HIFIMAN ANANDA-BT Loaner Tour
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #76 of 115
I have noticed that my USB connection is very finicky with these headphones. I've had a Chord Qutest and various other DACs on this PC running Roon and not had any issues, but with the Ananda BT, I get a ton of clicks, pops, and pretty much made it unlistenable until I put an Ifi iGalvanic to greatly improve the USB connection and it got rid of all my problems. It was expensive, but the only thing that worked. I still listen on BT most of the time, due to the volume bug with the USB connection. I have lots of albums that just don't play loud enough over the USB connection and I don't want to use any kind of preamplification.

BTW - I am trying to get out of the headphone gear hobby and investing more in my speaker setup. I'm selling everything (see my sig) and I'm hoping to keep the Ananda BT as my only high end/minimal setup heapdhone - so it's definitely uniquely positioned in this market as a great all-in-one solution for beginners or those that don't want to invest in an overly complicated system with separate components. I just hope firmware updates are continuously released to address any remaining issues (mainly the lower volume over USB connection over DAC).

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #77 of 115
high end/minimal setup heapdhone - so it's definitely uniquely positioned in this market as a great all-in-one solution for beginners or those that don't want to invest in an overly complicated system with separate components

Can't agree more!
That is how this headphone should be viewed and not as a commute or traveller only headphone.

Now regarding the USB connection i am not experiencing any kind of noise except the low / irregular volume.
Please be sure to mail Hifiman if you haven't done it till now.

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #79 of 115
After reading both reviews from the other members participating at the loaner tour
i would like to comment if i may so that it is a bit unfair to view as negatives of that
headphone features that are commonly found at other wireless headphones like
noise cancellation , controls and other stuff like that.
Reading carefully the Hifiman advertising of Ananda BT it is very clear that it's target group
is not for travellers or commuters etc that need noise cancellation and other features.
It is very clear that this headphone is just a wireless - no cable edition - of the Ananda
for people that they seek for high end sound without cables , players etc.
As @.Sup stated at the end of his review (and wrote in mine review) it is just a convenience feature.
It's the Ananda wireless nothing more - nothing less.

Use example -
I am now listening with my Clears and i am out of drink.
I have to pause , take out the headphone and go fetch me
a drink and start again.
When i am using the Ananda BT i just step up ,
make my drink while listening , taste it and if i am
lazy i just sit at the kitchen while listening to music!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #80 of 115
I only did a comparison between the two when the price was mentioned to give a perspective on what you get for the price with each of the headphones. I agree that they are meant for different uses, the XM3 is a commuter/travel headphone while the Ananda is a travel/domestic use headphone. I don't expect Ananda to have noise-canceling and controls, that would make it heavier, less comfortable and battery life would suffer.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #81 of 115
The pair I have been listening to will be headed out to the next lucky participant tomorrow. Just got the mailing label from Hifiman for it so I'll pack it up tonight. Should have my review posted here later this week as well.

W

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #82 of 115
I have received the HiFiMAN Ananda BT.

_KE50025.jpg

First up, I don't want to be a douche, but I noticed a few preliminary things: There is no CE mark, no RoHs, no WEEE on the packaging. It is illegal to import an item in Europe if it does not have a certification of conformity. If this gets checked in customs, it would at least be confiscated and maybe even destroyed and the importer fined. I doubt this product uses dangerous chemicals or insecure batteries, but you never know. Furthermore, if you want to sell in Germany, you have to have a German booklet with safety instructions.
I would have expected that Hifiman wants to play with the big guys by now, but this leaves a very amateur feeling. They should better involve their local distributors before releasing a product.

_KE50028.jpg

I don't have sound impressions yet because I am very puzzled by the headband design. I have a rather thin head but usually no problems to fit most headphones. However, it is impossible for me to achieve a seal with the ear cups. The pressure isn't evenly distributed and the pads always lift up at the bottom. My wife, who is Asian and has a very different head shape than me, has exactly the same problem.
Maybe somebody can enlighten me if the Ananda BT uses the same headband design as the original Ananda? I did not have issues with past Hifiman headphones (like HE-500, HE-560).

_KE50026.jpg

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #84 of 115
I'm not 100% sure, but I think he received my test unit. The headband adjusting mechanism is so stiff on this one, that you have to exert a ridiculous amount of force to move the slider beyond the first notch. That comes from someone deadlifting over 200kg regularly, just saying...

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #86 of 115
I'm not 100% sure, but I think he received my test unit. The headband adjusting mechanism is so stiff on this one, that you have to exert a ridiculous amount of force to move the slider beyond the first notch. That comes from someone deadlifting over 200kg regularly, just saying...
Thank you, you were right! I thought I'd break the headphone while trying to extend the arms. Could indeed use some oil or something. Now it fits!

They sound pretty damn good via USB. Unfortunately I cannot connect them with my iPhone 11 Pro. Well, connect, yes, but not transmit audio. As if they were lacking the SBC codec. They can't be, right? I have tried disconnecting and re-connecting several times. They will link up but no audio transmission is possible. I don't find anything in the manual to force the headphones to switch the codec...

There is no CE mark, no RoHs, no WEEE on the packaging.
I have found all of these on the bottom side of the headphone, so my concerns were irrelevant.

_KE50031.jpg

_KE50035.jpg

_KE50047.jpg

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #87 of 115
Audio transmission worked only after several attempts for me. Try removing the headphone from your list of connected devices on your phone and then retry the pairing process. Resetting the headphone could also be an option if that doesn't work.

The Ananda BT's connectivity (both BT and USB) is reminiscent of some 20$ Aliexpress device. They should have included an analogue connection.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #89 of 115
The Ananda BT's connectivity (both BT and USB) is reminiscent of some 20$ Aliexpress device. They should have included an analogue connection.

Bluetooth connection for me with Android phone was smooth , fast and without a single drop out.
Automatic codec was LDAC.

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #90 of 115
It took me about 30 minutes to figure it out that Bluetooth connection issues were due to low battery so I heard this headphone with the supplied cable first.
They sound pretty damn good via USB. Unfortunately I cannot connect them with my iPhone 11 Pro. Well, connect, yes, but not transmit audio. As if they were lacking the SBC codec. They can't be, right? I have tried disconnecting and re-connecting several times. They will link up but no audio transmission is possible. I don't find anything in the manual to force the headphones to switch the codec...
See if you have the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back