HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Jan 14, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #1,036 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:
So it is with a wink and a smile that I say that, in response to those that say one is not needed for this Dap because it is like an elevator. Try fix an elevator when it mal-functions, without a manual!!!

Whoa!
Needing to know how to get to the 3rd floor and actually repairing the elevator are 2 entirely different things. We weren't talking about tweaking the power supply on the 602, we were talking about the functionality of it.
Manuals cost money to create, print and distribute. It would definitely add to the final cost of a product that has 1/20th the functionality of most newer digital cameras. I wouldn't dream of using a new camera without reading the manual.

I know what you mean with additional cost with the manual immtbiker but making it as a PDF file and putting it on the internet wouldn't costs much just an hour or two of time from someone at Head direct.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,037 of 1,195
Quote:
Actually I was and actually My 602 stopped working and began to buzz without music coming out. A reset did not work nor did whatever I was shown to try.  Is that like going to the third floor or repairing the elevator? anyone else care to chime in?

Sorry Richard, I shouldn't have minimized your frustration in this situation. I can empathize with you, and as always, we are members first and Moderators second. If I did minimize your concerns, then I was definitely wrong (I don't care that saying you're sorry is a sign of weakness). I am in a similar situation with Meitner Emm Labs, trying to get my CDSD fixed. The thing cost $11,000 (didn't pay that), but because I am past my warranty situation, they want me to send a 50lb. box to Canada, at my expense, pay $250 for a power supply that they have a known problem with, and also pay for return shipping. Piece of cake, huh?
It sounds like you need to contact "OTIS" or "ThyssenKrupprather" than have the ability to do anything on your own.

There was a manual that is going out with future shipments, that was available at CES as a selling point. It's not official yet, and I hope I'm not stirring up any trouble, but here's what was floating around. This won't help your particular problem, but it shows that manuals are being written, but products are not being held back due to printers and other must be associated issues when it comes to writing and including manuals with products. No company should have to hold a product on their shelves because printers are fun people to negotiate with, when most things are about the unit is intuitive. You sound like you have a hardware problem that no manual will fix. Hope this helps others:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________:

[size=16.0pt]We are pleased to announce to you our brand new HM-602 Digital Audio Player. [/size]

[size=16.0pt]Our engineers and designers have worked long and hard on our newest player, the HM-602, which is the first portable player that uses the non-oversampling [/size]
[size=16.0pt]DAC: the Philips TDA-1543. As the younger brother of our first of it's kind, state of the art Digital Audio Player, the HM-801, our highly [/size]
[size=16.0pt]regarded HM-602 shares our HM-801's great sound signature. To make it as portable as possible, the HM-602 does not include a removable amplifier modular design. However, the headphone amp circuitry is very similar to HM-801's standard module. To drive both high impedance [/size]
[size=16.0pt]and low impedance headphones, HM-602 contains a new High/Low Gain switch which we designed to be able to drive both high efficiency IEM's and most full size headphones, so the need for two different amps is no longer necessary. In addition, HM-602, like it's predecessor the HM-801 also can work as an external USB DAC and amplifier for your components with USB output, such as home computers and laptops.[/size]
[size=16.0pt]________________________________________________________________________[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Peripherals include:[/size]

[size=16.0pt]32 GB SDHC Class 4 Card Socket (SD Card not included)[/size]
[size=16.0pt]1/8" Line Out Port[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Headphone Out Port[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Volume Control[/size]
[size=16.0pt]DATA Exchange for Computer Music via Drag and Drop Process[/size]
[size=16.0pt]USB DAC that allow you to use the internal DAC and bypass the one on another music source[/size]
[size=16.0pt]5V 1A Charger Socket[/size]
[size=16.0pt]2" User Interface Screen (measured diagonally)[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Power Switch[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Hold Button[/size]
[size=16.0pt]DAP/USB DAC[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Reset Button[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Manual Controller[/size]

[size=16.0pt]___________________________________________________________________________[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Specifications:[/size]

[size=16.0pt]D/A Chip: TDA1543
LPF Op-amp: OP275, OPA2604
Headphone Amplifier Op-amp: OPA2107
Freqency Response: 20-20kHz
Distortion: 0.09%
S/N: 92dB
Stereo crosstalk[/size][size=16.0pt]:[/size][size=16.0pt]74dB (Lineout)
Headphone Amplifier: Output level: 1.1v at 32Ω; 2.2v at 150Ω
Max Output: 30mw at 32Ω; 26mw at 150Ω,
Size: 62mm X 103mm X 26.5mm or 2.4" X 4.05" X  1.04"
Weight: Approx. 200g / 7oz.
On board internal Flash memory: 16GB
Battery time: approx. 10 Hours, I/O: Headphone Output, Line Output, USB Data Exchange, USB DAC Input, SD card slot (up to 32GB)[/size]

[size=16.0pt]__________________________________________________________________________________[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Control Panel Button assignments:[/size]

