Hifiman Ananda
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #931 of 4,987
They’re not exactly the same but they’re close. Their tuning is a little different. These have tighter bass and more present upper mids, and slightly less treble than the HEK V2. Allegedly, they have a different magnet structure as well. Their finish and build quality is definitely not as high quality as the HEK V2, but let’s be honest here, we’re talking about Hifiman...

I honesty don’t know why Fang even made these. Because audio-wise, they make the HEK V2 and Ananda irrelevant. These sound so good. After hearing these, you’d have to be out of your flipping mind to pay an extra $1400 for the HEK V2. And honestly, I doubt the HEKse is much better than the V2.

You want the Hifiman sweet spot? Buy these and ignore the rest. Unless you prefer a more fun tuning with extra bass and the least amount of treble of all the Hifiman offerings, then stick with the HEX V2, because those are awesome too.

This post makes me covet my HEX V2 more. Seems a proper AB is definitely necessary to come to a decision, especially since the HEX V2 is becoming more and more rare.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #932 of 4,987
They’re not exactly the same but they’re close. Their tuning is a little different. These have tighter bass and more present upper mids, and slightly less treble than the HEK V2. Allegedly, they have a different magnet structure as well. Their finish and build quality is definitely not as high quality as the HEK V2, but let’s be honest here, we’re talking about Hifiman...

I honesty don’t know why Fang even made these. Because audio-wise, they make the HEK V2 and Ananda irrelevant. These sound so good. After hearing these, you’d have to be out of your flipping mind to pay an extra $1400 for the HEK V2. And honestly, I doubt the HEKse is much better than the V2.

You want the Hifiman sweet spot? Buy these and ignore the rest. Unless you prefer a more fun tuning with extra bass and the least amount of treble of all the Hifiman offerings, then stick with the HEX V2, because those are awesome too.

Why did Fang sign up for the MD XX? It's hurt sales of the HEX v2 (used), might hurt the 400* sales and for sure the Sundara. Why did he re-release the HE-6, HE-5, and Ananda? Perhaps he wants HFM to be all things to all people?

Now the HEKse and Arya may reign for a year to be discounted and super ceded by v2's, and new models. When will Fang re-release the HE-500? Has to be lower than the MD XX's

It's like HP printers and Dell desktops, sell more models than they need to, but they sure do cover lots of ground....

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #933 of 4,987
Why did Fang sign up for the MD XX? It's hurt sales of the HEX v2 (used), might hurt the 400* sales and for sure the Sundara. Why did he re-release the HE-6, HE-5, and Ananda? Perhaps he wants HFM to be all things to all people?

Now the HEKse and Arya may reign for a year to be discounted and super ceded by v2's, and new models. When will Fang re-release the HE-500? Has to be lower than the MD XX's

It's like HP printers and Dell desktops, sell more models than they need to, but they sure do cover lots of ground....

Personally, I think Fang is bat crap crazy. But his headphones sound good so...whatever.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #934 of 4,987
I am really glad of his collaboration with MD specifically the Edition XX, this headphones are a big punch to all high end headphones above $1000

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #935 of 4,987
They have way too much treble for my preferences and they sound a little thin and tinny. Everything just sounded too metallic and grainy.
I do not find the HE560s too bright, I find them a bit shouty in the upper midrange (4 kHz peak?) and the treble is sometimes a bit rough and grainy. If Ananda is a step forward, it is already a result.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #937 of 4,987
Do the Ananda’s have an airtight seal like the Audeze headphones? I just got rid of my Audeze LCD2c’s cause I didn’t like the treble at all and the sealing hurt my ear canals so much.

No. The HEX, HEK, Ananda, and Arya are some of the most open headphones on the planet. And the earpads are microfiber, not leather or pleather, so they don’t seal airtight.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #938 of 4,987
This post makes me covet my HEX V2 more. Seems a proper AB is definitely necessary to come to a decision, especially since the HEX V2 is becoming more and more rare.

I have a HEX v2 (purchased it from @Hifiearspeakers, a very good experience)--and I love this headphone. As soon as I put it on, I lost all interest in other HFM designs. Those immense earcups; completely open sound; truly excellent bass, surprising for such an open design; spacious soundstaging; above average resolution; and humane, musical upper midrange & treble. It's a winner & was my "pleasant surprise" in headphone audio for 2018.

