Hifiman Ananda
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #901 of 4,987
Well, my right driver died on me. Sad day... I am going to return mine as it's still within the return window. Not entirely sure if I should still get a pair as a replacement though.

that sucks...how long did you have it for?
you'd think the infamous QC issues of hfm would be resolved given their reputation in this area.

my bud had same issue with his 1000xv2....got a replacement...but one of the cups
on replacement didn't sit well after a bit...he gave up and moved to the focal utopias.
loves the hfm sound but disses their qc.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #902 of 4,987
Just about a month lol. The sound was great and the fact that they are easy to drive made me not worry too much about the amp.
It's really frustrating, but hey, I'm getting my money back.
Now, I just have to look for a pair of headphones that have better build quality and as close sounding to the Anandas.

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #903 of 4,987
Well, my right driver died on me. Sad day... I am going to return mine as it's still within the return window. Not entirely sure if I should still get a pair as a replacement though.

That's concerning................................

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #904 of 4,987
Just about a month lol. The sound was great and the fact that they are easy to drive made me not worry too much about the amp.
It's really frustrating, but hey, I'm getting my money back.
Now, I just have to look for a pair of headphones that have better build quality and as close sounding to the Anandas.

: and with your return: i wonder if hifiman will just ''repair'' them, repackage them
and then reship them off as new to some other person.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #905 of 4,987
: and with your return: i wonder if hifiman will just ''repair'' them, repackage them
and then reship them off as new to some other person.

This would bother me to no end. I recently got in contact with HiFiMAN about exchanging my HE-1000 V2 for the SE.. and I couldn't help but wonder the same thing.

What frustrates me even more is that I have yet to find a sound signature that gives me as much enjoyment as that of the HE-1000 V2, so I feel like I'm a bit trapped and have lowered my expectations in order to warrant keeping a pair of $3,000 headphones that aren't in tip-top shape.. although I did buy mine for $1,700.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #906 of 4,987
This would bother me to no end. I recently got in contact with HiFiMAN about exchanging my HE-1000 V2 for the SE.. and I couldn't help but wonder the same thing.

What frustrates me even more is that I have yet to find a sound signature that gives me as much enjoyment as that of the HE-1000 V2, so I feel like I'm a bit trapped and have lowered my expectations in order to warrant keeping a pair of $3,000 headphones that aren't in tip-top shape.. although I did buy mine for $1,700.
If it bothers you that much then don’t upgrade them

And don’t buy from a company that gives you a 30 day return policy.

You’ll feel so much happier that way. I’m sure of it

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #907 of 4,987
Has anyone bought insurance with the headphones like the insurance offered on Amazon for $40 with a 4 year "coverage".

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #908 of 4,987
guys so that is it? a mere 30 days to return them...esp with their reputation?
can you buy extended warranties from hfm?

my bud (who has utopias after moving on from hfm as above) suggested the grado gs1000e series as a good change up from my hd6xx....
i just got in the audeze lcd2c and i'm disappointed in them: to me they're not the major change / step up thati was hoping for from the hd6xx..and to boot, they're also too big and heavy.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #909 of 4,987
The later HFM HEX V2 seem well designed/built - can find them in the lower $700's used. MrSpeakers Ether C's used? Not crazy about the Senn 800S's but a good supply used... Good luck.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #910 of 4,987
How do the Anandas compare to the T1.2? I've had DT880/600 ohm version but all I remember is that I liked the sound from those headphones. It's been over 4 years since I head the DT880.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #911 of 4,987
Thanks. I have not heard the Massdrop offering or the HEX v2, so I'm not in a position to compare. Just stating for the benefit of the poster that it is not a re-badged Ananda and does not contain Hifiman's newer technology. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I can't really say.
The Massdrop Edition XX may not have the newer magnet technology but it DOES have the new thinner diaphragm that is between 1 and 2 microns thick. So...........where this lands the sound relative to the HEX v2 is anyone's guess. I believe the MD XX is supposed to follow the HEX v2 closer than the v1. It's even possible that people will like the MD XX best of all?????

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #912 of 4,987
Yes, they do seem to be using the same NEO thin mylar technology as Ananda, but Hifiman has stated that HE XX does not use all of the newer technology of the Anandas -- specifically magnet structure. They submitted a clarifying statement to essentially reduce the backlash they were receiving from folks that bought Anandas and thought thought Hifiman had sucker-punched them by rolling out a rebadged Ananda via Massdrop for much less $$$. I just wanted to communicate that according to Hifiman: 1) HE XX does not use all of the newest technology, and 2) It is not a rebadged Ananda. Not saying the HE XX is better or worse than Ananda -- just not the same. Based on MD/Hifiman's previous collaboration efforts and the posted response curve shown, it seems HE XX will be a VERY NICE HP at almost 1/2 of Anandas going price.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #913 of 4,987
Sure, this is all subjective. I'd take the HD650 over the HD800 as well.

Subjective is the word, and I'd take the HD600 over the 650 every time.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #914 of 4,987
Yes, they do seem to be using the same NEO thin mylar technology as Ananda, but Hifiman has stated that HE XX does not use all of the newer technology of the Anandas -- specifically magnet structure. They submitted a clarifying statement to essentially reduce the backlash they were receiving from folks that bought Anandas and thought thought Hifiman had sucker-punched them by rolling out a rebadged Ananda via Massdrop for much less $$$. I just wanted to communicate that according to Hifiman: 1) HE XX does not use all of the newest technology, and 2) It is not a rebadged Ananda. Not saying the HE XX is better or worse than Ananda -- just not the same. Based on MD/Hifiman's previous collaboration efforts and the posted response curve shown, it seems HE XX will be a VERY NICE HP at almost 1/2 of Anandas going price.

I hope the XX is fabulous. It will undercut the used prices of the Ananda, HEX, HE-500, HE5se, HE6se, Sundara, and perhaps even the Arya and 1000 v1 & v2. Being an addict of the HFM sound it's good for me. Once it gets re-released by MD again, can snag one of those on the cheap too like the 4xx is now.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #915 of 4,987
I’m still waiting for the first review of XX. I don’t care whether it’s the ultra thin diaphragm but if it sounds anything like EDX v2 then it’s a blind buy for me; but if it sounds more like Ananda then I’ll just buy the Ananda, just for the better headband..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back