Hifiman Ananda
Nov 20, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #4,141 of 4,987
honestly the headphone is worth that price,

I still made out better even after the pad upgrade which personally I believe is going to make a substantial difference 😅

I don't know if it's called serenitypad. Haven't seen that name... They're aftermarket from eBay, handmade to order. They're advertised as lambskin with memory-foam pads, you you can pick perforated like stock or elect for un-perforated which is what I chose. Looking for a little isolation personally

to seems like old Fang had a cousin with a sheepfarm who he gave the blueprints of the pads to as an extra hustle lol

Can't wait !
Thanks for the information. Please tell us about your experience with the new pads.

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #4,142 of 4,987
Update

Attachments

• B67CFF1C-D8BE-4B30-90AC-CE8E99C2E323.jpeg
    B67CFF1C-D8BE-4B30-90AC-CE8E99C2E323.jpeg
    818.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2892FFDA-6937-43CA-9FCF-2516637F0711.jpeg
    2892FFDA-6937-43CA-9FCF-2516637F0711.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DB5EAFBD-BE12-4958-A4E9-1A7D060C7ED7.jpeg
    DB5EAFBD-BE12-4958-A4E9-1A7D060C7ED7.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 20, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #4,145 of 4,987
Either in for a revision or just didn't sell well enough.
The v2 is on adorama for ~$550, not sure how different it is from the original.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #4,148 of 4,987
Thanks for the tip as that seems to be the consensus out there. It’s a head scratcher to me why the HE6 OG would be better according to some but discontinued.
HE-6 were retired in '14 or '15. It and it's progeny the HE-500 are among the best cans ever made by HFM - in particular when modded.

HFM observed the market and decided the HEK/HEX/Ananda/Arya/Susvara technology was the right way forward. Turns out they found more markets with the Sundara, HE-6se, stealth upgrades have also added

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #4,149 of 4,987
HFM seems to put a lot of effort in the drivers and not so much elsewhere. Certainly I have not heard much defense of the pads or cables (and general build)of the HE-6sev1, HE-500 for instance. Now I have not heard the Ananda with anything else but stock pads. Certainly early on there wasn't much out there for pads. But w/o comparison I wouldn't be confident in anything but drivers from HFM.

While the Ananda has been at/near the top of the heap in its price range for some time - Adorama has made it possible for us to get the HE-6se v1 & v2 for less. IMO they both cream the Ananda for less money. Then there is the XS - lots of smoke, not ready to opine until I hear it, but could be another contender.

As far as tuning. Bass under 90 Hz lacks impact, transparent but thin, very thin sounding (harmonics anyone?), a little annoying at 6-7k. Tall image, little tight side to side, depth? meh, accurate well damped bass? Yes. As I've said for people raised and used to SS/portable sound they are fine. To me - artificial and somewhat fey.

My tastes: Susvara, LCD-4, Voce; HE-6/500 (modded), HE-6se, Clear, Senn 600/800S (on OTL only)
Agree 👍
The Ananda have the edge when it comes to its price range (up till lately) but definitely not the best cable or pads or else it would be an Aria.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #4,150 of 4,987
I find that the ear cushions of the headphones fulfill their function well: they are comfortable, the sealing is adequate, they can be replaced by the user and, after a year of intensive use, they keep their shape well (obviously with a slight deformation).
The stock cables are another story: too light and with a memory effect that make them unpleasant to use.
Am using the Focal cables all the way, heavy but solid performers.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #4,151 of 4,987
Agree 👍
The Ananda have the edge when it comes to its price range (up till lately) but definitely not the best cable or pads or else it would be an Aria.
Umm no. Arya circa 2019 != Ananda circa 2019. It's much better. Definition, bass, and soundstage - unmistakable. Now Arya is hotter in the highs -but that can be fixed via EQ, unlike Ananda w.r.t. bass impact which cannot be repaired even with a +12 db at 30 Hz, but it will muddy up the damping and of course ruin the music as recorded.

Note: crinicle & oratory recommended bass settings under 100 Hz are a travesty. Thier FR charts are accurate - set from those.

