Hifiman Ananda
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #2,116 of 4,994
Well the Beyer peak is real but it's not an issue with the 770. M50X in my opinion terrible headphone so i don't wanna compare with it. Ananda definitely smooth and comfortable sounding headphone but can have thinnes with some songs. This thinnes is not brightness though. I'm not fan of EQ but i'm experimenting with it to see what can i do with the sound signature.
I just received the Anandas in the mail today. They sent me the Ananda BT instead of the Ananda wired even though I only paid for the wired. I've got them on my head right now. While I appreciate the store I bought these from doing me a 'favor' by sending a more costly set than I ordered, I am going to send these back because there is no option to use these wired. I'm stuck with bluetooth only. The Ananda BT may be good for some but I rather like being able to use my sources, which include Tidal Hifi, a DAC, a tubed preamp/buffer, and a muy powerful (for headphones) Emotiva a-100. That system sounds good and I've spent good time and money putting it together so that I could have better sound than many (with not the most money), and the Ananda was the last component. While the Ananda BT has a built in DAC/amp that works with all sources, IMO the bluetooth and amp are it's biggest downfalls. My set is hard to pair sometimes and cuts out. I haven't found out how to stream via bluetooth and charge the set at the same time. Also it's difficult to use the one power button to toggle between that button's different 'modes'. I had to download a driver to use it via USB from my laptop, and using the headphone via USB from laptop the volume is less than using it completely by bluetooth. Weird that USB out is consistently at a lower volume than the internal amp. The headphone itself sounds good though, a little sharp on top, a little fat on the bottom, both of which I hear are different from the wired version and could be functions of the DAC and amp inside the unit or just a slightly different tuning. I'd read comparisons of both wired and wireless versions. My quest to acquire a set is still on going as I'm waiting for my Amazon refund from the Sundara return to be processed to gift card before I order another set.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #2,117 of 4,994
M50X is fine for the price point ($100-$150 usd). It's not my top pick for that price category, but it's a great starter audiophile headphone that shows users what sound improvements can be made compared to cheaper headphones. The fact that it has it's shortcomings only forces enthusiasts to continue climbing up the headphone ladder. I've still got mine, relegated to dirty tasks like yard work.
Nah at that price point there are much better headphones. Night and day difference. You can get old Beyer DT line up, Fidelio X2, 58X etc... M50X is like crap beats headphones compared to these. It really forces you to climbing up headphone ladder though.

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,118 of 4,994
I just received the Anandas in the mail today. They sent me the Ananda BT instead of the Ananda wired even though I only paid for the wired. I've got them on my head right now. While I appreciate the store I bought these from doing me a 'favor' by sending a more costly set than I ordered, I am going to send these back because there is no option to use these wired. I'm stuck with bluetooth only. The Ananda BT may be good for some but I rather like being able to use my sources, which include Tidal Hifi, a DAC, a tubed preamp/buffer, and a muy powerful (for headphones) Emotiva a-100. That system sounds good and I've spent good time and money putting it together so that I could have better sound than most (with not the most money), and the Ananda was the last component. While the Ananda BT has a built in DAC/amp that works with all sources, IMO the bluetooth and amp are it's biggest downfalls. My set is hard to pair sometimes and cuts out. I haven't found out how to stream via bluetooth and charge the set at the same time. Also it's difficult to use the one power button to toggle between that button's different 'modes'. I had to download a driver to use it via USB from my laptop, and using the headphone via USB from laptop the volume is less than using it completely by bluetooth. Weird that USB out is consistently at a lower volume than the internal amp. The headphone itself sounds good though, a little sharp on top, a little fat on the bottom, both of which I hear are different from the wired version and are functions of the DAC and amp inside the unit. I'd read comparisons of both wired and wireless versions. My quest to acquire a set is still on going as I'm waiting for my Amazon refund from the Sundara return to be processed to gift card before I order another set.
