Hifiman Ananda
May 23, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,011 of 4,987
been eyeing the arya but want to get some insight from ananda owners who listened to both

is it really worth the extra $600?
which is more warm?

this will be an addition to my collection (hd800s, lcd2f, andromeda) so want to look for something a bit fun/warm/laidback

They are both somewhat cold, but the Arya is richer, thicker sounding - more meat on the bones, also it has much deeper detailing. It does have a peak around 5k which could be annoying over time.

The Ananda has a big peak from 7-10 which gives it a sense of brightness and detail, but I suspect if you EQ that flat, that the sense of detail will recede.

The bass is similar in both. Arya is built to better standards. If you have the patience you could locate a used Arya, or wait for the inevitable price decline to get the prices closer.

May 23, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #2,012 of 4,987
been eyeing the arya but want to get some insight from ananda owners who listened to both

is it really worth the extra $600?
which is more warm?

this will be an addition to my collection (hd800s, lcd2f, andromeda) so want to look for something a bit fun/warm/laidback

If you're looking for something more laid back than the LCD-2 series, you may be looking in the wrong place for that sort of sound signature. Both the Ananda and Arya especially are noted mainly for their treble extension and clarity, also depending on what amplifier/upstream gear you will be using. With that said, unless you are looking for an easier drive, more portable solution for pairing with a DAP or phone, the Ananda may be better suited for that application.

May 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,013 of 4,987
That's a hotly divided debate
I hope to help others in the same way
Not much of a debate if one side's argument flies in the face of science and engineering. Never see these expensive cable companies do ABX tests. I wonder why?

I fail to see how peddling snake oil helps anyone, but the snake oil merchants line their pockets. If you have evidence to the contrary, then you're welcome to present it. If you want to spend excess money on crap, then go ahead, but promoting it to others is wrong and should be called out.

Expensive cables could be useful for money laundering though...

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,015 of 4,987
Don't EQ more than 5 db. Details are intact.

So if you drop the peak to somewhere near normal it will remove the etched highlighting effect that the Ananda has, but not deal any setback to the sense of details?

My comment to most posters would be *sure thing*, but since its you I'll add it to another reason to get a pair and them on my EQ.

May 24, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,016 of 4,987
The Ananda does detail pretty good, it's just the peak that masks its full qualities. The Ananda is definitely not a fake detail headphone like some Beyers.

May 24, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #2,017 of 4,987
The Ananda does detail pretty good, it's just the peak that masks its full qualities. The Ananda is definitely not a fake detail headphone like some Beyers.
Ananda's detail is fine. Nothing jaw-dropping, but it is enough for me.

So if you drop the peak to somewhere near normal it will remove the etched highlighting effect that the Ananda has, but not deal any setback to the sense of details?

My comment to most posters would be *sure thing*, but since its you I'll add it to another reason to get a pair and them on my EQ.
I'm using solderdude's passive filter tailored for the Ananda. To my ear, there is no change to the Ananda's technicalities, except that it makes it a little calmer. I still do sense the etchiness a little bit sometimes.

Nowadays, I'm not listening much to the Ananda. I really much prefer my HD800, except for the planar bass. When my Verum 1.2 gets here, I'll ditch it.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2,018 of 4,987

I never heard any 'etching' sound from Ananada. I'd find it odd it be described as etching because I know I would hear etching. I have a feeling it's around 3k is what you maybe concerned with.

I know it's etching is more possible on HEK series due to the sustain in the treble area. And my theory is that, it's the reason for depth to the sound due to the way the sound attack and decays.

Ananda doesn't have the treble presense that HEK series has.

I've posted the measurements and they do make sense. Any DIY rig with ringing or peaks can'f be read as such unless actually heard because the rig can create false peaks and valleys.

If you said the same about HE560, without a doubt I'd agree, but can't say the same about Ananda.

The more proper rigs shows the typical hump around 3k, it is a quick rise however, and would be improved if more gradual adding more body to the sound.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,019 of 4,987
Well my entire time with Ananda's is 3 sessions comprised of two hours back when I was listening to 90% HE-500 first two sessions, and the third session also the 500 & HEX v2.

It smacked of cheap transistor amps from the early 70's with an added Beyer high end emphasis. It also seemed the "yang" to the HEX v2's "yin". It's been my feeling for about 2.5 months that if I could get my EQ on them I'd like them more, god knows I like the HEX's much better with an EQ. And yes of all the prior HFM cans I know, the Ananda reminds me of a large cup 560 the most.

May 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,020 of 4,987

I'll take your word for it, and the other two gents writing here are also held in high esteem in the HF firmament.