Warning: planar owners they do not look at or adjust for ringing. Gotta do that yourself start with waterfall plots, and any comments u can find. Plug in -1.5 db for 1-3 of the worst cases. Less fatigue and cruft in the treble? Then iso to each setting. Move the freq - at 3k 30 Hz. increments. At 9k 90 hz. Find it? Try going to 10 & 30 Hz increments. I find that curtailing ringing is more important than most FR settings. Go easy on the db (all my setting go from 1.1 to 1.8). There is music there. We are just taking off the edge such as the HFM series has. Long term and fatigue free listening ( and more proper tonality ) are the rewards.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #4,152 of 4,987
Umm no. Arya circa 2019 != Ananda circa 2019. It's much better. Definition, bass, and soundstage - unmistakable. Now Arya is hotter in the highs -but that can be fixed via EQ, unlike Ananda w.r.t. bass impact which cannot be repaired even with a +12 db at 30 Hz, but it will muddy up the damping and of course ruin the music as recorded.

Note: crinicle & oratory recommended bass settings under 100 Hz are a travesty. Thier FR charts are accurate - set from those.

Warning: planar owners they do not look at or adjust for ringing. Gotta do that yourself start with waterfall plots, and any comments u can find. Plug in -1.5 db for 1-3 of the worst cases. Less fatigue and cruft in the treble? Then iso to each setting. Move the freq - at 3k 30 Hz. increments. At 9k 90 hz. Find it? Try going to 10 & 30 Hz increments. I find that curtailing ringing is more important than most FR settings. Go easy on the db (all my setting go from 1.1 to 1.8). There is music there. We are just taking off the edge such as the HFM series has. Long term and fatigue free listening ( and more proper tonality ) are the rewards.
You may be interested in the new Schiit Lokius in this case.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #4,153 of 4,987
You may be interested in the new Schiit Lokius in this case.
I like that it's balanced very much. Analog EQ usually puts a bigger fingerprint on the sound than digital - but thats not proven in this case - yet, although the distortion when a freq is pegged isn't good at all.. However comparing parametric to fixed freqs is like comparing a '62 Corvair to a current BMW M5. It's simply never going to meet all the need of a specific can - at best overall it can improve FR balance in some cans but far from all. Also if you aim at muting ringing in planars as I do it's a bludgeon where a scalpel is needed.

Heavy EQ in the bass ruins musical integrity and it will never give the Ananda impact as exists in other HFM cans. No analog EQ ever sold can do that - from my 2200 Series Soundcraftsman I bought in 1977 - onward. Reduce the size of the Ananda membrane say 35% and it will probably have lots of impact.

The designers were not out to build a bass cannon. - I just want people to understand the can. Fine deal for the money most of its life, but it has detectable flaws. I find that both the HE-6se v1 & v2 are better cans for less (adorama). Some say the XS is in the same category. Perhaps doing a stealth Ananda is the next answer.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #4,154 of 4,987
I like that it's balanced very much. Analog EQ usually puts a bigger fingerprint on the sound than digital - but thats not proven in this case - yet, although the distortion when a freq is pegged isn't good at all.. However comparing parametric to fixed freqs is like comparing a '62 Corvair to a current BMW M5. It's simply never going to meet all the need of a specific can - at best overall it can improve FR balance in some cans but far from all. Also if you aim at muting ringing in planars as I do it's a bludgeon where a scalpel is needed.

Heavy EQ in the bass ruins musical integrity and it will never give the Ananda impact as exists in other HFM cans. No analog EQ ever sold can do that - from my 2200 Series Soundcraftsman I bought in 1977 - onward. Reduce the size of the Ananda membrane say 35% and it will probably have lots of impact.

The designers were not out to build a bass cannon. - I just want people to understand the can. Fine deal for the money most of its life, but it has detectable flaws. I find that both the HE-6se v1 & v2 are better cans for less (adorama). Some say the XS is in the same category. Perhaps doing a stealth Ananda is the next answer.
Well am using a non equalized configuration myself including a McIntosch amp without any treble or bass knobs even 🙂

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #4,155 of 4,987
Well am using a non equalized configuration myself including a McIntosch amp without any treble or bass knobs even 🙂
That's great. The original point was bass impact. You said anybody could get all the bass impact they want from the Ananda with or without EQ. I disagree with the notion that they posses impact at equal the level of speed and damping that they posses. It's a weak point - noted by reviewers professional and otherwise.

Nothing is likely to be agreed on here so please enjoy your music and equipment. Ciao..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back