HIFIMAN ANANDA-BT Loaner Tour
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #61 of 115
Didn’t get any message :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #62 of 115
Hey @Ichos are you sure that thing does charge while playing back music via USB-C? Had to ask because 1.) The manual says you have to press the charging button to initiate charging via USB and 2.) I got a battery warning after listening for a while via USB.

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #63 of 115
Hey @Ichos are you sure that thing does charge while playing back music via USB-C? Had to ask because 1.) The manual says you have to press the charging button to initiate charging via USB and 2.) I got a battery warning after listening for a while via USB.
The manual states that first the headphone has to be connected and USB playback mode enabled (white light flashing) and only then you can press the charging button for two seconds. Have you done it in this order?

Feb 7, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #64 of 115
Ah okay, now I got it. So you can apparently listen withouth charging the battery, do both parallel or connect for charging only. The concept behind this makes some kind of sense but is still highly unpractical. In order to charge your device you have to remember pressing that freaking charging button :rolling_eyes:

Feb 7, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #65 of 115
Ah okay, now I got it. So you can apparently listen withouth charging the battery, do both parallel or connect for charging only. The concept behind this makes some kind of sense but is still highly unpractical. In order to charge your device you have to remember pressing that freaking charging button :rolling_eyes:
That's one way of looking at it. Now imagine the charge button wasn't there and it would automatically charge when plugged into a portable device (laptop, usb-c phone or tablet). It would drain the battery of the master device.

Feb 7, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #68 of 115
BTW I have emailed support and I am waiting to answer for the max volume problem under windows os.

Please all other Ananda BT owners do the same.
I noticed the volume is higher when using Bluetooth as opposed to using a cable which is unexpected.

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #70 of 115
That's one way of looking at it. Now imagine the charge button wasn't there and it would automatically charge when plugged into a portable device (laptop, usb-c phone or tablet). It would drain the battery of the master device.

Well, in theory that makes sense. But keep in mind that the Ananda (BT) is one of the most open headphones out there. The places where you can actually use them usually have a power supply nearby. The only reason to use the USB-connection is low battery on the headphone or Laptops/Computers without Bluetooth function (then again, why not get the wired version of the Ananda instead... ). I don't want to start a big arguement here, I'm just scratching my head over the general design and use concept here :)

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #71 of 115
You are going to use the USB connection when you want better sound , because the USB connection is way superior sounding.
And you don't want to get the wired version, because you don't like
to mess with amps , dacs , cables etc.
You plug this beauty to your laptop and you are done.
The best part and advantage of this headphone is it's plug 'n play
ability without sacrificing sound quality.
The dream of the minimalist audiophile.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #72 of 115
You are going to use the USB connection when you want better sound , because the USB connection is way superior sounding.

Slightly so, but yes. I'd rather connect my headphone to an amp, tho. First of all, as you noticed, the USB-connection is glitchy as hell. Second, not all USB connections are clean or free of ground-loops. Third, shelling out 200 bucks more for the wireless version and then hanging it to a cable is a little bit odd.

By the way: I don't want to spread negativity or bash the product. I sincerely believe that niche-manufacturers like Hifiman strife to make the best products they can and give their customers the best experience possible. But in order to do so, they are dependent on honest and constructive criticism, so they have a few sticking points to work on, in order to improve their next products. That's why I'm persistently pointing out the flaws and oddities that I discovered :)

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #73 of 115
Cable from cable is different!
For example i am now sitting in my sofa away from all my gear and i am using a Windows tablet
connected to the Ananda with a short cable streaming Qobuz.
My USB out is clean without any glitches except the max volume , which i hope it will be fixed.

Second scenario.
There is a guy out there starting this hobby now and he doesn't to mess with extra gear.
Buy the Ananda and you are done.

Anyway as i have pointed in my review the lack of analogue connection is a negative point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back