Hifiman Ananda
Jun 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,101 of 4,987
Ananda's response to eq so so good. Using EQ apo and peace gui here is my eq recommendation for Ananda.
Depends on your preferation i find 3 area to adjust.
1- Bass: Not necessary actually. Sub bass is quite good but Ananda bass is a bit soft. EQ doesn't fix that but helps a bit. Low shelf 80hz eq, adjust how you like.
2- 1600hz: Couple of db helps to give more fun/energy to some guitars.
3- 16k: I think Ananda lacks air above 10k. Lack of air can cause the feeling of muddyness, compression and limited soundstage. You can use default 16k slider on the peace gui and give it a couple of db. It unlocks the rest of the soundstage and brings air to the instruments.

Famous 8k peak ? i think it's fine. Sweet spot in my opinion. Ananda presents highs so beautifully. I think treble is the strongest part of the Ananda except the lack of air. Vocals and sub bass great as well.
Difference from Ananda to the HEK series is air. HEK series has around under 10k treble is why it sounds the way it does compared to Ananda. Some people will say that's what causes the HEK to sound bright, but no denying what it does to depth in imaging.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,103 of 4,987
I'm expecting my Ananda to be delivered in a couple of days. Excited but trying to have quiet patience. I've read that Ananda is easy to drive but scales with more power. I've got an Emotiva a-100 (12 watts @ 33 ohms) fed from DAC and tube buffer. This may be overkill as far as power but the system delivers a pretty good balance between power, dynamics, detail, and smoothness. I'd like to know if any of you are driving the Ananda with more powerful amps and what are your impressions of it vs less powerful amps/DAPs. Do you notice more bass, dynamics, and details with more power? All are welcome to respond. E

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,104 of 4,987
I'm expecting my Ananda to be delivered in a couple of days. Excited but trying to have quiet patience. I've read that Ananda is easy to drive but scales with more power. I've got an Emotiva a-100 fed from DAC and tube buffer. This may be overkill as far as power but the system delivers pretty a good balance between power, dynamics, detail, and smoothness. I'd like to know if any of you are driving the Ananda with more powerful amps and what are your impressions of it vs less powerful amps/DAPs. Like, do you notice more bass, dynamics, and details with more power? All are welcome to respond. E
I think more power really better. They are more sensitive than 1990 on paper but not in reality in my experience. I also recommend transparent good measuring solid state amp since Ananda sound soft and smooth already. ''Quick'' and ''harsh'' sound of solid state amps might work better.

My experience is that be ready for mental or physical burn in. They might sound odd out of the box. Also most important advice from me: make sure it fits perfectly. Earcups are huge and you can wear them in multiple ways but in order to get good sound you need tight fit. Earcups are already angled but make sure downside of the earcups(where you connect the cable) facing a bit forward. Fit is crucial in order to get intended sound. Otherwise it will lack impact and it will sound thin. Soundstage and imaging will be odd. Height and weight of the sound will be missing.

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,105 of 4,987
I'm expecting my Ananda to be delivered in a couple of days. Excited but trying to have quiet patience. I've read that Ananda is easy to drive but scales with more power. I've got an Emotiva a-100 fed from DAC and tube buffer. This may be overkill as far as power but the system delivers pretty a good balance between power, dynamics, detail, and smoothness. I'd like to know if any of you are driving the Ananda with more powerful amps and what are your impressions of it vs less powerful amps/DAPs. Like, do you notice more bass, dynamics, and details with more power? All are welcome to respond. E
All I can say, is that better gear sounds better. This not exactly related to power. Benchmark DAC3 w/headphone output is great with volume knob at about 11am (but switched internally by -20dB), Schiit Magni sounds less good at about 11am on the dial. Directly from notebook or phone at 75 % volume you loose lots of the magic.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2,106 of 4,987
I think more power really better. They are more sensitive than 1990 on paper but not in reality in my experience. I also recommend transparent good measuring solid state amp since Ananda sound soft and smooth already. ''Quick'' and ''harsh'' sound of solid state amps might work better.