May 24, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,021 of 4,987
Well my entire time with Ananda's is 3 sessions comprised of two hours back when I was listening to 90% HE-500 first two sessions, and the third session also the 500 & HEX v2.

It smacked of cheap transistor amps from the early 70's with an added Beyer high end emphasis. It also seemed the "yang" to the HEX v2's "yin". It's been my feeling for about 2.5 months that if I could get my EQ on them I'd like them more, god knows I like the HEX's much better with an EQ. And yes of all the prior HFM cans I know, the Ananda reminds me of a large cup 560 the most.
I don't know if HEXV2 is better than Ananda. Ananda seems more technically proficient in terms of detail retrieval. HEXV2 doesn't have as much presence in the upper-mids which causes more laid-back, and easily tolerable, non-offending response. Pulling back the upper-mids like it does make the mids generally more noticible. I think these are the reason why HEXV2 had no sibilence or hardness detected. I think real hardness in treble is expressed in HE-500, HE-6, and the HEK series. I can't say Ananda is on those levels.

May 24, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,022 of 4,987

Checking out reviews and opinions. It seems like 560 is really sharp and bad headphone. People prefer Sundara and describe it as upgraded 560. Ananda is whole another level and even smoother than Sundara. Treble peak discussion in this sub really weird since i don't really see this argument anywhere else. People say it's smooth af. Smoother than even Arya.In fact some people describe it's smoothness is a bit too much.

I can't see any treble here: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#670/3992
Even this one is almost parallel to midrange 300-1000: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/fr-aangedrukt.png?w=614

I'm seeing this treble peak, sharpness, fatiguing, sibilance arguments only in this forum.

May 24, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,023 of 4,987
Checking out reviews and opinions. It seems like 560 is really sharp and bad headphone. People prefer Sundara and describe it as upgraded 560. Ananda is whole another level and even smoother than Sundara. Treble peak discussion in this sub really weird since i don't really see this argument anywhere else. People say it's smooth af. Smoother than even Arya.In fact some people describe it's smoothness is a bit too much.

I can't see any treble here: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#670/3992
Even this one is almost parallel to midrange 300-1000: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/fr-aangedrukt.png?w=614

I'm seeing this treble peak, sharpness, fatiguing, sibilance arguments only in this forum.
We shouldn't be looking at DIY heaven measurements. They are really off.

I've been looking at various measurements, and I get a feeling HEX V1 is worth looking into. I'm curious what's it's difference from the others?

May 24, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,024 of 4,987
I don't know if HEXV2 is better than Ananda. Ananda seems more technically proficient in terms of detail retrieval. HEXV2 doesn't have as much presence in the upper-mids which causes more laid-back, and easily tolerable, non-offending response. Pulling back the upper-mids like it does make the mids generally more noticible. I think these are the reason why HEXV2 had no sibilence or hardness detected. I think real hardness in treble is expressed in HE-500, HE-6, and the HEK series. I can't say Ananda is on those levels.

The HE-6 (4 screw in particular), and HEK v1 and v2 do indeed have some hard areas.

The HE-500 has spots of hardness but overall is darker and richer in the upper mids down to 30 Hz, has better bass attack, with better tone, albeit not as much output as the Ananda under 30 Hz. The upper mids of the 500 are also reduced compared to the Ananda. The 500 also has a spike in the 8-10kHz area which also has some notable ringing so its different than the Ananda, and arguably worse. But overall? I don't see it.

Let's pass over the Oratory 1990 "room adjustment" in the bass, which I have disagreed with in detail before. Let me just say one size does not fit all, and adding a form of distortion to line up headphones with some guys room is an interesting idea, but completely ridiculous as executed.

Where is the obvious 7-10kHz rise in the Ananda? All of the other 6-7 other sites I located seemed to find it outside of Rtings. It's audible, others have mentioned it.

In fact I just looked up Arya, HEK v2, Susvara, HE-6se, Shangri-La, HEX v2 on O_1990 (all six much higher list prices) - and the Ananda is only one with a FLAT eq curve going from 4kHz-20kHz, and 3kHz-4kHz is at most 1 db off. Remarkable! I've never seen a headphone with a flat EQ curve over that span of frequencies. Mistake at the factory!? The Ananda is actually the Shangri-La !!

May 24, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,025 of 4,987

I just did a google 90 minutes ago and found 6-7 graphs with stuff going in the treble and only Rtings/Oratory saying not.

I agree the Ananda is better than the Sundara, and HE5se. I just don't believe the Ananda is smoother from 3k-20k than the HEKse, HE6se, Susvara, Shangri-La as Oratory claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back