Hifiman Ananda
Dec 9, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #826 of 4,987
The edition X doesn’t have to be more expensive though.

I recently bought a new one for 700 euro. You just got to dig deep.
All I can say is, Hifiman's pricing strategy among different countries is really confusing..

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #827 of 4,987
I recently auditioned these headphones side by side with the Sundara, Senn 660s, Audeze LCD2C and a pair of Focal Clear. The Ananda blew the competition away, and these are the first headphones I've ever heard that could compete with my speaker system. There is a sale right now to purchase these for $999 CDN, approximately $750 USD brand new. Is that a good price? I'm moving up from a pair NAD HP 50's, so these will be my first and hopefully last high end headphones. Are these a good purchase for the long term? The massdrop Hifiman headphones for $599 USD also peaked my interest, but after brokerage the price may be the same, and I can't audition them.

I'll primarily be using these headphones on my portable video game consoles, phone, laptop and finally desktop computer in that order. I'll be paring them with a schiit modi 2 uber and possibly a schiit magni, buy I haven bought the amp yet. Hopefully they're a good combination.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #828 of 4,987
I recently auditioned these headphones side by side with the Sundara, Senn 660s, Audeze LCD2C and a pair of Focal Clear. The Ananda blew the competition away, and these are the first headphones I've ever heard that could compete with my speaker system. There is a sale right now to purchase these for $999 CDN, approximately $750 USD brand new. Is that a good price? I'm moving up from a pair NAD HP 50's, so these will be my first and hopefully last high end headphones. Are these a good purchase for the long term? The massdrop Hifiman headphones for $599 USD also peaked my interest, but after brokerage the price may be the same, and I can't audition them.

I'll primarily be using these headphones on my portable video game consoles, phone, laptop and finally desktop computer in that order. I'll be paring them with a schiit modi 2 uber and possibly a schiit magni, buy I haven bought the amp yet. Hopefully they're a good combination.

Are you in Vancouver?
Yes they are a great buy for that price, however they might not be good for your uses. Seeing as they're open back the leak sound and allow the intrusion of noise. Also, planars tend to like power, now the Edition X was designed to be used (allegedly) with portable devices so it could work but you may not be getting quite the full experience.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #829 of 4,987
Are you in Vancouver?
Yes they are a great buy for that price, however they might not be good for your uses. Seeing as they're open back the leak sound and allow the intrusion of noise. Also, planars tend to like power, now the Edition X was designed to be used (allegedly) with portable devices so it could work but you may not be getting quite the full experience.

Yes, I'm in Vancouver. The owner at the headphone store told me that the Ananda's would be the easiest to drive I'm not too familiar with the others in the line up. I don't think I can do close back headphones anymore as I'll have two little one's soon and I'll need to be aware when they need attention. I just don't want to have to listen to the hours of baby shark anymore.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #830 of 4,987
Ananda's. Finally had enough time with them to be clear about them. For me, I'd have to EQ the tweeter to own them. Also if they had more sub 50 Hz bass that would help cut the treble bias (not clear if the bass can be EQ'd - so that's another way to try). The HEX V2 is a lot closer to what I could live with and used they are right into that $750 range. However they need more juice than the Ananda. So, no good for you.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #831 of 4,987
How fast is the ananda when it comes to transient response and detail retrieval compared to the other TOTL headphones ?

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #832 of 4,987

the ananda do not worth more than $200 without an amp, it really is.
they need at least 900mw/32 Ohm amp.
otherwise they are a fantastic and should be respected as TOTL hps that deserves a dedicated dac and amp

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #833 of 4,987
the ananda do not worth more than $200 without an amp, it really is.
they need at least 900mw/32 Ohm amp.
otherwise they are a fantastic and should be respected as TOTL hps that deserves a dedicated dac and amp

Would you say the magni is enough? It’s 2W RMS at 32 ohms. The dragonfly dac I tried them with also seemed sufficient to power them. I actually liked the sound with the dragonfly more than the $3k amp/dac I also auditioned them with.

Is there a portable amp that could you would pair with these headphones?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #834 of 4,987
Would you say the magni is enough? It’s 2W RMS at 32 ohms. The dragonfly dac I tried them with also seemed sufficient to power them. I actually liked the sound with the dragonfly more than the $3k amp/dac I also auditioned them with.

i don't have experience with the magni nor the dragonfly, for the power yes 2w/32Ohm is more than enough to drive them.
Your judgment is the utmost important, if it sounds better on certain device go for it, the opinions of all of us headfiers are worthless if it does not relate to your experience

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #835 of 4,987
How fast is the ananda when it comes to transient response and detail retrieval compared to the other TOTL headphones ?

These days its in the low end of cans ($750-1250) that could be considered TOTL. See if you can listen to a bunch.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #836 of 4,987
These days its in the low end of cans ($750-1250) that could be considered TOTL. See if you can listen to a bunch.

yeah i meant between $800-2200
I kinda know everything about the ananda compared to the others except the speed of them.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #837 of 4,987
yeah i meant between $800-2200
I kinda know everything about the ananda compared to the others except the speed of them.

New only or including used? Saw a used HEK V2 for $1700 yesterday, and Amazon took $300 off the new price of the HEK V2 (Arya already lowering sales - or a replacement strategy?) - and that can is better than the Ananda for sure. HEX V2 can be had used under $800, and IMO that's a better can than the Ananda. The only other cans I know real well in the price range are the Senn 800S, Fostex 900 and the Audeze LCD2c, and all I can say is some people love them. Oh yes and the HE6se which might appeal more than say the Arya. The 6se I'd rather have then the Ananda - but you have to used before you get the prices close.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #838 of 4,987
New only or including used? Saw a used HEK V2 for $1700 yesterday, and Amazon took $300 off the new price of the HEK V2 (Arya already lowering sales - or a replacement strategy?) - and that can is better than the Ananda for sure. HEX V2 can be had used under $800, and IMO that's a better can than the Ananda. The only other cans I know real well in the price range are the Senn 800S, Fostex 900 and the Audeze LCD2c, and all I can say is some people love them. Oh yes and the HE6se which might appeal more than say the Arya. The 6se I'd rather have then the Ananda - but you have to used before you get the prices close.

thanks for the list, i was referring to how the ananda's speed compared to the others in that price range, sorry if i was not clear as English is not my first language.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #839 of 4,987
thanks for the list, i was referring to how the ananda's speed compared to the others in that price range, sorry if i was not clear as English is not my first language.

HFM's in general are fast. The Ananda having some aggression in the treble are quite fast. 800S's are quite fast too.

To me it's estats that wear the crown for 'fast'. But getting bass that kicks? And the expense....

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #840 of 4,987
I can’t give you specs but when i owned the ananda they were not slow at all.

No issues there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back