Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Dec 29, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #182 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrahmaBull9813 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is the chip in it only $38?

PCM1704U

Well, most other chips in the is category of device are around $5 to $10.

This is the heart of the device, but by no means the end of the story - it must be put together with parts worthy of its quality and value. The design and labour on each build is also expensive.

Mass production brings the overall cost of devices down, but the HiFiMan is not mass produced - its a business risk, if it were mass produced, there would be more demand for it, but is it enough to sell them all ?

Unfortunately, there is a prestige value to high quality audio that means they make more money by keeping the numbers lower rather than taking the risk to make more at a better price simply because the public likes to purchase high end audio products that are not generic. Unfortunate, because its all of us who lose out when we can't trust the generic product to be high end.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #184 of 552
that is by no means cheap for a dac chip and remember there are probably 2 of them (not 100% on that) regardless there are home dacs worth many thousands of dollars that are based on chips worth only a few dollars. R&D high quality caps, resistors, BATTERY software development and ongoing support, high quality opamps and buffers etc etc etc

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #185 of 552
It seems the price of $37 is retail price, the whole sale price will be much cheaper than the retail price. it is a common sense. if you want to buy batch of it, you can send them emails for price negotiation with this button:

更多:
获取报价

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #186 of 552
It is very funny to discuss the price of the components. the expensive component applying is not means the sound quality is decent. The key is how to make use of the potential of a part.

So, Please price the player with the standard of music representation, than not the price of the components.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #187 of 552
^^ exactly

can the HM801 be bought without an amp module installed at all? I would be interested in this case as I already have enough amps and have tuned them to my liking. I have the beginnings of a one off personal portable balanced dac in the works (absolutely not for sale) and its a long way off yet, but I would be interested in something that can beat my modded D10 in the meantime

and my main portables are JH13, so it sounds like the included amp is not at all suitable

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #188 of 552
Quote:

I said that I didn't intend to stimulate the rushing of any review. I rather asked for an overview which gives people a tour of the player, but doesn't enforce as much opinion.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but a start: How to use HiFiMan

Quote:

I'm also a New Yorker

Ah ha!

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #189 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ exactly

can the HM801 be bought without an amp module installed at all? I would be interested in this case as I already have enough amps and have tuned them to my liking. I have the beginnings of a one off personal portable balanced dac in the works (absolutely not for sale) and its a long way off yet, but I would be interested in something that can beat my modded D10 in the meantime

and my main portables are JH13, so it sounds like the included amp is not at all suitable

If so, You don't need HIfiman, for there are many portable DACs which are much cheaper the HIFIMAN.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #190 of 552
I suppose you have already looked at my sig? I already have the top portable dac (with optical) (subjective opinion alert) and I have fully modded it, but the dac unit in the hifiman is slightly superior to the wolfston in the D10. you dont really presume to know what I want do you??

i have plans for my own self indulgent and totally impractical portable dac project using 2 x PCM1794A, but that is a way off yet. no plans for a product and who knows if I can even pull it off as I dont have half the knowledge of Fang; a man can dream. I do have 90% of parts sorted, I ideally want portable dac with balanced output, but that is a way off yet. i'm always on the lookout for an improvement in my rig and it would seem from what I know of the tech used and from the opinions from people I have come to know the HM801 would appear a prudent choice

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #191 of 552
Would any owners of the Hifiman 801 had a sd card issue, i have copied the mp3's from the itunes folder to the sd card. However when i use the hifiman, when i enter the album it wont be able to show anything.
Would anyone have had this problem?

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #192 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by cenamini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would any owners of the Hifiman 801 had a sd card issue, i have copied the mp3's from the itunes folder to the sd card. However when i use the hifiman, when i enter the album it wont be able to show anything.
Would anyone have had this problem?

Hi,

you might want to read this thread : HifiMan HM-801 SDHC Card List

I'm not sure of what your problem is, but if you are using a class6 SDHC card, then for sure it won't work.

Maybe you could post your problem in this thread too : HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread and give a little more details.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #193 of 552
Maybe with all of the 801s arriving in their new owner's hands, it is time to revive this thread. I posted the following first impressions over on the preorder thread:

My 801 arrived. I charged it a bit (although it seems the battery was already pretty full) and am now enjoying it through my um3x with um56 tips. I find the usable volume range fine for these IEMs and there is some hiss at full volume, but nothing at normal or even loud listening levels. I finally found out that it does not play WMA lossless files so I will have to convert everything to FLAC.

Overall the sound is wonderful. It seems to have good synergy with the um3x and brings them alive. Incredible detail and presence to the music, and the sound is detailed enough that I can definitely hear a slight difference between high bitrate files (ogg level 10) and lossless (FLAC).

I also tried it with my MD5000s and it can also keep up with those phones which are incredible microscopes into the music. With the Denons I found I liked it better using the line out through my Predator amp which warms up the sound. With the UM3x there is a nice synergy with the onboard amp of the 801 and I do not need an outboard amp.

These are all initial impressions. The sound is especially amazing considering it has not broken in at all. I wanted something simpler than my previous laptop computer based rig that would give me equal sound quality, and this is definitely filling the bill.

And I would add that I also have tried it now with my wife's REOs and they sound great. There is definitely a synergy in these products by Head-Direct. In fact I liked the sound of the REOs with the 801 so much, that I just sold my UM3X on here and am going to order another pair of REOs. The 801 brings out so much inner detail and to my ears, the UM3X still seemed a little veiled compared to the REOs. And the REOs have great treble that never seems to get too bright or shrill. The 801 seems to fill in the bass on these IEMs also which is where they can be a little shy, but not with the 801.

Another thing the 801 seems to excel at is keeping everything clear and organized in very complex multi-layered music. I am loving the instrument separation which is beyond anything I have heard.

I was breaking it in overnight with a track from the Iso Tek CD, and now I find the onboard amp is plenty even with the Denons. So my Predator is up for sale also. I love the way this thing is simplifying my life. Just one box that does it all!

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #194 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirmalanow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was breaking it in overnight with a track from the Iso Tek CD, and now I find the onboard amp is plenty even with the Denons. So my Predator is up for sale also. I love the way this thing is simplifying my life. Just one box that does it all!

funny that my 801 now seats on my desk as desktop DAC 95% of the time ~ it became my laptop soundcard now
atsmile.gif

but yeah, glad i only spent few $$ before 801, i will keep my coolest tin can Cmoy Amp.

like you said, 801 simplifies my life and i like to stay it that way~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back