Hifiman Ananda
Sep 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #601 of 4,987
Sounds like for bass. Stick with the hex2. Is it still available for purchase

You might be able to find one if you look around a bit. But it does seem like the Ananda is replacing it, which is a travesty in my opinion.

I just don’t know why they didn’t tweak it more during beta testing. If they fixed the 8K peak/ringing, then the Ananda would be an absolute steal at its price point. That ringing is its only real flaw.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #602 of 4,987
Strange, I read this whole thread. Excitement. Then several folks said it was really great, and then later a few said it wasn't. It seems like its some orphan like the 560 - at least here.

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #603 of 4,987
Strange, I read this whole thread. Excitement. Then several folks said it was really great, and then later a few said it wasn't. It seems like its some orphan like the 560 - at least here.

Every headphone has its haters: HD800, HD650, HE-6, HEK, Stax 009, Stax 007, I've even seen people diss the MDR-R10 and Orpheus. If your looking for a unified no caveats opinion then head-fi is not your place

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #604 of 4,987
I had the Hex v2 and now own the Ananda... I prefer the Ananda. It sounds more neutral to me without losing the bass. I think it depends on your setup. The hex v2 if i remember correctly, sounded great out of almost every amp. The Ananda is picky but likes tubes and high powered amps. As for the person that asked if it was bright like the 560, heck no! That's an ear burner.

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #605 of 4,987
I had the Hex v2 and now own the Ananda... I prefer the Ananda. It sounds more neutral to me without losing the bass. I think it depends on your setup. The hex v2 if i remember correctly, sounded great out of almost every amp. The Ananda is picky but likes tubes and high powered amps. As for the person that asked if it was bright like the 560, heck no! That's an ear burner.
Some claim the hex has more bass. Ananda more clarity

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #606 of 4,987

Oh I get that, I'm trying to provoke more opinions to break the "tie", but at this point I've heard enough good to audition them.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #608 of 4,987
Well, bad news and good news for me ...

Bad News: After 90 days, my Sundara right channel developed an intermittent problem with cutting in and out. Had to RMA back to Hifiman.

Good News: Hifiman is allowing $400 on my Sundara towards a new Ananda. Pulled the trigger and it should be arriving next week!!

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #610 of 4,987
They're almost about the same. I think the ananda sounds (clarity) better but it depends on your gear. If you're running them with a schiit stack they would probably sound the same.
Would luv to demo. Every single review gave the ed x v2 a great review. With some professionals saying. “ best I’ve ever heard”
The Ananda’s must be the best of the best.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #612 of 4,987
I've gone back and forth between those 2, and - to my ears - their different natures is obvious. Presentation of the stage, and the difference in dynamics are quite clear and easily noticeable.
Edition X is a relaxed, pushed back stage.. while Ananda is an agile, energetic, with vocals sounding intimate contrasting other elements at the background of the stage. Both do not give an overly-wide soundstage (like that of Sennheiser HD800), but with more air than actual width.

I liked both, but with the Ananda, I began to notice a persistent harshness - or roughness - whenever there's an extended vocal delivery.. when a singer or an instrument gives a prolonged tone. After I noticed it once I could not unhear it. Is that what they refer to as 8K peak?

I thought it might be because Ananda was given to me brand new, fresh out of its box in the store I went to. I played it through the WA7 Fireflies.

Attachments

• 20180802_173521.jpg
    20180802_173521.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180802_173550.jpg
    20180802_173550.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #613 of 4,987
I've gone back and forth between those 2, and - to my ears - their different natures is obvious. Presentation of the stage, and the difference in dynamics are quite clear and easily noticeable.
Edition X is a relaxed, pushed back stage.. while Ananda is an agile, energetic, with vocals sounding intimate contrasting other elements at the background of the stage. Both do not give an overly-wide soundstage (like that of Sennheiser HD800), but with more air than actual width.

I liked both, but with the Ananda, I began to notice a persistent harshness - or roughness - whenever there's an extended vocal delivery.. when a singer or an instrument gives a prolonged tone. After I noticed it once I could not unhear it. Is that what they refer to as 8K peak?

I thought it might be because Ananda was given to me brand new, fresh out of its box in the store I went to. I played it through the WA7 Fireflies.
In my experience the HiFiMAN cable needs some burn in. What is your source?

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #615 of 4,987
Surface P

I just hooked my Surface Pro via USB to WA7 Fireflies, which I ran both headphones off at the audio store. Stock HiFiMan cables.
I just used whatever music player software that I had at the time on Windows 10: Groove music.
First of all everyone has a different hearing and a different taste. In my setup the Ananda plays really great on a Audio-GD DAC/amp.

If you like the sound of the Ananda, my advice is to first watch your USB cable. I do not know which brand you use, but there are several good brands with a different timbre. AudioQuest, WireWorld, MIT, etc.

In addition, there are still some possibilities to get a cleaner signal from your Surface. You could test the free version of Fidelizer, in my case it gives an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back