Hifiman Ananda
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #136 of 4,987
Starts off by saying it has the same 2.5mm connectors as the Edition X. It clearly has 3.5mm.
It also says it uses the 'usual' driver, which I believe is also untrue. HiFiMan told me it has a slightly more extended treble than the HEX so I *think* it has a new driver diaphragm material.
This review doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.
Yes,
It's funny because I saw that and a bunch of inconsistencies that lead me to believe that this person never even had the actual product that they were reviewing. We have to be so careful about the source of our information.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #137 of 4,987
Did you forget original HeX was around 1800, for me the 1k price is about right. I remember comparing the HEX 2 with the Aeon closed and Elear and for my taste totally preferred the HEX2. And If this ones are similar to the HEx2, they are a value in my book. Off course I wish they would be cheaper
I remember that perfectly, and I also remember that many reviewers argued that price was a bit on the high side. Months later with the launch of the HEX V2, price was significantly reduced. I agree that the HEX2 is superior in some aspects to the AFC and the Elear, nonetheless, the thing here is that they're playing in the same league of "entry level high end" where price has become very competitive. Judging by the opinions of those who have looked at the Ananda, it offers a solid alternative in the sub 1k, nonetheless, the value is determined not in terms of the own HiFiman line of headphones, but also in the context of competition.

In the sub 1k we have many solid headphones that will please different preferences and all of them are priced in the 700-800 range: the Aeon Flow Open (warm, musical and inviting), the Audeze LCD2C(less warm than the AFO, with the good bass for which Audeze is known), the Focal Elex/Elear (very dynamic, with good bass punch), the ZMF Ori, among others. All these headphones are great choices and they are pretty well built. In the middle of these competitors, the Ananda brings its own virtues to the game and they indeed have their distinctive sound signature, but at 999, they may not be price too competitively.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #138 of 4,987
I remember that perfectly, and I also remember that many reviewers argued that price was a bit on the high side. Months later with the launch of the HEX V2, price was significantly reduced. I agree that the HEX2 is superior in some aspects to the AFC and the Elear, nonetheless, the thing here is that they're playing in the same league of "entry level high end" where price has become very competitive. Judging by the opinions of those who have looked at the Ananda, it offers a solid alternative in the sub 1k, nonetheless, the value is determined not in terms of the own HiFiman line of headphones, but also in the context of competition.

In the sub 1k we have many solid headphones that will please different preferences and all of them are priced in the 700-800 range: the Aeon Flow Open (warm, musical and inviting), the Audeze LCD2C(less warm than the AFO, with the good bass for which Audeze is known), the Focal Elex/Elear (very dynamic, with good bass punch), the ZMF Ori, among others. All these headphones are great choices and they are pretty well built. In the middle of these competitors, the Ananda brings its own virtues to the game and they indeed have their distinctive sound signature, but at 999, they may not be price too competitively.

Let's not forget that the Sundara is there to fill a gap. Cheaper than the above listed competitors yet hangs with them when I read reviews on this forum (some liking it better than say the LCD-2C for eg.)
Listing the Ananda @ $1000 is a good decision seeing the Sundara comes around $500.

Kelvin

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #139 of 4,987
As it's a replacement for the HEX, I see it as a potentially improved headphone for $300 less. If they did well with the HEX, they should do even better with the Ananda.
p.s. a new section has appeared on the store as follows:

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 18.45.40.png

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #140 of 4,987
Let's not forget that the Sundara is there to fill a gap. Cheaper than the above listed competitors yet hangs with them when I read reviews on this forum (some liking it better than say the LCD-2C for eg.)
Listing the Ananda @ $1000 is a good decision seeing the Sundara comes around $500.

Kelvin
Agreed, the Sundara is a good headphone at its price. I can understand the 1000 price, but I still think that unless you like the specific sound signature of the Ananda, it could get more adoption at the 800 price, which seems to be the sweetspot in the 500-1000 price range

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #141 of 4,987
Agreed, the Sundara is a good headphone at its price. I can understand the 1000 price, but I still think that unless you like the specific sound signature of the Ananda, it could get more adoption at the 800 price, which seems to be the sweetspot in the 500-1000 price range

I disagree. If you don’t like a headphones sound signature, you’re not going to buy it at any price. While Hifiman definitely has quality issues, their headphones tend to have much better clarity and resolution than other manufacturers like Audeze and Mr. Speakers. Audeze especially, sacrifices too much upper mid/lower treble for inoffensive smoothness. But if you listen to classic rock/folk/vocal/classical genres, you lose way too much information. Another area where Hifiman excels above its competition is in instrument separation and soundstage. I would argue the HEK V2 soundstage is just as large as the 800S (and I’ve owned both of them). And the HEX V2 is close behind. Both of those are definitely larger than any Audeze or Mr. Speakers model to date. And the HEK V2 costs $1000 less than the Audeze 4 or 4Z.
The internal technology of Hifiman is fantastic. They just need to work on build quality and customer relations. The new price of the Ananda is very competitive. It seems to be even better than the HEX and costs less. I can’t wait til mine arrive.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #143 of 4,987
Well,
I just cancelled me order.
I have never had such a bad customer service experience in my entire life.
The short version: I ordered the Ananda on July 3rd via the HiFiMAN website, I get the PayPal email $999.00, I get the HiFiMAN invoice showing my purchase, I get the UPS Tracking number.

Today, I get an email from someone stating that I need to send my Photo ID so that they can verify a purchase as company policy is $500+

Keep in mind that I paid for this via PayPal which is direct cash from my account, not credit.

I went back and fourth with them all day and I just got tired of the nonsense and cancelled, there are no headphones worth that kind of frustration, nothing is that good.

I have the email chains to show I'm not making this up, Wow!!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #144 of 4,987
just buy from ttvj

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #145 of 4,987
just buy from ttvj
May not be a problem for some, but I just tied up $1k cash and have to wait for the refund to be at least processing before putting out another $1k.

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #146 of 4,987
That's crazy. Never had that done to me. Although I have ordered from them in the past. But those were just for ten dollar parts and what not. I would have done the same too if that happened to me. They got one of the fastest shipping I've seen though. 3 days from China to US. Even when I do fast shipping from Japan it takes longer.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #148 of 4,987
Sorry for that. Experienced almost the same thing with hifiman last year. But yours seem worse.
Thanks, the worst part of this is that he stated that this is to avoid Credit Card Fraud and I paid with PayPal Directly from my Checking Account, so this is Cash and now it is tied up until they process the cancellation and whatever time it takes for the Bank and PayPal to complete the transaction.

I told them I am simply not going to send a picture of my Drivers license to them, it has so much PII Data on it, too risky, there is already enough of our information out there already.

When I forwarded the PayPal email to him, I said, you already took my money, how on earth could there be any risk from me. Of course he had no answer, it just didn't make sense.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #149 of 4,987
Thanks, the worst part of this is that he stated that this is to avoid Credit Card Fraud and I paid with PayPal Directly from my Checking Account, so this is Cash and now it is tied up until they process the cancellation and whatever time it takes for the Bank and PayPal to complete the transaction.

I told them I am simply not going to send a picture of my Drivers license to them, it has so much PII Data on it, too risky, there is already enough of our information out there already.

When I forwarded the PayPal email to him, I said, you already took my money, how on earth could there be any risk from me. Of course he had no answer, it just didn't make sense.

That sucks. I didn’t order mine from Hifiman. I ordered from Audio46.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #150 of 4,987

Agreed. That absolutely makes no sense. Ironic as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back