Hifiman Ananda
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #631 of 4,987
This is actually interesting.
When the reviewer is talking about the Ananda, there is so much enthusiasm and Bliss, on the other hand, when the same reviewer is reviewing the new HE1000se you can clearly see a difference in body language and a lack of the enthusiasm, kind of looking for good things to say.

I’m sure the HE1000se is a great CAN, but just and observation that was interesting to me since it is the same reviewer for both.

Ananda Review

HE1000se Review

Cost might have something to do with it.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #632 of 4,987
When the reviewer is talking about the Ananda, there is so much enthusiasm and Bliss, on the other hand, when the same reviewer is reviewing the new HE1000se you can clearly see a difference in body language and a lack of the enthusiasm, kind of looking for good things to say.

I’m sure the HE1000se is a great CAN, but just and observation that was interesting to me since it is the same reviewer for both.

Ananda Review

HE1000se Review

It's normal to get less excited as you review more headphones, and i am sure the 1000se is not even 30% better than the ananda so the jump between the two is not that big and "wow".
And he clearly don't like the recessed upper mids so yeah.
Upper mids to me is the most important area as it's the area that plays and tickles my brain :D

Sep 22, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #633 of 4,987

Ananda Review

HE1000se Review

Cost might have something to do with it.

It's normal to get less excited as you review more headphones, and i am sure the 1000se is not even 30% better than the ananda so the jump between the two is not that big and "wow".
And he clearly don't like the recessed upper mids so yeah.
Upper mids to me is the most important area as it's the area that plays and tickles my brain :D

I've got the HE1000se in for review at the moment. For the most part they've got a similar tuning, but we see the biggest difference in the sub-bass region and some elevated upper mids, and then some more presence from the Ananda in the much higher treble region. Ananda is blue, HE1000se is red

hifiman graphs.png

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #634 of 4,987
What about the treble of ananda vs. HD6x0 in terms of airiness and detail? Does the 8 khz spike mean that it has an inferior treble response?

I haven't heard the Ananda yet, but have heard the closely related HEX V2, and I have the well respected older HE-500's. The HEX V2's treble is easily better for detail (overtones, low level details) and air then the HD-600/650. Those HD's seem grainy by comparison. The HE-500's pretty much do the same thing, but are not as neutral as the HEX V2's, so if you like that Senn signature you'd like the HEX V2 more (albeit at a lot more cost) then HE-500. I like the HEX V2 over the HD-800 too, but that's another topic.

The Ananda has a rise at 8.9k that's said to be a problem. The HE-500 has one up around 11k of less intensity and it doesn't bother me. Have to hear the Ananda to see if that's the case - for both of us.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #635 of 4,987
I haven't heard the Ananda yet, but have heard the closely related HEX V2, and I have the well respected older HE-500's. The HEX V2's treble is easily better for detail (overtones, low level details) and air then the HD-600/650. Those HD's seem grainy by comparison. The HE-500's pretty much do the same thing, but are not as neutral as the HEX V2's, so if you like that Senn signature you'd like the HEX V2 more (albeit at a lot more cost) then HE-500. I like the HEX V2 over the HD-800 too, but that's another topic.

The Ananda has a rise at 8.9k that's said to be a problem. The HE-500 has one up around 11k of less intensity and it doesn't bother me. Have to hear the Ananda to see if that's the case - for both of us.
I think this bump/issue/touch of graininess/or whatever of this 10k or so peak is being a little exaggerated on this thread. It’s not an issue like the hd800.

But i appreciate that some people don’t like it.

It’s seriously not that bad and won’t be an issue for most people.

That’s my 2c having lived witb the ananda for 3 1/2 weeks. I did find it a tad grainy or artificial if i was listening in a critical manner. No headphone will he perfect

Other than that the top end is quite smooth

Ymmv

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #636 of 4,987
I've got the HE1000se in for review at the moment. For the most part they've got a similar tuning, but we see the biggest difference in the sub-bass region and some elevated upper mids, and then some more presence from the Ananda in the much higher treble region. Ananda is blue, HE1000se is red

That he1000se treble response looks scary. I already find the Ananda a touch bright. The SE looks like it has 5 or more decibels more treble at 8K and a few more higher peaks after that. It looks like Fang’s planar version of the Senn 800...

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #637 of 4,987

Thanks for the info. I ordered the HEX V2.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #638 of 4,987
I'm an HD650 fan, eagerly waiting for my J-Mod (heavily modded HD650 w/latest updates). Wrote a review of the J-Mod/HD650 2-3 months ago.

Anyway, I never saw this quote before (it's profound):

No headphone is good enough to solve your personal problems.

but it's untrue in one particular circumstance: when your personal problems spring from the unfulfilled need for that particular headphone.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #639 of 4,987
Sep 22, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #640 of 4,987
Gulp... I hope you like it!

Heh... don't worry, I had already ordered it when I saw this. Also, it's for my brother who is a non-audiophile (so far) so it doesn't have to be perfect anyway. I wanted something that would be neutral but bassy and also wow him right off the bat. I feel good about the decision so far.

PSA for people who are saying the X v2 is hard to find: it's currently on amazon. I saw a used amazon warehouse one go for $810 the other day.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #641 of 4,987
I'm an HD650 fan, eagerly waiting for my J-Mod (heavily modded HD650 w/latest updates). Wrote a review of the J-Mod/HD650 2-3 months ago.

Anyway, I never saw this quote before (it's profound):

but it's untrue in one particular circumstance: when your personal problems spring from the unfulfilled need for that particular headphone.

True - I only hope that someday my personal problems consist only of a lack of a certain headphone.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #642 of 4,987
Heh... don't worry, I had already ordered it when I saw this. Also, it's for my brother who is a non-audiophile (so far) so it doesn't have to be perfect anyway. I wanted something that would be neutral but bassy and also wow him right off the bat. I feel good about the decision so far.

PSA for people who are saying the X v2 is hard to find: it's currently on amazon. I saw a used amazon warehouse one go for $810 the other day.

I was tempted on that $810 one but wasn't sure how bad the cosmetic issues were, also I expect the last few new ones at the end to go for under a K, and I still need to hear a few more cans.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #643 of 4,987
I think this bump/issue/touch of graininess/or whatever of this 10k or so peak is being a little exaggerated on this thread. It’s not an issue like the hd800.

But i appreciate that some people don’t like it.

It’s seriously not that bad and won’t be an issue for most people.

That’s my 2c having lived witb the ananda for 3 1/2 weeks. I did find it a tad grainy or artificial if i was listening in a critical manner. No headphone will he perfect

Other than that the top end is quite smooth

Ymmv

Can you please give a comparison between the ananda and the 2C ? specifically the bass, mids and SS

I wanted something that would be neutral but bassy

LCD-X and Focal clear maybe ?

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #645 of 4,987

LCD-X is just too polarizing. Also too heavy. As for the Clear, I want something he can power with his portable devices. Also it's a bit cumbersome for someone who is used to bose in-ears. Not that the HEX isn't, just the Clear is even heavier and less comfortable, though smaller.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back