Hifiman Ananda
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #466 of 4,987
Aren't you worried about the possible quality issues? I'm in the same situation as you are, I just need to audition the two models to see whose sound signature I like better. From what I've read I'm leaning more towards the Ananda, but I'm worried about their quality control problems.

No, if i got a faulty unit i will return it, about the Ananda build quality seems pretty good.
Even Audezy have their own QC issues and common reports of driver failing but you can always return the faulty ones.
If you seek perfect qualty control you can always look for Beyerdynamic headphones like the dt 1990.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #467 of 4,987
Hello, friends. Now I'm in the throes of choosing headphones to $ 1300. I've been following models from hifiman for a long time and I've read quite a few reviews and comparisons, and I'm inclined to the model discussed here. But recently I came across a review of headphones from another manufacturer - Audeze. This model is Audeze LCD-X. And some authors compare it to hifiman models, but I can not fully understand which headphones have higher resolution and detail, Hifiman Ananda (edition x v2) or LCD-X? I ask knowledgeable or those who have experience working with these models to help me navigate the issue. I will be grateful for any help.

Audeze is known to have significantly rolled off upper mids/lower treble. So if you value clarity, the Edition X V2 and Ananda will both offer more. They will both also have a larger soundstage. The main difference between the HEX V2 and Ananda is in the treble. The Ananda has an 8K peak that can sound a little harsh and metallic if that area already has a lot of energy in that region. The HEX has beautifully smooth treble which won’t add any sibilance that’s not already there. The Ananda seems to have just a tad less bass than the HEX as well, other than that they’re almost identical.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #468 of 4,987
Hello, friends. Now I'm in the throes of choosing headphones to $ 1300. I've been following models from hifiman for a long time and I've read quite a few reviews and comparisons, and I'm inclined to the model discussed here. But recently I came across a review of headphones from another manufacturer - Audeze. This model is Audeze LCD-X. And some authors compare it to hifiman models, but I can not fully understand which headphones have higher resolution and detail, Hifiman Ananda (edition x v2) or LCD-X? I ask knowledgeable or those who have experience working with these models to help me navigate the issue. I will be grateful for any help.
I bought an Audeze LCD-X four months ago. I listened to the LCD-X and the HiFiMAN Edition X V2. I liked them both but the LCD-X had a more coherent sound. The Edition X had something in the midrange I didn't like. My DAP was an iBasso DX200 so maybe the mids were too thin. I played with the LCD-X for a couple of months. My personal opinion is that the LCD-X is a more cleaner/neutral headphone. Weight and comfort were OK for me. Bass it is well controlled. Soundstage is not very wide. So the LCD-X is a "technical" perfect headphone.

The reason I sold the LCD-X is the midrange. I tried several amps and DAC's but didn't find a solution. Then I heard about the Ananda. I went to the store for a listening session and I was impressed. I really liked the soundstage of the Ananda which is more coherent than the Edition X. My DAP is now a Questyle QP2R and the balanced output has just enough power. I have an Audio-GD amp/dac on my desktop.

The Ananda is a more "romantic" headphone with a richer tonality. So it's a matter of taste. The best advice is go to a shop and listen yourself :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #469 of 4,987
Aren't you worried about the possible quality issues? I'm in the same situation as you are, I just need to audition the two models to see whose sound signature I like better. From what I've read I'm leaning more towards the Ananda, but I'm worried about their quality control problems.
I wouldn’t get too caught up in quality control issues. Thanks had no issue with my ananda. I do like the observations made by the youtube review though.- perceptive on the grid.

I would however always buy it from an authorised dealer/ direct so as to ensure the warranty.

That goes for my elear and lcd2. I would not have bought those without a warranty as those companies too have all had issues (not necessarily a lot) in the past. I’ve ended up happy with all of them with (touch wood) no issues.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #470 of 4,987
Thank you very much, friends.Must assume the detail and resolution of these models are equal, the differences are only in the sound.Of course I need to listen to live.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #471 of 4,987
Thank you very much, friends.Must assume the detail and resolution of these models are equal, the differences are only in the sound.Of course I need to listen to live.

If you care about the details so much look for more intimate headphones like the focal clear and beyerdynamic T1 or dt 1990, but i advice you to not care too much about the details and resolution as other aspects of the sound are important too, if you like the sound of the aforementioned then go for it.

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #474 of 4,987
You guys ever try pulling the cups away from your ears a tiny bit? There's a lot more bass.
Same thing occurr with all hifiman cans I've tried. Not sure how you could ever leverage and control the effect though, sadly.

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #476 of 4,987
Ah I see. Was surprised when I slowly pulled them off and started hearing more bass. Maybe someone can 3d print a spacer lol.
I wondered the same thing back when I had the he-400s with stock pads. They had almost no bass kick, but pull it away from the had and boom, there it was.

If only deeper pass were available for the egg cupped hifimans.

Aug 18, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #477 of 4,987
You guys ever try pulling the cups away from your ears a tiny bit? There's a lot more bass.
That happens with the sundaras too. I was guessing the waveform expands out more from the drivers since in planar drivers, the middle section moves a larger distance compared to the outer parts. Something like how a drum moves.

Aug 18, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #478 of 4,987

Same thing occurr with all hifiman cans I've tried. Not sure how you could ever leverage and control the effect though, sadly.

Ah I see. Was surprised when I slowly pulled them off and started hearing more bass. Maybe someone can 3d print a spacer lol.
You can use thicker pads instead of the stock ones. Though I have to admit, it will be harder to find pads that fit the Ananda's design compared to say, the Sundara's standard circular pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back