Hifiman Ananda
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #2,611 of 4,987
I had a 400i and a 4xx both with over 500 hours on them. Found they barely improved with big changes up front. On a tight budget both are viable/reasonable but vs a $700 can, or a used HE-500 they do not do it for me.
It's IMO..."still quite impressive 'for what it is' "....and 'what it is' is basically entry level in the Hifiman line up. Not to be mistaken for cans higher up the food chain. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #2,612 of 4,987
It's IMO..."still quite impressive 'for what it is' "....and 'what it is' is basically entry level in the Hifiman line up. Not to be mistaken for cans higher up the food chain. :o2smile:
The HE-400i was also my entry to planars and the Hifiman lineup, so I would still recommend it to newcomers looking for a more budget planar option.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #2,614 of 4,987
This is the Ananda thread, so that seems to be the price/quality level, not the 400*.

So yes as a budget can it's good. Sundara is a budget can too and its better. Seems like a better comp to the Ananda.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #2,615 of 4,987
Cool, I’m happy seeing so many people here like the HE400i and I too started with HFM and the HE400i.

Gawd, the HE400i, that takes me back all the way to before I even had my THX amp and was using a Sound Blaster X G6. I remember being so impressed with the HE400i on the G6 that I decided to go audiophile with the THX amp. Glad I did both.

I remember really liking the mids on the HE400i and was wondering if others here like the mids on the HE400i too? I remember the HE400i mids really made voices pop and Youtube videos really sound like I was in the room with the person talking, like Zeos. Really good acoustics. I remember not liking the HE400i cable and purchased the Newfonics(?) cable (non SPC) and liking it better than the stock cable. I don’t think I ever tried a SPC cable on the HE400i and I would be interested in hearing if others here have. I remember the HE400i having a smooth and non-harsh top end that did not extend, at least with the cables I had, and the bass was good, but did not extend either, again at least with the cables I was using.

All in all, I really like the HE400i and think it’s a huge bargain at around $179.00 and I feel it really has its place for making voices pop and Youtube acoustics sound like I’m there in the room.

The reason for my previous post was not to compare the HE400i to the Ananda, as this would be silly, but to offer my opinion and say I would not use the Ananda, or the Sundara, for Rock or Metal as my opinion is that a bigger mid and lower top end would be better. Also, the OP asked a question on two headphones in different price ranges, sub $500 and over $500, so I offered an alternative for each category.

Also, I believe in burn-in and feel the HE400i got bigger sounding with break-in. Bigger bass, bigger mids, and smoother top end.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,617 of 4,987
How has QC been on the Ananda?

Noticed people have mentioned issues with Hifiman products throughout the years, though it's hard to ascertain a percentage.

I believe it's a hit or miss. But I own the Ananda and I personally think the build quality is not that bad (as reviewers made them out to be). To be sure, nowhere near the level of construction as my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 or Focal Elegia, but sonically speaking, the Ananda is still my preference. It's somewhat of a compensation I guess...

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #2,618 of 4,987
Cool, I’m happy seeing so many people here like the HE400i and I too started with HFM and the HE400i.

Gawd, the HE400i, that takes me back all the way to before I even had my THX amp and was using a Sound Blaster X G6. I remember being so impressed with the HE400i on the G6 that I decided to go audiophile with the THX amp. Glad I did both.

I remember really liking the mids on the HE400i and was wondering if others here like the mids on the HE400i too? I remember the HE400i mids really made voices pop and Youtube videos really sound like I was in the room with the person talking, like Zeos. Really good acoustics. I remember not liking the HE400i cable and purchased the Newfonics(?) cable (non SPC) and liking it better than the stock cable. I don’t think I ever tried a SPC cable on the HE400i and I would be interested in hearing if others here have. I remember the HE400i having a smooth and non-harsh top end that did not extend, at least with the cables I had, and the bass was good, but did not extend either, again at least with the cables I was using.

All in all, I really like the HE400i and think it’s a huge bargain at around $179.00 and I feel it really has its place for making voices pop and Youtube acoustics sound like I’m there in the room.

The reason for my previous post was not to compare the HE400i to the Ananda, as this would be silly, but to offer my opinion and say I would not use the Ananda, or the Sundara, for Rock or Metal as my opinion is that a bigger mid and lower top end would be better. Also, the OP asked a question on two headphones in different price ranges, sub $500 and over $500, so I offered an alternative for each category.

Also, I believe in burn-in and feel the HE400i got bigger sounding with break-in. Bigger bass, bigger mids, and smoother top end.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Agree with your finding of the mids. That got me hooked into the Hifiman lineup.

But we should stay back on topic as this is the Ananda thread. I would likely get an Ananda over an Arya at some point in the future because I don't really need the imaging, stage width and the better detail retrieval the Arya has with about double its asking price from the Ananda. I'd like to get it because of its tonality and the tall presentation.

