Hifiman Ananda
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #946 of 4,987
Wow, that's the first I ever heard anyone saying that the 2c's were bright. I found them very laid back (fatally so IMO) between 1500-3500 Hz, and again missing a ton of top end air over about 10k. If there were any issue of too much between those two dips, I didn't really notice because I was too busy noting all the missing bits.

I find the Ananda 'light' in the way the HD-600 is light, just not enough bass to hold down the fort (and I'm anything but a basshead), so you have to be ready for that. At the price of the HD-600 it's not so tough to do, at the price of the Ananda? I mean Ananda has more low bass than the 600, but the profile is similar. I found the Ananda also to be lacking in richness/harmonics. By comparison the HE-500, HE-6, HEX v2 all seem to have more body

Given what you have written I strong urge you to find a HFM HEX v2, probably the least aggressive/bright of the HFM cans. Nice - no - great bass - thunderous when needed, absent when absent, similar mids to Ananda, but a but more fleshed out. Treble flat in comparison. I've seen 3 of these under $750 in the past month used.

At a higher price the Arya is getting killer reviews. If you mail order from audio46, first time buyers get 10% off. I have no connection with them besides being impressed with the huge variety they carry and the nice discounts they offer.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'm going to look into the HEX v2 to see if it may be what I like,I just hope it doesn't have that seal like the 2c's have or else I can't get them.

Maybe it's something with my ears, cause I noticed a long time ago when car stereos where in I used to be really sensitive to treble to where it has that metallic sound. Even with IEMs like the SHure 846 and Westones I would get that as well. But with the 2c's it was an insane amount. On my Opus 1s I had to eq 1k-16k at -7db for me to even have them be listenable. I also had to do the seal break to listen to the 2c's. I just think that maybe I just wasn't running enough power(I also had the XDUOO-XD05 as the amp)? I guess it doesn't matter much now since I just got rid of them. Still a bummer though since I was hoping to just fall in love with those headphones.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #947 of 4,987
Thanks, I'm going to look into the HEX v2 to see if it may be what I like,I just hope it doesn't have that seal like the 2c's have or else I can't get them.

Maybe it's something with my ears, cause I noticed a long time ago when car stereos where in I used to be really sensitive to treble to where it has that metallic sound. Even with IEMs like the SHure 846 and Westones I would get that as well. But with the 2c's it was an insane amount. On my Opus 1s I had to eq 1k-16k at -7db for me to even have them be listenable. I also had to do the seal break to listen to the 2c's. I just think that maybe I just wasn't running enough power(I also had the XDUOO-XD05 as the amp)? I guess it doesn't matter much now since I just got rid of them. Still a bummer though since I was hoping to just fall in love with those headphones.

That’s very odd. I just bought a pair of LCD2c to compliment my Ananda’s and they have less treble than the Ananda’s. I know for sure that they have less treble than the hd800s, he-1000 v2 and focal clear. Maybe double check your gear?

I’ve heard the LCD2c sound horribly distorted with portable amps and unamped though.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #948 of 4,987
Anyone who can compare the Ananda to DT1990 or DT880?

Been on the edge to get a headphone that is open but less analytical than the Beyerdynamic DT1990.
I got the Sony Z7M2 recently, they have made me enjoy music more as it has sparkle but is less analytical than the dt1990. So a open headphone to compliment the DT1990 would have been perfect, hoped maybe the Ananda would be this.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #949 of 4,987
I just got Sundara's and I was thinking of the Anand'a as a good step up, but I am not sure they would be worth twice the price and I got my pair for cheap. My main complaint would be lack of true sub bass and I wonder if the Ananda's would give significantly more bass? How far up the Hifiman line would I have to go to to get more of a tactile feeling or would I be better off going with and Audeze, something like an LCD2c or LCD-X?

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #950 of 4,987
I just got Sundara's and I was thinking of the Anand'a as a good step up, but I am not sure they would be worth twice the price and I got my pair for cheap. My main complaint would be lack of true sub bass and I wonder if the Ananda's would give significantly more bass? How far up the Hifiman line would I have to go to to get more of a tactile feeling or would I be better off going with and Audeze, something like an LCD2c or LCD-X?

Used HEX v2's are going pretty cheap. They lap the Sundara's. I find them to have more body and be flatter to the music then the Ananda. I think the HEX v2 has the best bass I've ever heard - with the possible exception of the HE-6. Flat, well damped, lots of sub 60 Hz bass, even sub 30, but they don't womp. If you want real bass head stuff then you'd find them not to be good enough probably.