We all hear things differently and have different sonic preferences. Me, I never chase resolution at the possible expense of brightness & overall listenability. The HEX v2 is my Hifiman fix.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #939 of 4,987
I have a HEX v2 (purchased it from @Hifiearspeakers, a very good experience)--and I love this headphone. As soon as I put it on, I lost all interest in other HFM designs. Those immense earcups; completely open sound; truly excellent bass, surprising for such an open design; spacious soundstaging; above average resolution; and humane, musical upper midrange & treble. It's a winner & was my "pleasant surprise" in headphone audio for 2018.

We all hear things differently and have different sonic preferences. Me, I never chase resolution at the possible expense of brightness & overall listenability. The HEX v2 is my Hifiman fix.

I’m glad you are enjoying them! They’re fantastic headphones; just super smooth, punchy, and musical.

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #940 of 4,987
Do the Ananda’s have an airtight seal like the Audeze headphones? I just got rid of my Audeze LCD2c’s cause I didn’t like the treble at all and the sealing hurt my ear canals so much.

To go with the other answer on pad sealing. All the HFM cans from the HE6se, retired HE-500, HEX v2, and Ananda all have better treble then the 2C. In some cases they can be bright (not Beyer bright), but they all voice in a way that seems musically correct - or close to it. When I got my used 2C I thought it was broke until I located another pair, and nope, that's the way they sound. The LCD3 however is pretty good.

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #941 of 4,987
I’m glad you are enjoying them! They’re fantastic headphones; just super smooth, punchy, and musical.

yes, and the price they can be had for used makes them slam dunk material.

I tried to talk someone into these and out of a new Sundara for one of these used in the $725 range. Too bad...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #942 of 4,987

The Ananda treble is what i call the perfect amount, and no they do not seal that tightly they don't depend on the seal.

They punch like a girl tbh :D
for me they are so smooth sounding, I wouldn't call them punchy at all.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #943 of 4,987
The Ananda treble is what i call the perfect amount, and no they do not seal that tightlytightly they don't depend on the seal.

I agree. I actually think the he-1000 v2 has too much treble. With a very detailed dac/amp like rme-adi2 it was overwhelming and fatiguing. The Ananda has just the right amount, but does lose out in detail.

Otherwise they’re very similar sounding headphones. I honestly don’t think one is necessarily better than the other. It comes down to preference.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #944 of 4,987
To go with the other answer on pad sealing. All the HFM cans from the HE6se, retired HE-500, HEX v2, and Ananda all have better treble then the 2C. In some cases they can be bright (not Beyer bright), but they all voice in a way that seems musically correct - or close to it. When I got my used 2C I thought it was broke until I located another pair, and nope, that's the way they sound. The LCD3 however is pretty good.

I was really surprised by how bright the treble was in the 2c's.. I still can't get over the feeling that it had to be my setup that had to contribute to it? Either way I guess it doesn't matter since the sealing alone made me unable to listen to the headphones.

I'm still torn between the Ananda and Focal Elex's. They both seem to have their plus/positives, but the big thing I'm worried about with the Ananda is that it seems to lack bass.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #945 of 4,987
I was really surprised by how bright the treble was in the 2c's.. I still can't get over the feeling that it had to be my setup that had to contribute to it? Either way I guess it doesn't matter since the sealing alone made me unable to listen to the headphones.

I'm still torn between the Ananda and Focal Elex's. They both seem to have their plus/positives, but the big thing I'm worried about with the Ananda is that it seems to lack bass.

Wow, that's the first I ever heard anyone saying that the 2c's were bright. I found them very laid back (fatally so IMO) between 1500-3500 Hz, and again missing a ton of top end air over about 10k. If there were any issue of too much between those two dips, I didn't really notice because I was too busy noting all the missing bits.

I find the Ananda 'light' in the way the HD-600 is light, just not enough bass to hold down the fort (and I'm anything but a basshead), so you have to be ready for that. At the price of the HD-600 it's not so tough to do, at the price of the Ananda? I mean Ananda has more low bass than the 600, but the profile is similar. I found the Ananda also to be lacking in richness/harmonics. By comparison the HE-500, HE-6, HEX v2 all seem to have more body

Given what you have written I strong urge you to find a HFM HEX v2, probably the least aggressive/bright of the HFM cans. Nice - no - great bass - thunderous when needed, absent when absent, similar mids to Ananda, but a but more fleshed out. Treble flat in comparison. I've seen 3 of these under $750 in the past month used.

At a higher price the Arya is getting killer reviews. If you mail order from audio46, first time buyers get 10% off. I have no connection with them besides being impressed with the huge variety they carry and the nice discounts they offer.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back