Noticed people have mentioned issues with Hifiman products throughout the years, though it's hard to ascertain a percentage.

I believe the more common QC issues on the lineup recently is the Sundara. I haven't really seen much complaints about the Ananda, but that's only one sample size.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,619 of 4,987

I had an driver issue with my first Ananda unit. Hifiman's QC is hit or miss, sometimes ranging from not good to non-existent, IMO, but I've found that their in-warranty customer service is very quick and responsive. They quickly sent me a shipping label and another set as soon as they received the defective unit. There is that, at least. I purchased them mainly based on sound quality vs price, overall value.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #2,620 of 4,987
I believe it's a hit or miss. But I own the Ananda and I personally think the build quality is not that bad (as reviewers made them out to be). To be sure, nowhere near the level of construction as my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 or Focal Elegia, but sonically speaking, the Ananda is still my preference. It's somewhat of a compensation I guess...
Hifiman build quality gets affected by their acoustical choices. This is the most open headphone in the market. Sound is totally raw. They have to make it fragile to achieve this sound. Used materials and lack of swivel can be criticized but this is the cheapest egg shaped headphone. They wanna distinguish the higher end ones with better material and swivel. QC is another story. Yes it's not good.

Edit: My build/qc problems:
When i move the cups backwards it hits the metal yoke. Since it's plastic it gets scratch marks. Really bad design. It's more excessive on the left cup. I noticed this problem late. Now i don't adjust the cups backwards.

Second problem earpads are not exactly the same. Left earpad's leather part bulge out, right one is totally flat. It's probably affecting the frequency response.

Problem 3: Headband adjustment marks. All Sundara and Ananda headphones have this.

Problem 4: Left headband adjustment is way more stiff. Also when i put the headphone on my desk left cup stays below of right cup. It's not totally flat. It's like internally rotated a bit.

Problem 5: There are slight gaps between earpads and the earcups. Mounting ring is bulging out. Mounting ring is not totally inside of the cups.

Problem 6: Sometimes having creaking noises coming from left cup. Especially when i move my head.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #2,621 of 4,987
Fyi, ditch the stock Ananda cable. A fellow head-fier built me a litz occ cable. And now I'm convinced that Hifiman purposefully sabotages their own headphones. The litz cable is way more detailed and clear, with killer bass. Imaging is way better as well.
The thing I don't understand is the Ananda comes with 2 cables. I would rather just have 1 that sounds good.

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #2,622 of 4,987
Fyi, ditch the stock Ananda cable. A fellow head-fier built me a litz occ cable. And now I'm convinced that Hifiman purposefully sabotages their own headphones. The litz cable is way more detailed and clear, with killer bass. Imaging is way better as well.
The thing I don't understand is the Ananda comes with 2 cables. I would rather just have 1 that sounds good.

Yeah agree. I made a custom cable and I do think it's a must to get the most out of this headphone. Mine is a silver one.

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #2,623 of 4,987
Hifiman build quality gets affected by their acoustical choices. This is the most open headphone in the market. Sound is totally raw. They have to make it fragile to achieve this sound. Used materials and lack of swivel can be criticized but this is the cheapest egg shaped headphone. They wanna distinguish the higher end ones with better material and swivel. QC is another story. Yes it's not good.

When i move the cups backwards it hits the metal yoke. Since it's plastic it gets scratch marks. Really bad design. It's more excessive on the left cup. I noticed this problem late. Now i don't adjust the cups backwards.

Second problem earpads are not exactly the same. Left earpad's leather part bulge out, right one is totally flat. It's probably affecting the frequency response.

Problem 3: Headband adjustment marks. All Sundara and Ananda headphones have this.

Problem 4: Left headband adjustment is way more stiff. Also when i put the headphone on my desk left cup stays below of right cup. It's not totally flat. It's like internally rotated a bit.

Problem 5: There are slight gaps between earpads and the earcups. Mounting ring is bulging out. Mounting ring is not totally inside of the cups.

Problem 6: Sometimes having creaking noises coming from left cup. Especially when i move my head.
IMHO, when you get a Hifiman headphone (any headphone really), please do a thorough look-through and sound test. Make sure everything works satisfactorily for you before you decide to keep them. That makes it much easier to contact them for an exchange w/o the manufacturer being able to claim that you damaged them. Protect yourself and your investment.

Aug 14, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #2,624 of 4,987

Hi there, can you please email us at customerservice@hifiman.com so that we can look into what’s happened and to see how we can help?

Thank you!

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2,625 of 4,987
I made a custom cable and I do think it's a must to get the most out of this headphone. Mine is a silver one.

Pure silver or silver plated? If pure, and if you hear any sonic differences from stock, could you describe what the sound changes are? I've avoided pure silver for the Ananda's as I figured it would thin out the vocals too much, but curiosity has the better of me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back