Well that's unlucky. I heard Ananda BT is significantly worse than Ananda. I haven't listen them myself though.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #2,120 of 4,994
Actually they sound better.
More full , greater bass with added body and better decay performance.
Unfortunately you loose the analogue connection and thats a great minus for people who own decent electronics.
I know right...? They may sound good (I'd stop before saying 'better') for someone who does not have a dedicated system or who wants convenience but I'm all about the analog section and the 'system'. A good system can transform a headphone or speakers. A system can make a good headphone sound great and vice versa. I can tailor the sound of my system to my likes as far as volume, power, soundstage, detail, sources, etc,...by combining the attributes of different components. Can't eq in a soundstage or tailor sound quality with only one way to listen - i.e. bluetooth. Can't stream Tidal Hifi MQA over bluetooth either. Ananda BT is just not for me.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #2,121 of 4,994
As I said the omission of the analogue connection is a big minus.
If the Ananda BT will be upgraded to a version 2 with analogue connection they are going to be a killer.
Obviously Hifiman skipped on the analogue connection in order not to compromise sales of OG Ananda.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,122 of 4,994
I have high doubts BT version compared to wired will sound better. BT has low fidelity codecs you'd have to deal with and BT singals can cause odd tonal issues in sound compared to consistancies with wired. BT amping ia not on the level of a good desktop amp. If you are however driving with a portable device, it might be comparable, but really try some decent amping on your headphones if spreading impressions around with a portable device amping, which will clash impressions with people that actually amps their headphone properly.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,123 of 4,994
I don't assume.
I have heard both.
We are not talking about BT connection but with USB dac connection via cable running the internal dac/amp of Ananda BT.
It is fuller sounding with better bass and above all better decay performance.
It is not as ethereal as Ananda OG , more body to it.
I prefer it but your mileage may vary and that's perfect.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2,124 of 4,994
I don't assume.
I have heard both.
We are not talking about BT connection but with USB dac connection via cable running the internal dac/amp of Ananda BT.
It is fuller sounding with better bass and above all better decay performance.
It is not as ethereal as Ananda OG , more body to it.
I prefer it but your mileage may vary and that's perfect.

Seems like it's build and name very similiar but it's actually a different headphone. There are more peaks and dips and technical qualities not as good as Ananda. It's heavier and 35 ohm instead of 25. You might like it's tonality more though, that's subjective.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,125 of 4,994
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #2,126 of 4,994
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #2,128 of 4,994
As I said the omission of the analogue connection is a big minus.
If the Ananda BT will be upgraded to a version 2 with analogue connection they are going to be a killer.
Obviously Hifiman skipped on the analogue connection in order not to compromise sales of OG Ananda.
That makes sense to me...and I'll re-read your reviews also. I am listening to the BT Anandas as I write this and I hear a sharpness/siblance on some songs. Do the wired versions have this also? The Sundara had that also fresh out of the box, settled in after a few days burn in/play in and proper amping.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,129 of 4,994
I have high doubts BT version compared to wired will sound better. BT has low fidelity codecs you'd have to deal with and BT singals can cause odd tonal issues in sound compared to consistancies with wired. BT amping ia not on the level of a good desktop amp. If you are however driving with a portable device, it might be comparable, but really try some decent amping on your headphones if spreading impressions around with a portable device amping, which will clash impressions with people that actually amps their headphone properly.
I don't believe the small BT amp inside the Ananda can match my Emotiva basx a-100 for effortless power, bass, depth, soundstage, etc. I could be wrong though as I haven't gotten the wired version yet. I'm waiting, itching, to find out.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #2,130 of 4,994
Thank you.
Anyway both are very good and of course the Ananda is the obvious choice is someone already owns extra electronics.
Question: Did the wired Ananda have a piercing, sibilant treble sometimes when you tried it with a desktop headphone amp? My setup is warm-ish yet detailed with the Emotiva a-100 and a tube pre/buffer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back