Hifiman Ananda
Oct 1, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #1,441 of 4,987
Oct 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,442 of 4,987
Got a few different cables last week, specifically:

1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRO6COI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

2) http://www.oyaide.com/ja/brand/oyaide/earphone_headphone_cable/hpsc-35r

With #2 I'm using some monoprice RCA to 3.5mm adapters to make it compatible.

The verdict is still out on the cables. Both cables offer something different than the stock cable, but not necessarily better or worse. I'm going to keep analyzing them before posting official opinions on them. However, in my testing I noticed something interesting in that the stock cable is what is leading the Ananda's to have a slightly holographic sound to them. This holographic effect is a slight reverb on every sound that allows for the sound to be easier heard (there's more of it in the soundscape), but it also makes every tone a bit artificial since the reverb shouldn't exist. All other cables I try on those headphones completely eliminate the holographic effect, giving better tonality and speed at the expense of detail & sound stage. Is anyone aware of what manufacturers are doing to these cables to add that slight reverb/holographic effect? It's almost as if there is something in the cable that is delaying part of the signal by a few milliseconds to create the effect.

On a side note, this same holographic effect exists with the Meze 99 classics with their stock cable. Just like the Ananda's, the effect goes away if you switch to any non stock cable.

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #1,443 of 4,987
Got a few different cables last week, specifically:

1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRO6COI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

2) http://www.oyaide.com/ja/brand/oyaide/earphone_headphone_cable/hpsc-35r

With #2 I'm using some monoprice RCA to 3.5mm adapters to make it compatible.

The verdict is still out on the cables. Both cables offer something different than the stock cable, but not necessarily better or worse. I'm going to keep analyzing them before posting official opinions on them. However, in my testing I noticed something interesting in that the stock cable is what is leading the Ananda's to have a slightly holographic sound to them. This holographic effect is a slight reverb on every sound that allows for the sound to be easier heard (there's more of it in the soundscape), but it also makes every tone a bit artificial since the reverb shouldn't exist. All other cables I try on those headphones completely eliminate the holographic effect, giving better tonality and speed at the expense of detail & sound stage. Is anyone aware of what manufacturers are doing to these cables to add that slight reverb/holographic effect? It's almost as if there is something in the cable that is delaying part of the signal by a few milliseconds to create the effect.

On a side note, this same holographic effect exists with the Meze 99 classics with their stock cable. Just like the Ananda's, the effect goes away if you switch to any non stock cable.
i think good cables give bigger soundstage, and this helps with imaging, separation and detail perception. tonality doesn't change, but guess due to the perceived location of instruments, the result can be perceived as brighter or darker.
i use cables 171 and 175 of my list (check my signature) with Ananda. they are mmcx/2pins terminated cables which i use with iem as well, plus short mmcx/2pins to 3.5mm adapters.
i'm not sure that reverb shouldn't exist. maybe it was capped when using worse cables?

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #1,444 of 4,987
they are mmcx/2pins terminated cables which i use with iem as well, plus short mmcx/2pins to 3.5mm adapters.
Can you supply a link for the mmcx to 3.5 adapters, as I can only find one set on amazon ? Thanks

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,446 of 4,987
So, with 11.11 round the corner and CanJam Shanghai at the same time - obviously I took the plunge and bought the Ananda. Demoed the Arya which, as suggested in here, wasn't driven well enough by my intended gear.
Ananda's delighted, as they had a year ago. Amazed at the bass quality and quantity - great punch. Soundstage is ok, to be honest, rather than holographic (though I didn't hear a difference on the under-driven Arya) - I think perhaps I am beyond the age that can enjoy this effect. But there is some depth and good width and great separation.

Running them from the Xduoo XD05 and they sound fantastic, very happy with my purchase and I suspect these are end-game open planars for me (careful wording because it leaves me open to buy closed cans and possibly open dynamics!) Seriously though, this is me good for at least a year.

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,447 of 4,987
So....Ananda out of the XD-05, very nice.
However....
I already had a balanced cable for my 400i's - didn't want to spend the money at this point getting yet another one for the Ananda, but I did pick up some 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters (I know, very dangerous, I won't use them for too long)
So was able to run the Ananda from balanced out on the Fiio M11.

Wow.

Big difference, especially in soundstage. Depth is really increased, width too though not quite as much. But this is clearly the way I need to listen to these cans, they are AMAZING.
The XD-05, despite the fact that I love it, throttles the high frequency detail from the M11. I knew this before but needed to use it to give the Ananda the power it needed. Without that bottleneck, all the micro-details flow through to the cans and the full signal is represented.
Absolutely lovely, wonderful presentation with high and low extremities represented incredibly well without being boomy or sharp.
So I'm not too old (yet) for the holographic magic and these are certainly my end-game planars.

Also, I have to say, once again very very satisfied with Fiio's player. Balanced out has more power than single ended and I'm only going up to 80 (of 120) to get loud, so still plenty of space left. And it is obviously a big part in that lovely presentation.

I'm a very happy audio geek!

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,448 of 4,987
Hi, I recently bought an Ananda, great sound. I noticed some minor details on the driver (minor elevation in certain points of the metal conductors). I searched on the internet and found other Anandas with the same detail. I was asking myself if it is a QC issue, just a fabrication detail and if it could possible degrade the headphone's response.
My driver
mine.jpg

Zoomed
mine-zoom.jpg

A more severe example that I found on youtube
youtube-pointed.jpg

Joshua Valour Ananda review
joshua.jpg

edit - The other side of the driver doesn't have this details. The metal conductors of the side that has the details are more shiny.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #1,450 of 4,987
Strange, I cannot see the magents clearly through the grill. It seems to be covered by foam cloth on my unit. Why are other units so visible?

Edited: Just realized there is a silent revision on the Ananda. The newer revision has:
1. Thicker foam over the front driver
2. The inner foam is also stuck to the driver, instead of the pads
3. Different material on the baffle surrounding the inner driver

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,451 of 4,987
Guys,

Be very careful when you remove the pads from the Ananda. The plastic mounting ring is very fragile and you can easily break it. Also, the pads are glued into the ring, so you probably are not supposed to only replace the pads. So, when the ring breaks, you probably have to replace the whole pads too. It ain't cheap!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #1,452 of 4,987
I just want to share the my sad story.. I've been eyeing Anandas for a long time and at the end was scammed hard -500€ :frowning2:
I've found a used Ananda in Germany on quoka.de site, so I messaged the seller, she offered to use the forwarding company "gvahaulage.com" and agreed.
You can imagine how it ended..
In the end its probably my fault as I should use paypal, but everything seemed ok till the end.
Well, all the money I've saved on buying used gear over the years are now gone.. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Screenshot_20191029-133520.jpg

Just sharing it here, maybe someone can find it informative. If anyone has some advice what can I do, please pm me, but I don't believe I will see my money again, judging from how carefuly prepared this whole scam was.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,455 of 4,987
Ouch, that really stinks. Sorry hearing that. While looking for the silver lining, I would say that next time maybe you can get something you want more, that's cheaper, and be even happier as there are always more fish in the ocean and prices are always coming down. Look out below for falling prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back