Hifiman Ananda
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #3,422 of 4,987
I had the Ananda and the Arya to test out for a few weeks. Honestly, for the price jump between the 2, the Ananada's are great.

I might just get a pair of open box Anandas to add to the collection.
JUST out of curiosity...were the Arya’s really a good but more treble-focused than the Ananda’s? It’s the only thing making me hesitate picking a pair up. I think I’d be using them especially for movies and classical music.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #3,424 of 4,987
I really do want try the 6SE, since the Ananda/Arya cup shape did end up getting a little bothersome.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #3,425 of 4,987
JUST out of curiosity...were the Arya’s really a good but more treble-focused than the Ananda’s? It’s the only thing making me hesitate picking a pair up. I think I’d be using them especially for movies and classical music.
For me the Arya was too grainy and treble was peaky.

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #3,426 of 4,987
by the way i got a vali 2 to try out as a tube pre amp and i tried it with the ananda with some nice NOS tubes and its amazing what it did for the ananda. no longer annoying highs on some songs and better mids. unfortunately for the ananda it sounds even better as a pre with JOT 2 on the he6se. its not even close. but i highly suggest adding a nice tube pre not one of those cheap Chinese ones to your planars. quite nice and the vali 2+ has great measurements for those that still want "pure" sound just with some more warmth for 150$

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #3,428 of 4,987
I was wondering, is the standard warranty on Hifiman headphones always only 1 year?

Or 1 year only on open boxes?

I read that other houses like Focal give 5 years warranty.
Always 1 year https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/warranty-policy:
What does this limited warranty cover?

HIFIMAN warrants to the original purchaser that the product purchased will be free of defects related to manufacturing, parts, materials, and workmanship under normal and accepted use. Shipment of the defective item for repair under this warranty will be at the customer’s own risk and expense.

What will we do to correct problem?

HIFIMAN will either repair the product at no charge or offer a replacement, using new or refurbished replacement

How long does the coverage last?

Headphones (Except HE1000): 30-day refund and 1 Year warranty

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,430 of 4,987
Can someone tell me the difference between ananda and Arya? I had the Ananda and wasn't too impressed.

Let me explain. Loved the grand tall sounds but everything felt so close to my head. I would say I need more air and I guess Arya can provide that. Is these any other difference besides the air/soundstage?

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #3,431 of 4,987
Ananda is better tuned than Arya. If you want to upgrade from Ananda, you can consider HE6SE or the more expensive HE1000SE.
+1 for he6se. its an ananda with better tuning and more meat and slam. for same or cheaper price. not to mention more conventionally comfortable and well made with a cool gold driver you can tell was engineered with no cost object. and audioscience review just measured the original he6 to be one of the best planar drivers ever made with chanel matching imaging and distortion profile. only downside is need 4 or 5 watts per channel at 50 ohms lol

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #3,432 of 4,987
Ok Ananda-heads...I FINALLY got a pair of GL2000 here to compare side-by-side with the Ananda. I know there have been other impressions by more "qualified" listeners, but I felt like just posting mine as well. It's only the first day with them, so bear that in mind! Running both through the RebelAmp and BF2. Will try with the Violectric V200 once I get balanced interconnects. So far I gotta say I like the Ananda more, but this is before burn-in, so only time will tell if things change (I doubt it).

Pros for the GL2000:
-Impact! There is a definite advantage over the Ananda in sheer impact of all parts of the frequency range. Acoustic guitars have a sense of physical impact and not just a "pluck," voices are more clear and intimate when called on, and drums slam harder (still not "hard).
-Bass. More of it, maybe not as detailed, but much more "solid" feeling. There seems to be more of it too. Both in the sub-bass and mid-bass.
-Lower-midrange warmth. I feel like the Ananda has a sweet tonality, but lacks the body of the lower-mids that something like an HD600 has. The GL2000 has some of that good wamth, without over-doing it at all.
-Timbre. Not great, but definitely better than the Ananda. Things are somewhat drier, but also more realistic. Especially voices, which on the Ananda seem to be off every time to me, unless they're running through my WA6-SE...in which case they sound only a little off.
-Air. The Ananda lacks air. Not upper midrange or lower treble, but the air is just absent. It's not on the GL2000's, it has that air quality I've been missing.
-Layering. Even though imaging is not as good, the sense of layering seems like an improvement over the somewhat flat presentation of the Ananda.