My experience is that be ready for mental or physical burn in. They might sound odd out of the box. Also most important advice from me: make sure it fits perfectly. Earcups are huge and you can wear them in multiple ways but in order to get good sound you need tight fit. Earcups are already angled but make sure downside of the earcups(where you connect the cable) facing a bit forward. Fit is crucial in order to get intended sound. Otherwise it will lack impact and it will sound thin. Soundstage and imaging will be odd. Height and weight of the sound will be missing.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the Emotiva basx a-100 as my amp. I have the jumpers in (resistors bypassed). 12 watts @ 33 ohms (closest impedance spec to Ananda's 25 ohms). Not worried about power. I MUST use a preamp/buffer to lower the volume to a useable level. I just wondered how the Anandas sound with more capable, dynamic amps, i.e. I've read about others having issues with lack of or timid bass. IMO, my Sundaras were bass light out of the box. After a few days of burn in with pink noise and music the bass and soundstage increased pretty dramatically, almost like a switch was pulled. Just curious, your thoughts....E. P.S., I don't know if they are too large for my head but I've been looking at Dekoni nuggets or similar for the fit.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #2,107 of 4,987
All I can say, is that better gear sounds better. This not exactly related to power. Benchmark DAC3 w/headphone output is great with volume knob at about 11am (but switched internally by -20dB), Schiit Magni sounds less good at about 11am on the dial. Directly from notebook or phone at 75 % volume you loose lots of the magic.
Thanks for your time. I don't 'quite' have (by a long shot - haha) Benchmark money. I'm stretching with the Anandas to be honest but my desire (addiction?) for better sound drives me sometimes - especially since I'm not taking any chances with Covid, by staying inside. I'm treating myself for my good staying inside behavior. I'm ballin' on a budget with the Emotiva basx a-100 as the amp (resistors bypassed) 12 watts @ 33 ohms. Tube pre/buffer for volume control, too much power without. Just curious if the impressions of the Ananda being bass light/less dynamic are more about power, no burn in, or a combination of both. My experience with the Sundaras out of the box being bass light, closed in, and bright went away after a few days of burn in with pink noise and (some) bass heavy music (and power). I'm hoping that Ananda will be similar. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #2,108 of 4,987
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the Emotiva basx a-100 as my amp. I have the jumpers in (resistors bypassed). 12 watts @ 33 ohms (closest impedance spec to Ananda's 25 ohms). Not worried about power. I MUST use a preamp/buffer to lower the volume to a useable level. I just wondered how the Anandas sound with more capable, dynamic amps, i.e. I've read about others having issues with lack of or timid bass. IMO, my Sundaras were bass light out of the box. After a few days of burn in with pink noise and music the bass and soundstage increased pretty dramatically, almost like a switch was pulled. Just curious, your thoughts....E. P.S., I don't know if they are too large for my head but I've been looking at Dekoni nuggets or similar for the fit.
Check this out. Ananda has more bass but as i said tight fit is very important because earcups are big and leaky. Bass will be soft and sub bass heavy with the weak fit. Tight fit recovers the punch and slam. Ananda bass presentation is a bit different than other headphones i've used. It doesn't come from drivers with pressure. It's like a subwoofer inside the soundstage. Bass comes from atmosphere instead of earcups. Bass image can be huge, height is spectacular.

I didn't like the bass at first. It was very soft and lacking slam but i thought i'm wearing the headphone correctly since it can stay on your head whatever you do but the correct way of wear is really assuring tight fit. Imo Hifiman should use instructions for this lol. Night and day difference. I'm personally fan of Ananda's bass.

What i don't like is treble. This is controversial and subjective but i like more treble. I guess i'm treblehead lol. Especially the ''air'' area above 10k. Ananda sound a bit muted and compressed coming from Beyer headphones. My personal tonality preferation is exactly the DT 770 250 ohm. It has brilliant air and treble, perfect mids and perfect bass. Ananda technically capable headphone but it's tonality hides it's capability in my opinion. It works great with equalizer.

DT 770: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mejnlwpqm7uxtly/Beyerdynamic DT770 (old earpads).pdf?dl=0
Ananda: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1wivpf8901uflr/Hifiman Ananda.pdf?dl=0

DT 770: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#440/3992
Ananda: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#670/3992

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,109 of 4,987
I also recommend transparent good measuring solid state amp since Ananda sound soft and smooth already. ''Quick'' and ''harsh'' sound of solid state amps might work better.

I can't imagine a time when a transparent amp is a bad idea, so I'm with you there.

As for the Ananda being soft and smooth - the bass impact as with the HEX v2, and HEK v1 is softer than with the classic HE-6 for instance or a number of newer cans. Quick is also a good thing for amps to be. However "harsh" I can't go along with - for the Ananda or any transducer. The Ananda in particular has a rise in the 7-10kHz area which will just rub ones ears raw to tie to a "harsh" amp. I think other terms might however fit better - like detailed, lucid...

Yes huge. I would be bet most people need to rise the cups up higher, and depending on your jaw line and shape of head it can be a challenge because you want the fit not to have gaps - for the bass to escape. Sometimes I think the Marketing guys got too much leeway on the size/shape of the cups vs the Engineering crew on the design.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #2,110 of 4,987
Check this out. Ananda has more bass but as i said tight fit is very important because earcups are big and leaky. Bass will be soft and sub bass heavy with the weak fit. Tight fit recovers the punch and slam. Ananda bass presentation is a bit different than other headphones i've used. It doesn't come from drivers with pressure. It's like a subwoofer inside the soundstage. Bass comes from atmosphere instead of earcups. Bass image can be huge, height is spectacular.

