Hifiman Ananda
Mar 30, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,861 of 4,987
The bass under 100 Hz is pretty similar - but in other ways, I don't agree.

I find them quite different. HEX v2 is missing basically 3db of upper midrange/low treble 2k - 4 k which leads to it not sounding as dynamic as the Ananda. But, there are other aspects of the HEX v2 that make it sound very coherent, and somewhat mellow. Use an EQ to give a low bass kick, slightly reduce some lower mids, fix the upper mids - it really starts to sound closer to the HEK v2.

I haven't tried to adjust the Ananda w/ an EQ. I'll hold my opinion at this point.
What is your recommended EQ settings for HEXv2?

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #1,862 of 4,987
What is your recommended EQ settings for HEXv2?

It's still changing a bit, but, this is pretty close for my pair. Toneboosters EQ parametric.

Freq - DB - Q

78 +3.2 0.78 - Low Shelf
240 -1.5 0.55 - Digital Bell 2
2325 +3.7 2.48 - "
3295 +3.7 2.48 - "
8050 -2.7 7.50 - "
16250 -4.0 7.65 - "

Mar 30, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #1,863 of 4,987
Why? these two headphones sound close (I prefer HEXv2). You might be better off with something different like Focal Elex.
As @bagwell359 mentioned, the two headphones don't really sound alike at all. That was the problem for many who really favored the HEX V2 sound. The Ananda had a different tonal balance that some saw as too analytical and for some too bright. I like my HEX but heck just to have something different might give the Ananda a shot.

Had the Elex and would take the HEX or the Ananda over the Elex. The Elex used to be a bargain, but not with Elear with different pads going for less and the Ananda coming down in price. I see no need for the Elex anymore.

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,865 of 4,987
1 hour used ananda. What’s their used value

Not sure, but I'd wait until the asking price goes back up to $999, because at the lowered $699, it might be tough to score over $500, whereas at $999, $500 should be no trouble, maybe even get near mid/high 600's.

You could try a diff amp and/or an EQ. I know I was pretty disenchanted with some of my audio purchases after the first hour. Heck, they might just need some break-in - but I'd do it my way. Do not listen to it every time it plays. I gave my last new phone - HE6SE, 9 hours on w/o me, then 1 hr with them on. In the middle, an hour with a known good phone so I wouldn't bend my opinion around the new toy. It took about 90 hours before I couldn't ID any more changes.

Good luck.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,867 of 4,987
Not sure, but I'd wait until the asking price goes back up to $999, because at the lowered $699, it might be tough to score over $500, whereas at $999, $500 should be no trouble, maybe even get near mid/high 600's.

You could try a diff amp and/or an EQ. I know I was pretty disenchanted with some of my audio purchases after the first hour. Heck, they might just need some break-in - but I'd do it my way. Do not listen to it every time it plays. I gave my last new phone - HE6SE, 9 hours on w/o me, then 1 hr with them on. In the middle, an hour with a known good phone so I wouldn't bend my opinion around the new toy. It took about 90 hours before I couldn't ID any more changes.

Good luck.
Thx got them in exchange for broke hex. Just prefer my 800s Hate to see a nice can not being used.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,868 of 4,987
I'm not sure the price ever go back up to MSRP $999. Since November highest price were $850.

Ah.... thanks for the correction.

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #1,869 of 4,987
Another Hifiman cable started to cutting signal off right channel. It's 4th cable or 5th cable from hifiman (Sundara and Ananda cables), whatever. I probably won't request another cable replacement, because of quarantine I'll get it in the next month at best, and it will eventually break up anyway. I know Hifiman doing great job in improving quality control, for example they make some revisions of their headphones last year, and I didn't hear about driver failures for Sundara/Ananda for some time. But cables seriously requires some attention, I didn't care about them at all and people buying custom cables, especially for $$$, made me laugh, but it's ridiculous how fragile stock hifiman cables. I'm not the only one complaining about it, many reviewers mention it too. Come on hifiman, we need better cables.

I bought some 6.3 jack to 3.5 jack adapter for a couple bucks to use it with long stock hifiman cable. Works just fine for now. But now I see myself getting some nice custom cable.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,870 of 4,987
I noticed interesting change of sound (bass enhancement), when I changed seating of headphones on my head. I normally seat them around ears, so that cups (pads) are in touch with the head all around. Just for curiosity, I wanted to know if Anandas are useable with glasses on. Yes, they are, no sound change noticed. But, accidentaly I tried position of cups moved upfront, so that they touch or even support my ear (auricles) and most of the pressure is behind ears, while upper front part of the pad doesn't touch the head at all. To my surprise, I hear quite nice bass uplift :) What do you think about this? What makes bass stronger?