Pros for the Ananda:
-Cohesion. Somehow the whole musical picture is presented in a more cohesive way. Don't understand how or why. The GL2000 present sound all around you, while the Ananda is more of a speaker presentation. This is the first thing I notice switching back to the Ananda.
-Imaging. This goes along with cohesion. Images are just more clearly presented. Instrument separation is also much better.
-Sence of space. Maybe the images are more blurry and larger on the GL2000, but I hear more space (between the instruments, around the whole ensemble) much more easily on the Ananda.
-Details. Yeah, the Ananda is better with details. No question. GL2000 has that weird midrange haze/indistinctness. It reminds me of listening to my Mimby after getting the Bifrost 2.
-Less compression. The Ananda is more dynamic, which isn't "slam" the way I'm using the word. It's got a wider separation between loud and soft, forte and piano, if you will. It's also not great! Just goes to show you how much the GL2000's are compressed. It's very annoying, and yet exciting for certain songs. Especially if you like details shoved in your face.
-Comfort. I have the ZMF co-pilot on my pair, and comfort is so good on the Ananda. I also get a better seal than with the GL2000 personally, probably because clamp force is stronger on the Ananda, so I just feel like they're more secure on my head. Not a fan on the thick, padded headband on the GL2000, although I don't get a hot spot. It's just...not as comfortable. They're quite a bit heavier as well. (Also, it still surprises me that the Ananda has the edge on comfort for me, despite the non-swivleable earcups. Go figure! Guess HifiMan knew what they were doing after all.)

Equal on both:
-Soundstage. I think they extend just as far, but again, the presentation is different on each. The Ananda is more all in front of you and "cohesive," while the GL2000 is kinda...everywhere, from all sides. GL2000 might have the slight edge here, being both a little more deep and a little wider, but it's hard to tell when the music is so compressed.

That's it for now! Curious to hear if anyone else has made these observations, or different ones! I'll post more as I get used to the GL2000 and they (and my brain) burn in.

P.S. The GoldPlanar 1/8" cable with 1/4" adaptor for the GL2000 is AWESOME with both it and the Ananda. Regardless of which 'phones I keep, this cable is staying with me.

It looks like the ZMF pads are the exact fit lengthwise with barely any room to spare. I've been thinking about getting them for my Aryas. Do you know their length? The zmf website doesn't list it.

EDIT: nevermind I found a diagram with the dimensions - 8 inches.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #3,434 of 4,987
It looks like the ZMF pads are the exact fit lengthwise with barely any room to spare. I've been thinking about getting them for my Aryas. Do you know their length? The zmf website doesn't list it.

EDIT: nevermind I found a diagram with the dimensions - 8 inches.
Yeah they kinda fall off my Ananda from time to time, just because the velcro inside doesn’t exactly line up with the edges of the suspension strap (it’s a hair wide). They work really well though! I’d think there wouldn’t be any problem getting them to fit on the Arya.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #3,435 of 4,987
+1 for he6se. its an ananda with better tuning and more meat and slam. for same or cheaper price. not to mention more conventionally comfortable and well made with a cool gold driver you can tell was engineered with no cost object. and audioscience review just measured the original he6 to be one of the best planar drivers ever made with chanel matching imaging and distortion profile. only downside is need 4 or 5 watts per channel at 50 ohms lol

how wide is its sound stage of the He6se? the He6se is double the price of the Ananda though?

i have the same complaint i'm driving it with Topping A50s atm the sound stage feels like a closed headphone (in your head) thus compromising on the separation and positioning. Also it sounds not as clean with a lazy/warm veil on top this is especially apparent on Piano tracks where the key impacts don't resonate as much making it sound electric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back