To the other poster - HEX V2 very comfortable not a crazy tight seal at all - and much lighter. Pretty long cups, I suppose some smaller head shapes might find them strange, but I have a big one that fits all of the new HFM's.

I like music to sound like music with maybe a slight bit of sweetness, hate super anal equipment which the Senn 800 belongs too. If I can't relax to very nuanced presentation of female singers, they won't last. The HEX v2 if I didn't have the HE-500, and expect to own the HE-6, Arya, or E2 by August, I'd buy as the #1 best deal for me from $500-800 range.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #951 of 4,987
Used HEX v2's are going pretty cheap. They lap the Sundara's. I find them to have more body and be flatter to the music then the Ananda. I think the HEX v2 has the best bass I've ever heard - with the possible exception of the HE-6. Flat, well damped, lots of sub 60 Hz bass, even sub 30, but they don't womp. If you want real bass head stuff then you'd find them not to be good enough probably.

To the other poster - HEX V2 very comfortable not a crazy tight seal at all - and much lighter. Pretty long cups, I suppose some smaller head shapes might find them strange, but I have a big one that fits all of the new HFM's.

I like music to sound like music with maybe a slight bit of sweetness, hate super anal equipment which the Senn 800 belongs too. If I can't relax to very nuanced presentation of female singers, they won't last. The HEX v2 if I didn't have the HE-500, and expect to own the HE-6, Arya, or E2 by August, I'd buy as the #1 best deal for me from $500-800 range.
The thing is, in the last month or so I have not seen one used HEX V2, heck even new they are scarce. I think most have already moved on to the Ananda believing it is a better HEX at a better price. I have seen used Ananda's around usually for about $800 and believe it or not they seem like a tough sell and noone is buying them. To all those who do own HEX's and think they might want to sell, i would say do it before the Massdrop $599 special comes out because they will all of a sudden be worth $400 tops unless the MD version is shown to be inferior, which I doubt would be the case.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #952 of 4,987
The thing is, in the last month or so I have not seen one used HEX V2, heck even new they are scarce. I think most have already moved on to the Ananda believing it is a better HEX at a better price. I have seen used Ananda's around usually for about $800 and believe it or not they seem like a tough sell and noone is buying them. To all those who do own HEX's and think they might want to sell, i would say do it before the Massdrop $599 special comes out because they will all of a sudden be worth $400 tops unless the MD version is shown to be inferior, which I doubt would be the case.

There arn't many new ones around, however I saw 6 of them in the last 5 weeks under $800 used on hifi shark / ebay / Amazon / Canuck Audio Mart - i only buy US or Canadian.

A pretty solid group here thinks the HEX V2 is better than than Ananda, me among them and its not very close either IMO. The Ananda is thin overall with a pretty obvious spike in the highs (tubed amp might help). The HEX V2 is much stronger from 60 Hz down to 15 Hz. Voicing and tonal balance are better. It's a hair too romantic and misses some detail in the upper mids and lower treble. The vocal depth is better on the HEX too, do in part to the slight reticence in the upper mids. The treble unlike just about all HFM cans is relatively flat.

It's very much an open question if the MD XX will be better than the HEX V2 - certainly less comfortable. Even if the MD XX is given the nod over the V2, I doubt the V2 goes to $400 overnight - in fact - 0 chance.

In that scenario, it would be a similar drop of the 560 from where its original list was to where it is now and the HEX V2 >>> 560, so I'll be happy to buy one at $400.

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #953 of 4,987
Oh that $400 would be the used price, not HIfiman's, but i would tend to think if the MD XX is successful HM would then drop the HEX from their lineup, which is already a little too crowded,

For me, perhaps the HEX would be more to my liking since an Ananda would probably be a slightly better Sundara, again at twice the price. Perhaps with the different sound, the HEX might seem like a bigger improvement?

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #954 of 4,987
There arn't many new ones around, however I saw 6 of them in the last 5 weeks under $800 used on hifi shark / ebay / Amazon / Canuck Audio Mart - i only buy US or Canadian.

A pretty solid group here thinks the HEX V2 is better than than Ananda, me among them and its not very close either IMO. The Ananda is thin overall with a pretty obvious spike in the highs (tubed amp might help). The HEX V2 is much stronger from 60 Hz down to 15 Hz. Voicing and tonal balance are better. It's a hair too romantic and misses some detail in the upper mids and lower treble. The vocal depth is better on the HEX too, do in part to the slight reticence in the upper mids. The treble unlike just about all HFM cans is relatively flat.

It's very much an open question if the MD XX will be better than the HEX V2 - certainly less comfortable. Even if the MD XX is given the nod over the V2, I doubt the V2 goes to $400 overnight - in fact - 0 chance.