[size=16.0pt]◄[/size][size=16.0pt]: Back to main menu[/size]
[size=16.0pt]►[/size][size=16.0pt]: Go to next menu[/size]

[size=16.0pt]▲[/size][size=16.0pt]: Select upper option[/size]
[size=16.0pt]▼[/size][size=16.0pt]: Select lower option[/size]

[size=16.0pt]In playing page:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]◄[/size][size=16.0pt]: Back to last menu[/size]
[size=16.0pt]►[/size][size=16.0pt]: Select playing song as favorite[/size]
[size=16.0pt]▲[/size][size=16.0pt]: Play previous song[/size]
[size=16.0pt]▼[/size][size=16.0pt]: Play next song[/size]

[size=16.0pt]_____________________________________________________________________________________[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Power On: Push “Power” key to the right for 3 sec. After releasing Power key for another 2 to 3 sec, player will power up.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Loading Music:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]The player will automatically turn on after connecting USB cable to DATA exchange port at the bottom of the player. The computer [/size]
[size=16.0pt]will automatically detect the player as a USB drive. Load music files to the USB drive via drag and drop method.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Choosing Language:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]On Main Menu, select “Setting”, then go to “Language” menu.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Playing Music:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]On Main Menu, select “SD card”, “Flash On Board”, "Album" or "Artists" to find the music that you wish to play. In Playing Menu, "Center Manual Key" is Pause or Play, “Up” and “Down” buttons function as  Previous and Next. Pushing “Up” or “Down” buttons for longer than 2 seconds makes the buttons now function as Fast Forward and Fast Rewind.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Fast Searching Music:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Push central manual key for three sec, the player will automatically search through music files in alphabetical order.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]______________________________________________________________________________________ [/size]

[size=16.0pt]USB DAC Instructions:[/size]

[size=16.0pt]1. Swich DAP-USB switch to right.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]2. Computer will automatically detect HM-602 player after connecting HM-602 to computer from USB DAC port.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]3. USB DAC logo was shown on screen.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]4. “USB DAC” or “USB pnp Sound Device” will be found in computer system control panel.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]________________________________________________________________________________________[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Set up Recommendation:[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Update Media File:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]After changing SD card or adding new music (including internally on internal Flash Ram), please select “Update Media File” to refresh media database.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]To enable  “Flash On Board” on the Main Menu page[/size]
[size=16.0pt]In “Setting” > “Main Menu Set”, select “Flash On Board” and change its status to “On” to have it show on Main Menu Page.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Turn off EQ setting and User EQ[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Set the EQ setting as “Normal”.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Auto power off:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]If the player does not playing any music, it will be automatically turned off in a pre-determined number of minutes. Auto power off time range was set as 3 min for default. Options allow up until 60 minutes.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]LCD timer:[/size]
[size=16.0pt]You have the option to leave it on up until 60 seconds. We recommend setting the LCD timer to either 10 to 20 seconds to save battery power[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Accessories (included in box):[/size]
[size=16.0pt]USB cable[/size]
[size=16.0pt]5V 1A Power Charger[/size]

[size=16.0pt]_____________________________________________________________________________________________[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Thank you for your purchase. We are proud about the products that we design and manufacture in our own factory. Please check out our website frequently for constant new designs and updates. We truly appreciate your business. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.[/size]

[size=16.0pt]-Head-Direct-[/size]
[size=16.0pt]HiFiMAN Products[/size]

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,038 of 1,195
Fantastic, thank you for this immtbiker. Some things such as playing from where I have finished earlier or all supported SD cards still aren't explained but if this is still in the making then no biggie, I'll wait. Shame they didn't release the manual when the player was released, would save many some trouble. It seems lots of companies are rushing with the products for some reason. Lots of things were included in the box but the manual which I'm not used to.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,040 of 1,195
I GOT IT !!!

Fast forward and Reverse on the HM-602:
Simply press and hold down the next or previous button and the cursor will move forward or backward in the track you are in.
Music won't play, but it does get you to the point you want ...

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #1,041 of 1,195
I really enjoy the HM602 and RE 262 combo. I don't like this player with any of my headphones but with RE262 it really sounds something special. I think at Head direct they tuned the sound of the player to have extra good synergy with the RE262. The sound is so very analogue sounding, all other DACs are very digital sounding compared to it, its really hard to get an analog sounding DAC nowadays, especially a portable one. I like it a lot.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,043 of 1,195

Quote:
I really enjoy the HM602 and RE 262 combo. I don't like this player with any of my headphones but with RE262 it really sounds something special. I think at Head direct they tuned the sound of the player to have extra good synergy with the RE262. The sound is so very analogue sounding, all other DACs are very digital sounding compared to it, its really hard to get an analog sounding DAC nowadays, especially a portable one. I like it a lot.