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #1,871 of 4,987
I noticed interesting change of sound (bass enhancement), when I changed seating of headphones on my head. I normally seat them around ears, so that cups (pads) are in touch with the head all around. Just for curiosity, I wanted to know if Anandas are useable with glasses on. Yes, they are, no sound change noticed. But, accidentaly I tried position of cups moved upfront, so that they touch or even support my ear (auricles) and most of the pressure is behind ears, while upper front part of the pad doesn't touch the head at all. To my surprise, I hear quite nice bass uplift :) What do you think about this? What makes bass stronger?
All big Hifimans (he1k shape, like Arya, Ananda etc.) are quite sensitive to position on head - Most of reviews i have read say the same thing - to get the best sound one need to experiment. It is pretty obvious if you think about it - most of ear pads change bring some changes in sound signature and it is only partly because of material but in my opinion mostly to different shape depth etc it is responsible for positions of membrane relatively to ears - same thing can be observed with different position on head - Big tear shape hifimans are so big that gives you a lot of manoeuvre and loads of possible sound signatures. Sometimes the best sounding position is not the most comfortable one though.

Apr 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #1,872 of 4,987
There was a thread in the HEX v2 thread I started in 2019. I found that even with a big fairly tall head, that the cups were too low on my head. I tried wash cloths and other things to get the cups higher. The right place for me was to have the the center of the membrane pointed right into your ear canal.

I then bought a pair of nuggets which did a much better and cooler job than wash cloths.

If you are a cable guy the HEX's seem to like silver for more high frequency detail. But for the Ananda, I'd say good old fashioned copper, and if your amp is better in XLR, and you don't have one that fits the Ananda, get one. And then get a parametric EQ. It does a lot for the HEX v2, it could do as much for the Ananda.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,874 of 4,987
As promised, the comparisons are below. You certainly don't have to read it but this is where I talk about the HE500 :wink: Also, it's over 1,000 words.
Ananda vs K7XX

Ok, we are going to start with my personal entry-level, benchmark: the Drop/AKG K7XX. Right of the bat the two headphones are equally aggressive, however, the Ananda is much smoother and shows the graininess and roughness of the K7XX. They are both musical and the soundstage width is equal but a poorly recorded song (in this case Take a Message by Remy Shand) is brutal with the K7XX and clearly enjoyable albeit flawed with the Ananda. The forward stage is immediately lost with the K7XX but the width remains in the Ananda. The unfortunate part is that to me, the Anandas equals the instrument separation of the K7XX without besting it (either a compliment to the K7XX or a diss to the Ananda). This held true for a few different songs. The Ananda is faster, cleaner, more controlled and more expressive across the board compared to the K7XX; it's also less fatiguing while maintaining equal treble energy. Anything the K7XX does the Ananda can do better. Comfort was roughly equal and the build of the Ananda felt more solid. If you have a solid-state amp (no guarantees if its tube) that can push the K7XX well you can easily power the Ananda, it only took a small turn (think 3-5 minutes on a clock) to get the Anandas to close volume.

Ananda vs Ether Flow 1.1 (no tuning pads used)

Here is where my opinion that the Ananda doesn’t quite compete with the better planars starts to take shape.
I’ve always had a bit of a love-hate relationship with the Mr. Speakers Ether Flows. There are days where I put it on and everything I play sounds exquisite; then there are days when I’m tempted to trade it for a less analytical and ballsier dynamic. What I love about it though, is its transparency. I feel like I’m hearing exactly what is going on in my system and exactly how that song is supposed to sound with minimal beautification. The Ananda lacks the clean, black background that the EF 1.1 has, instead it's more like a gray smokiness; it's still quite pleasing but it shows that there's a lack of transparency in comparison. In My Different World by Bola Sete, the first thing I noticed switching between the Ananda and EF 1.1 was the increased clarity, tone and placement of the EF 1.1. Everything was better defined; it was like each instrument had its own spotlight against a black background. The Ananda however, brought height and more width (though marginal) to the sound; also, the bass was rendered in a clearer and heavier manner. In F*ck it, I love you by Lana Del Rey, the EF 1.1 again showed a blacker background, superior placement, better layering and an enhanced clarity. The Ananda managed to use its space to counter its comparatively worse detail retrieval, while its bolder bass added drive to the song as well as an emotive rawness to counter the cooler EF 1.1 signature. The extra midrange and bass of the Ananda coupled with its much larger soundstage (better height, more depth, slightly more width) adds a dimensionality that helps counter the technically superior albeit analytical EF 1.1. I could see the two headphones making a great efficient planar one-two combo; the EF 1.1 for days where you want to hear the microscopic detail and precision, the Ananda for gutsier rock and pure musical enjoyment. There is no doubt in my mind that the EF 1.1 beats the pants off the Ananda in technicalities, however the Ananda consistently sounded musically right to my ears. Still, I’d give the edge to the EF 1.1.

