Hifiman Ananda
Dec 25, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #871 of 4,980
Reading as much as I can here, but what is the general consensus of Ananda vs Sundara?
Love my HE400i, but wanting to get into some high-end Hifiman territory.

I think the ananda have bigger sound and fuller bass.
There was a sound demo on previous pages between the two on Sammaa YT channel.

As some wise audiophile once said, if you want to upgrade jump two tiers to really appreciate the difference, especially if they have the same house sound.

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #872 of 4,980
Reading as much as I can here, but what is the general consensus of Ananda vs Sundara?

Clarity is on a whole other level, bass is much cleaner. The ease to drive the Ananda's in comparison to the Sundara means more time listening to them, even if it's in bed straight out of an iPad.

I had a few hours yesterday with the wife at the local shop to compare the Ananda's to the LCD2C's, He-1000, HD800S, Elear and Clears. My wife who isn't really in to audio thought the Ananda's where the best combination of all the headphones as well. The HE-1000's definitely have better highs, but I feel it distracts from the vocals of most songs. I think the He1000's would kill the ananda's on acoustic music though, but that isn't what I listen to. They really are a bargain for their sound and versatility. Skip the Sundara's, there's nothing really special about them.

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #873 of 4,980
Thanks for the info guys!
With the LCD2c on the way I didn't want to go too warm opposed to the 400i's "brighter" character as the LCD is going to be my dark can.
I'm the type of person that would rather wait a little longer and pay more to not have a case of "shoulda couldas".

Cheers and merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #874 of 4,980

Ananda and Sundara in different Leagues, the Sundara replace the 400i's while the Ananda replace the Hifiman Edition X v2.

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #875 of 4,980
Thanks for the info guys!
With the LCD2c on the way I didn't want to go too warm opposed to the 400i's "brighter" character as the LCD is going to be my dark can.
I'm the type of person that would rather wait a little longer and pay more to not have a case of "shoulda couldas".

Cheers and merry Christmas!

I really loved the LCD2 classics the second time I heard them, however after spending 2 weeks with Ananda’s and auditioning them again they honestly sounded low-fi with muddy bass. I thought there was something wrong with my amp/dac!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy them, but IMO they don’t belong in the same category as the other totl headphones.

Dec 26, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #876 of 4,980
I really loved the LCD2 classics the second time I heard them, however after spending 2 weeks with Ananda’s and auditioning them again they honestly sounded low-fi with muddy bass. I thought there was something wrong with my amp/dac!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy them, but IMO they don’t belong in the same category as the other totl headphones.

Fair! Haven't heard the 2c either yet, but that makes me feel even better about picking up the Ananda. The 2c seemed to be a top recommended fit for primarily my metal music, so as long as that is a good match I will be happy with them! This also tells me that the Ananda are surely different enough to warrant another 1k purchase :wink:

Just out of curiosity, what is the amp/dac you had them paired with?
My biggest issue is deciding what ss amp, tube amp and dac I want to get next. Vicious cycles.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #877 of 4,980
Good news is the Ananda beats up on 4**, Sundara, MrSpeakers Aeon (either one), and more

OTOH it was no match for the Voce (d'oh), HE-6, MrSpeakers Ether C, Senn 800S, LCD3 - which to be fair all cost more or a lot more; the Ananda was thin and not fleshed out compared to those.

I also like the HEX V2 more, and you can pick those up used under $700 now. It's more relaxing, warmer, easier to live with, better low bass. Or transistor/digital vs hybrid tubes - if you will.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #878 of 4,980
Ananda and Sundara in different Leagues, the Sundara replace the 400i's while the Ananda replace the Hifiman Edition X v2.

I can't agree. The HEX V2 has better low bass, and a less peaky warmer treble. They are not totally different, but, are not twins either. The forthcoming MD XX appears to be a closer fit to to the Hex v2.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #879 of 4,980
Clarity is on a whole other level, bass is much cleaner. The ease to drive the Ananda's in comparison to the Sundara means more time listening to them, even if it's in bed straight out of an iPad.

I had a few hours yesterday with the wife at the local shop to compare the Ananda's to the LCD2C's, He-1000, HD800S, Elear and Clears. My wife who isn't really in to audio thought the Ananda's where the best combination of all the headphones as well. The HE-1000's definitely have better highs, but I feel it distracts from the vocals of most songs. I think the He1000's would kill the ananda's on acoustic music though, but that isn't what I listen to. They really are a bargain for their sound and versatility. Skip the Sundara's, there's nothing really special about them.

question? HE-1000 v1 or v2?

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #880 of 4,980
I can't agree. The HEX V2 has better low bass, and a less peaky warmer treble. They are not totally different, but, are not twins either. The forthcoming MD XX appears to be a closer fit to to the Hex v2.

That's what Customer Service told me. The Ananda replaced the Edition x v2. They said the Ananda has a more advance driver and it's more detailed.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #882 of 4,980
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #883 of 4,980
Sure, this is all subjective. I'd take the HD650 over the HD800 as well.

Well as an owner of both, I can definitely tell you the Ananda is not more detailed. It is at best, just slightly different. It has a treble resonance peak that is annoying and not present on the HEX V2.

I would also take the 650 over the 800. But I’d take the 800S over both.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #885 of 4,980
That's what Customer Service told me. The Ananda replaced the Edition x v2. They said the Ananda has a more advance driver and it's more detailed.

So if that is correct the lineage is: HEX V2 -> Ananda; then my guess is the MD XX is going to be more like the HEX V2 and not as good as the Ananda.

The first time I heard the Ananda I didn't have anything to hear it against, the second time lots of cans but only 1 HFM - the HE6 which was easily better. I heard the HEX V2 and from memory prefer it to the Ananda. I'm going to try and get he HEX V2 and Ananda home to my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back