Before mine began to Buzzzzzzzz. I loved its sound with the JH13, it is the first time I heard the JH13 and loved the sound. I did not like how the HD 800 Senheiser sounds on the midrange and highs, there is not enough power to excite it the way the Meier Audio Desk top head amp/DAC Corda Symphony 2 makes it sound, just magical!!!!.

But the 602 does have plenty of power to excite the JH13 at low volumes. I was really enjoying the 602 just before the buzzzzzzzzzzz began.

I PMed Fang Nankai aka Fang as was told to do by Hero Kid. And detailed my problem once more there, and asked him how to RMA the player for repair of the Buzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #1,045 of 1,195
Hey Kona! I have the HM-601 and I had a buzzing sound with the EQ on. Once, I turned it off completely, I don't have a buzzing sound any more and it sounds terrific. You might want to check if your EQ is on... if it is, try turning it off. It might just work for you, like it did for me.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,046 of 1,195
I just read in Fang's Sponsored forum that the 2G chips are no longer available. so they chose to replace them with 8G chips. While 2G owners might feel slighted, it appears that it was done out of necessity rather than "improvement".
I had deleted a thread that simply stated that Head-Direct was a corrupt company (I assume for doing this), including associated to responses. First of all, the post was slanderous, which we do no tolerate here on Head-Fi, but also the chip change was done out of need rather than malice. It's just one of those things that a person just has to accept. Of course, the members who received 8GB units are more fortunate, But sometimes, we have to look at both sides of the picture. 
I, myself, have a 2GB version and do not feel slighted, 34 GB of memory is plenty for me to walk around with. We must keep in mind that this unit was devised for those who couldn't afford, or didn't want to spend $400+ on a DAP so another option was offered which removed the external DAC capabilities. It seems that Fang tries to make each of his products so that anyone in any price group can still enjoy his products. 
Other DAP/Amp manufacturers only give you one choice, one model, one price range. Take that into consideration when calling a hard working company an corrupt one. There's 2 sides to every story.
If they were corrupt, they would have their sponsorship taken away and would no longer be allowed to sell on Head-Fi. Sponsorship money is not a motivator to us. We don't see a penny. It is all volunteer work.

We do our best to protect our members. That is one of the biggest responsibilities a MOD or Admin has. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,047 of 1,195

Quote:
Hey Kona! I have the HM-601 and I had a buzzing sound with the EQ on. Once, I turned it off completely, I don't have a buzzing sound any more and it sounds terrific. You might want to check if your EQ is on... if it is, try turning it off. It might just work for you, like it did for me.

I never touched the EG. However how do you disable it> would the reset button have done it? I did a reset.

What disturbs me is that I PMed Fong and he promptly responded and gave me an e-mail address to write to, for taking care of the problem, and apologized for my having the problem. Now a Ms T is asking me for some proof of when I purchased it to see if the warantee is still in effect.  How long is the warantee for? I just had it delivered not too long ago...

I asked her that and my dismay.

Most of the time was spent in waiting for it after the order was placed. are they starting the time from day of purchase or day of delivery? She asked for date of purchase and where I purchased it.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,048 of 1,195
Quote:

I never touched the EG. However how do you disable it> would the reset button have done it? I did a reset.

What disturbs me is that I PMed Fong and he promptly responded and gave me an e-mail address to write to, for taking care of the problem, and apologized for my having the problem. Now a Ms T is asking me for some proof of when I purchased it to see if the warantee is still in effect.  How long is the warantee for? I just had it delivered not too long ago...

Most of the time was spent in waiting for it after the order was placed. are they starting the time from day of purchase or day of delivery? She asked for date of purchase and where I purchased it.

Tell them the day of purchase, or mail your PayPal confirmation, then they can find what they need. In their system they can see when the package was delivered.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,049 of 1,195

1. immtbiker
  2. badge_administrator.v1294777314.png
  3. The first to organize an International Head-Fi Meet

If they were corrupt, they would have their sponsorship taken away and would no longer be allowed to sell on Head-Fi. Sponsorship money is not a motivator to us. We don't see a penny. It is all volunteer work.

Well I hope not!! but being asked when I porchased it not when it was delivered, is a bit scary when I am trying to get this buzzzzzzzz fixed.

"Hello Kona,

Please forward us your online receipt, either a copy of your PayPal, Google, Ebay or Amazon transaction page, for our reference, to verify if your product is covered under our warranty.

Kindest regards,
Ms. T."

Now I cannot recall how I ordered it I think It was in this thread or another where an address was posted and I preordered it there, anyone recall what that address was for preordering?

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #1,050 of 1,195

Quote:

Quote:

Tell them the day of purchase, or mail your PayPal confirmation, then they can find what they need. In their system they can see when the package was delivered.

That information is in my former hard drive I used to boot with, the e-mail may be in there, wow I have thunderbird and would need to exchange had drives and boot in XP not win 7 to see if I can find the e-mails... I may have a bank statement when they withdrew the money from my account would have to look for that too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back