I didn't like the bass at first. It was very soft and lacking slam but i thought i'm wearing the headphone correctly since it can stay on your head whatever you do but the correct way of wear is really assuring tight fit. Imo Hifiman should use instructions for this lol. Night and day difference. I'm personally fan of Ananda's bass.

What i don't like is treble. This is controversial and subjective but i like more treble. I guess i'm treblehead lol. Especially the ''air'' area above 10k. Ananda sound a bit muted and compressed coming from Beyer headphones. My personal tonality preferation is exactly the DT 770 250 ohm. It has brilliant air and treble, perfect mids and perfect bass. Ananda technically capable headphone but it's tonality hides it's capability in my opinion. It works great with equalizer.

DT 770: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mejnlwpqm7uxtly/Beyerdynamic DT770 (old earpads).pdf?dl=0
Ananda: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1wivpf8901uflr/Hifiman Ananda.pdf?dl=0

DT 770: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#440/3992
Ananda: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#670/3992

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #2,111 of 4,987
[QUOTE="ezduzit2500, post: 15682664, membe
My set is supposed to come in tomorrow and I'm excited with anticipation. I used to have a set of Audio Technica ath m50x cans and their treble was too sharp for me, nevermind the bass. Never heard the dt 770s but I've read about "the Beyer peak" and if it's treble is similar or sharper than the m50x it may not be for me. I like detail but also smoothness and balance. The Sundaras sounded slightly too sharp out of the box but became well balanced with burn in and playing time. I'm looking forward to a hands on with the Ananda. The Anandas measure close to the Sundara while having a slightly different ~9k rise and a different and slightly less upper treble response (~14k +) than the Sundara, according to DIY-Audio-Heaven, while having a deeper bass response. I liked the Sundaras and if the Anandas offer more overall performance and are also still as or more detailed up top I think that I'll like them and I would consider my money well spent. More will be revealed though....

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,112 of 4,987
I can't imagine a time when a transparent amp is a bad idea, so I'm with you there.

As for the Ananda being soft and smooth - the bass impact as with the HEX v2, and HEK v1 is softer than with the classic HE-6 for instance or a number of newer cans. Quick is also a good thing for amps to be. However "harsh" I can't go along with - for the Ananda or any transducer. The Ananda in particular has a rise in the 7-10kHz area which will just rub ones ears raw to tie to a "harsh" amp. I think other terms might however fit better - like detailed, lucid...

Yes huge. I would be bet most people need to rise the cups up higher, and depending on your jaw line and shape of head it can be a challenge because you want the fit not to have gaps - for the bass to escape. Sometimes I think the Marketing guys got too much leeway on the size/shape of the cups vs the Engineering crew on the design.
Yeah i've used quote for the ''harsh''. Harsh is not actually a good thing lol. Ananda for me lacks a bit excitement up top. Too soft and comfortable to me. It's thin sometimes. Ananda offers really safe and comfortable listen and not brave enough to engage you sometimes.

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #2,113 of 4,987
[QUOTE="ezduzit2500, post: 15682664, membe
My set is supposed to come in tomorrow and I'm excited with anticipation. I used to have a set of Audio Technica ath m50x cans and their treble was too sharp for me, nevermind the bass. Never heard the dt 770s but I've read about "the Beyer peak" and if it's treble is similar or sharper than the m50x it may not be for me. I like detail but also smoothness and balance. The Sundaras sounded slightly too sharp out of the box but became well balanced with burn in and playing time. I'm looking forward to a hands on with the Ananda. The Anandas measure close to the Sundara while having a slightly different ~9k rise and a different and slightly less upper treble response (~14k +) than the Sundara, according to DIY-Audio-Heaven, while having a deeper bass response. I liked the Sundaras and if the Anandas offer more overall performance and are also still as or more detailed up top I think that I'll like them and I would consider my money well spent. More will be revealed though....
Well the Beyer peak is real but it's not an issue with the 770. M50X in my opinion terrible headphone so i don't wanna compare with it. Ananda definitely smooth and comfortable sounding headphone but can have thinnes with some songs. This thinnes is not brightness though. I'm not fan of EQ but i'm experimenting with it to see what can i do with the sound signature.

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,115 of 4,987
M50X is fine for the price point ($100-$150 usd). It's not my top pick for that price category, but it's a great starter audiophile headphone that shows users what sound improvements can be made compared to cheaper headphones. The fact that it has it's shortcomings only forces enthusiasts to continue climbing up the headphone ladder. I've still got mine, relegated to dirty tasks like yard work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back