Ananda vs HE500 (Dekoni Fenestrated TH900 sheepskin pads)

To me, without a doubt the HE500 is the better headphone. Equal soundstage width, slightly less height and depth but DRASTICALLY better imaging and separation. The HE500 has a lesser mid-bass bump that makes the bass at first blush seem lesser in quantity but its tighter and has better sub bass extension. The HE500 that I have has better body and clarity while maintaining equal musicality; the Ananda is much more forward or aggressive sounding whereas the HE500 can sound relaxed and unperturbed. Think a nice Mazda Miata versus an E-class Benz. The Benz will go fast but it's not meant for absolute speed or getting your heart thumping and your blood rushing; the Miata will excite you but it's clearly less refined. The laidback treble of the HE500 does not equal a loss of detail though, in fact, the enhanced clarity and separation help unearth more detail and let dramatic parts be dramatic while sensual songs stay sensual. Singers are closer and have their correct physical character through the HE500, drums are less aggressive but much cleaner, bass (digital or not) sounds tighter while still being pleasant. The whole signature of (my) HE500 is relatively close to that of the Ananda while being cleaner and less excitable.

The Ananda beats the HE500 in three areas that for some people are deal breaker: warranty, drivability and comfort. Any HE500 you can buy right now is irreparable should something happen to it, they require much more current and want it to be cleaner, and it is heavier and less ergonomically designed. If those things bother you than the Ananda is a great choice that is only beaten in direct comparison (provided the amp is up to the task). However, if you already have an HE500 and you like it and want more from it, forget the Anandas, grab a vintage integrated, change the pads, maybe consider doing the Fuzzor mod and get something like the LCD3 or X or EF1.1 to compliment it.

Here is the ultimate wrap up to the Ananda vs HE500 debate imo.

The main advantage of the HE500 over the Ananda is twofold:
1) to my ears the driver is clearly superior. There wasn’t anything I heard the Ananda do that I wouldn’t say the HE500 could do better and differently.
2) its modability. Any pad that will fit the TH600, Beyerdynamic DT-series or Mr. Speaker EF will fit the HE500, plus with the fuzzor mod, bluetac mod and screen removal (all before cable swaps), one could tune an HE500 to sound similar to the Ananda or enhance its original voicing.

@bagwell359 has an HE500 with (if I remember correctly) the Fuzzor mod, new cables, screen removal and EF pads, his set probably sounds equal to yet drastically different from mine. There aren’t many if any mods available for the Ananda and no pad swaps short of DIY; with the right sets of reversible mods the HE500 is just consistently better.

Without a doubt HE500 drivers in the HE560 body with 2.5mm or 3.5mm connectors is a vastly superior headphone because it solves the comfort and ergo problems while maintaining the superior drivers. There are a number of these exact modded HE500’s on head-fi and I’m always tempted to buy one when they come up for sale. If you have the power or are willing to get it I would recommend the HE500 as the headphone to get over the Ananda, provided your willing to buy used and can handle the risk that entails.

Thanks to anyone who read all that!

it seems i need to hold my breath and cash for ananda, I'm mainly listening for laid back acoustic/synth sounds. It's fun with more aggressive presentation for the start, but I do not find such signature musical for my taste. He500 I think would fit me more coming from oppo's, but it's hard to find one :/

Apr 17, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #1,875 of 4,987
it seems i need to hold my breath and cash for ananda, I'm mainly listening for laid back acoustic/synth sounds. It's fun with more aggressive presentation for the start, but I do not find such signature musical for my taste. He500 I think would fit me more coming from oppo's, but it's hard to find one :/

The 500 has had a resurgence of interest over the past 18 months or so. Tough to find now for under $400 if its in fine or better shape w/ extras. Since I got mine - like 2.5 years it's basically been my reference. And like any open eyed booster, there are things that are wrong with it, you'll notice over time.

Sub bass - doesn't really rattle under 30 Hz, Ananda goes down to 10-12 Hz, but the timbre and attack of the 500 is more satisfying under 400 Hz.

500's departure from neutral: small bulge in lower mids (750 Hz), small dips at 3k and 5.5k - this gives a sense of midrange depth, and the serious amount of ringing it produces at 9k helps fill in the big dip at 12k, and the 3k and 5.5k - plus gives that shimmery forever cymbal decay. It seems quite neutral with no EQ, more neutral than the Ananda. But when you EQ the 500 it warms up and evens out but not in a syrupy way. I have no more to say on the Ananda until I can lay an EQ on it.

My guess on the Ananda, set it: (if you haven't handled a parametric EQ then "Q" and "narrow" won't make much sense)

55 Hz +2 db low shelf
90-200 Hz -1.5 db (so center about 145 Hz Q of about 3.5)
200-500Hz -3.5 db (so center about 320 Hz Q of about 4)
1.75 kHz +3 (narrow)
8.5 kHz -8 (a bit wider than narrow, whoa - that's a big number)
15k -2.5 db (narrow)

I've done multiple iterations on the HEX v2, and the differences in the EQ settings go a long way to explaining the diff between it and the Ananda. HEX's big issue is needing a 3.7 db boost from 2-3.5k. What strikes me is this: if you like Beyers, Grado, and many AKG's than the Ananda is your can with its massive rise centered at 8.5 kHz (the bulge is from 7k to 10k).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back