Hifiman Ananda
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,142 of 4,987
So, I decided to get something else (Meze Empyrean) to compliment my Ananda's.
I have enjoyed the Ananda a lot, they have been great so far, I wanted to get something else that is TOTL.
I have not listened yet as they have been burning in for about 30 hours while I await my balanced cables, there have been some great things said about these.

Did you try the HEXv2 on your way to the Ananda?

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #1,144 of 4,987
I’ve been thinking about the Ananda as a treble Yin to my ZMF Yang.

Plus it’s dead sexy.

It’s a good planar. Definitely presents music in a very enjoyable and pleasant way. May not have the heft of a ZMF but sometimes you want a lighter, more laid back sound.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #1,146 of 4,987
The Ananda is superb for fast music with a lot happening, like metal. I guess it can be perceived as "laid back" with some material but really, feed it some proper filthy metal and crank up the volume - sublime! The slightly forward treble gives it a nice edge without being harsh. It's a spacious sound, yet the drums have a satisfying weight to them, the "planar bass" if you will, giving the overall sound the "punch" metal needs in my opinion.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,147 of 4,987
Exactly.

So which of your rather impressive collection of amps pairs best with the Ananda?

The Ananda has really great synergy with the Liquid Platinum. Really gives it the warmth it needs without sounding sterile and adds a slight bump in the mids. The MCTH adds too much sparkle at the top end for my tastes.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,148 of 4,987
FB, could you compare those 2 cans (HEXv2, Ananda)? Probably the two higher-end HF cans I can justifiably afford that have my attention.

Mostly interested in resolution, Bass, and sibilance.

Thx for asking.

Immediately you would notice, if comparing, that the Xv2 has a more natural tonality.
The Ananda is an interestingly tuned headphone that presents its very nice sound with a tone that is somewhat like the tone of the Oppo PM2.
Both have similar treble tone, but the Ananda has a much more "in your face" type of treble response.
The Oppo2 Is not as frequency etched on ether end, as compared to the Ananda.

I'd say the impact of the Ananda's bass response, is more forward, as compared to the XV2, and both have a nice low end.
The XV2s Low End, is more lifelike, but, that does not mean its better.
Also, the Ananda's Treble response is , as compared to the XV2, much more pronounced, glassy, and bright.
No sibilance with the Xv2., and for some the Ananda's treble is 8kHz annoying.

Overall the Ananda has a more energetic signature sound, then the XV2.
Resolution is similar, but because the Ananda is producing more overall energy, it is perceived to show you more musical detail.
The Ananda sort of jumps on you, and the X2 Hugs you and keeps you warm.
The Ananda fatigues me very quickly, and the X2 does not.

I can't say that the Ananda is the XV2 with more treble, as the sound of the Ananda is very tuned and shaped in a way that the Xv2 is not at all.
Perhaps its like this........Its as if Hifiman made the Ananda and Audeze made the Xv2, for Hifiman.
Also, if i play the Ananda and then play the LCD-X, i hear a lot of difference, but if i play the XV2, and then the LCD-X i dont hear such obvious difference regarding each
sound.
So, if the Ananda's treble seems great to you, then you will be happier there, as the XV2, has a more refined, sweeter treble, that is very good, but, much different.
Soundstage is again, unique with the Ananda, not exactly truthful, but, wonderful, nevertheless.
The XV2's soundstage is generous, but, again, they tuned this gear so that its trying to be very transparent, truthful, and with more warmth dialed in, as compared to the Ananda.
Ive noticed that more reviewers vote "YES" regarding the XV2, and if reviewers dont like the Ananda, its because of the timber and tone of the treble.
Both of these gears are really really good, and the XV2 has a more refined frame and strap.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,149 of 4,987
The fact that the Ananda cannot swivel and fold like the Arya is a little gripe I can't overlook. Arya just feels much nicer physically but when I heard the two I wasn't too concentrated on the differences. Both sounded great. Weird but I didn't focus on the sonic differences, more just the music. For other headphones, usually you hear the signature imposing itself on the music.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,150 of 4,987
Ananda has emphasizes on midlow but isn’t dark on high, anyway I think isn’t neautral like someone wrote.
Maybe Arya is more neutral... I will listen Aya...I hope, HEK V1 isn’t my meal.
If I won’t like Arya I will go with Focal Clear

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #1,151 of 4,987
Did you try the HEXv2 on your way to the Ananda?

No, I didn't get an opportunity to try the HEXv2, when I had decided on it, it was already discontinued and I couldn't find it new, so I purchased it used from a dealer and when I received it the left side was not functioning at all, so I could only hear the music in the right ear. I contacted them and they immediately refunded my money and I sent them back. I then contacted HiFiman directly and was told that the Ananda was the replacement for the HEXv2, so I purchased the Ananda new from HeadAmp. I really like the Ananda, but like someone else stated in the thread, I don't buy this stuff to critique the equipment, I actually just really enjoy music and as long as the quality is really good, I can pretty much forget all of the technical details and just get lost in the music.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,152 of 4,987
No, I didn't get an opportunity to try the HEXv2, when I had decided on it, it was already discontinued and I couldn't find it new, so I purchased it used from a dealer and when I received it the left side was not functioning at all, so I could only hear the music in the right ear. I contacted them and they immediately refunded my money and I sent them back. I then contacted HiFiman directly and was told that the Ananda was the replacement for the HEXv2, so I purchased the Ananda new from HeadAmp. I really like the Ananda, but like someone else stated in the thread, I don't buy this stuff to critique the equipment, I actually just really enjoy music and as long as the quality is really good, I can pretty much forget all of the technical details and just get lost in the music.

I completely understand your reason to buy tech.
I would rather listen then buy, but as im on a Geek Forum, i have to provide my specific brand of Geek to try to entertain...:)
However, unlike you, i can't be satisfied with only one, as i am a true audiophile, vs, just a critical listener.
An Audiophile, is a person who likes to hear music, the way its presented, using different gears.....and many if possible.
So, for us, its all about the "re-hearing" through different transmission devices that keeps us smiling.
An Audiophile needs this sort of Sonic Kaleidoscope evaluation option that many gears provide, if we are to be satisfied.
If i were forced to live in a Castle in the Clouds and had to choose 3, as i could not possibly only choose one and be happy, but 3, ...yeah..
I would choose the XV2, The LCD-X, and the STAX SRS-3100.
And yes, there are more expensive headphones, but, i have found that these 3, are not so similar sounding, yet all sound to my ear, very good.
Id be happy with these in my Castle.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,153 of 4,987
I've had the Ananda for a bit over 2 weeks now. Tried the Empyrean, Clear and Ananda. Empy was my favorite but Ananda came really close, and considering the price difference my choice was the Ananda. Build quality is questionable and the stock cable is awful, but other than that it's a terrific headphone, it has convinced me even more after extended use. This might be the upgrade to the HD-650 I've been looking for the last 1-2 years.

Apr 27, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,154 of 4,987
I've had the Ananda for a bit over 2 weeks now. Tried the Empyrean, Clear and Ananda. Empy was my favorite but Ananda came really close, and considering the price difference my choice was the Ananda. Build quality is questionable and the stock cable is awful, but other than that it's a terrific headphone, it has convinced me even more after extended use. This might be the upgrade to the HD-650 I've been looking for the last 1-2 years.

Happiness is using Headphones that you love....:)
The Ananda's are unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back