In that scenario, it would be a similar drop of the 560 from where its original list was to where it is now and the HEX V2 >>> 560, so I'll be happy to buy one at $400.

How would the HEX V2 compare to the LCD2C?
I just got the LCD recently, and I own 400i's so I've been on the path of figuring what I want from Hifiman. Started contemplating Sundara and selling the 400i, to keeping the 400i and buying the Ananda. After hearing more of the Arya I've been leaning that route, but saving money with a HEX and being better overall than the Ananda is quite appealing, I just don't want it to be too similar to the LCD.

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #955 of 4,987
How would the HEX V2 compare to the LCD2C?
I just got the LCD recently, and I own 400i's so I've been on the path of figuring what I want from Hifiman. Started contemplating Sundara and selling the 400i, to keeping the 400i and buying the Ananda. After hearing more of the Arya I've been leaning that route, but saving money with a HEX and being better overall than the Ananda is quite appealing, I just don't want it to be too similar to the LCD.

The 400i is pretty cool but it's not a serious contender. The HEX v2 is a serious can, a bit on the warm/sweet side perhaps but essentially truthful. The LCD2 can be liquid and suave and has that bass, but Jeez Louise where the heck is the upper mids/lower treble and the treble over 10k?. It's got a LOT of personality, if you like it - good - I can't see anyone confusing the HFM line with the LCD.

Just take your time and make your best choice. I haven't heard the Arya yet, but I'm quite firm on the HEX V2 being better than then Ananda if neutral is the goal. Arya is getting some very positive write-ups. HEX V2 is a victim of HFM changing lines as often as underwear.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #956 of 4,987

A drop to $400 would be extreme. They are more comfortable then the MD XX that's for sure. I actually think they will end up holding firm at 650-700 for at least the first 1/2 of '19. If the MD XX turns out to be better, than it would be better IMO than the Ananda, HEX V2, Sundara, 400* - and it might savage the sales on the 1000se and Arya - not to mention slice and dice the 5se - and make the 6se new price look very steep.

It just has to be de-tuned in some way, if not get ready for SOTA cans coming from HFM in the low 1k's.

Read this whole thread. I was in early hoping for the Ananda's to be great and looking for reviews. A few good ones, and then wham - they got beat upside the head for months here. IN the interim I heard the HEX v2. Very grown up, very buttoned down, perhaps a little too much on the Clark Kent in his suit side, but very credible.

Then I heard the Ananda and was much vexed. If I had to take a brand new perfect Ananda or my modded aging HE-500's for my only can forever - no doubt it's the 500 - easily. The Ananda is like a cocktail hour mimosa. Light, frothy, but short on the body. Maybe a Class A tube triode with a very good DAC could turn them into very serious cans, but if you had that equipment, you would have better cans.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #957 of 4,987
Any thoughts on what amp/dac to pair with these? Currently using a schiit magni/modi 3 and prefer a warmer sound. Ifi dsd micro sounded too clinical to me. I’m wondering if I’d gain anything going to a thx 789. Would be great if they paired nicely with my LCD2c as well. I actually thought these sounded great with a dragonfly red as well.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #958 of 4,987
HEX v2. Very grown up, very buttoned down, perhaps a little too much on the Clark Kent in his suit side, but very credible.

laughing at this witty sketch of the HEX v2. It is moderately polite, a little warm, the opposite of edgy & sharp--but it also really brings the bass (shockingly good bass for a totally open design like this), also more resolution than I first suspected.

More than anything else, HEX v2 has a top-to-bottom coherence & "cut from the same cloth" character. When that's present, regardless of a HP's cost, I'm less inclined to nitpick, characterize lows vs mids vs treble, say "this sounds good on it, but that doesn't," etc.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #959 of 4,987
laughing at this witty sketch of the HEX v2. It is moderately polite, a little warm, the opposite of edgy & sharp--but it also really brings the bass (shockingly good bass for a totally open design like this), also more resolution than I first suspected.

More than anything else, HEX v2 has a top-to-bottom coherence & "cut from the same cloth" character. When that's present, regardless of a HP's cost, I'm less inclined to nitpick, characterize lows vs mids vs treble, say "this sounds good on it, but that doesn't," etc.

Yeah they are good. I'd say my biggest nit is the upper mids into the low treble are a few db short. So everything is nice, but there are times a more aggressive posture is required. I'd say up 1.5 - 2 db from 1500- ~3700 Hz, and maybe a slight down -2 db notch wherever the treble spike is, and seriously it's great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back