but it was close with the copper Artic. Given I knew that silver was "supposed" to be better, I could have been influenced, so thats a draw.

Finally, the HE6se, went ahead and bought a new but cheap (by high end standards) cable from Custom Cables (UK). Another wipe out of the stock. And I repeated the towel text 6 times and was 100%.

I purchased a custom cable for my HD-600 balanced and its better than the stock SE, but my amp is much more potent into balanced, so that's a no call. Had a LCD-2 for a short period and the two cables I had sounded the same.

Been using the same amp power cord for 26 years, and the 5-6 it got tossed against over the years didn't outdo it including a ridiculous 5 foot for $5000.00 cretinous one I ran into back when.

Used the same speaker cables for 20 years at one point - DIY.

Use the same Belden balanced interconnects for about 20 years. Now SE, yup hear a lot of variation with those, but why bother? When you can get quieter and cheaper?

I'm not your basic everything matters guy, but I'm not the other guy either. Ears and mind open here - as well as humanely possible.

I'd be happy to replay the HE-500 or HE-6se tests on my gear - easy money, and stick the 'X' in ABX where the sun doesn't shine.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #2,685 of 4,987
I'm slightly kicking myself for not getting a haircut as soon as I'd like because of COVID. Something as simple as shortening the hair around the ear changes the sound signature on the Anandas for the better. I was surprised on the detail and bass that I gained from the tighter seal on the earcups. Goes to show that common sense isn't as common as you think. :expressionless:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back