HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 21, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #528 of 1,195
Well, I think I'll be cancelling my preorder. By the look of the impressions coming in I don't think the upgrade justifies the price and usability/portability issues. Not sure I can be arsed with the whole returning it in the post business either. Jumping the gun? Maybe..

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #529 of 1,195
What's your current DAP?
Are the free RE-262s of any value to you?
Will you use the LO and/or DAC function?

In my opinion it is one of the best value DAP packages out there, and it doesn't cost the whole world either.
It just depends what you value, are willing to pay for and are happy to live with.

Personally I'd suggest that since you've already outlaid the money - why not wait and make up your own mind?
There's always the FS section not to mention the 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't find out now, you'll probably always wonder.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #530 of 1,195
Quote:
Hero Kid said:

In my opinion it is one of the best value DAP packages out there, and it doesn't cost the whole world either.
It just depends what you value, are willing to pay for and are happy to live with.

I've got to agree here, i need a better DAP then my shuffle but i need a dac/amp also as i currently have a loaned one. This seems like the best answer in one package. On the flip side if i already had something decent then maybe i wouldn't be looking at this, but i do think it represents good value.

Quote:
Jimmythemook said:
I don't think the upgrade justifies the price and usability/portability issues.

Edit: Thanks for  the impression HpA.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #531 of 1,195

Quote:
What's your current DAP?
Are the free RE-262s of any value to you?
Will you use the LO and/or DAC function?

Personally I'd suggest that since you've already outlaid the money - why not wait and make up your own mind?
There's always the FS section not to mention the 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't find out now, you'll probably always wonder.

Currently alternating between sony x1060 and iphone 3gs with sennheiser IE8's. I'm thinking instead it would be better value just getting a little amp and LO lead to upgrade the sound on the 3gs and keeping the nice UI.
I was very excited about this and yes, I know I can return it, but I know what I'm like. I'll get it and spend ages convincing myself the little bit better sound was worth it and end up keeping it, only to replace it with a more convenient solution somewhere down the line :0)
No the free headphones are not of any value to me.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #533 of 1,195
Great review, HeadphoneAddict! That contained every helpful comparison I can think of. I'll have my HM-602 in a few days. It doesn't have to be the "end all, be all" DAP in my book for it to be a success. If I can just carry ONE device, no external amp, no stupid rubber bands, LOL, I'll be happy. And it looks like I'll be able to do that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #534 of 1,195
I don't know, for that kind of cash with it's chunky size and basic UI, it ought to be a significant leap in quality. I appreciate the idea though, a bespoke audiophile DAP is something I've been looking to find for a long time.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #535 of 1,195
I don't know what your currently using, but for me it's significantly cheaper than an iPod Touch-->LOD-->Pico Slim, which is my current portable rig. It also seems more versatile in some respects, with the high gain switch and all. Who knows? Let's be honest: Variety is the spice of life! No?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #536 of 1,195

Quote:
I don't know what your currently using, but for me it's significantly cheaper than an iPod Touch-->LOD-->Pico Slim, which is my current portable rig. It also seems more versatile in some respects, with the high gain switch and all. Who knows? Let's be honest: Variety is the spice of life! No?
smily_headphones1.gif

But if you already have that rig, which sounds like a great setup, why change to something comparably sized but with a primitive  UI?

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #537 of 1,195
With this deal your pretty much getting a 200 dollar DAP that has an excellent amp(does not need to have additional amp and lod) and DAC that 16/96 plus 200 dollar headphones. I do not see how passing this offer will save money and the alternative would not be that much greater in quality as the reviews state. I say keep it and try it out.I am still waiting for mine i hope they come soon. Speaking of headphones are the re262 going to cost $199 or cost more independently.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #539 of 1,195
I'm in the same boat as Jimmythemook, as I placed an order for the HM-602 hoping that it would be  a super nice portable DAC coming with a pair of 262 IEMs. 
As i like treble more than anything else I was hoping that the 262 shared the same sound sig. as its' brother 252, but it turns out (based on others impressions only!!) to have a very different sound sig. with somewhat recessed treble and the HM-602 sounds better as a DAP than when using it as a DAC (I really do not know how that is possible, but that's peoples impression so far).

Since I don't see myself using the HM-602 as a portable player on the go, (I rather keep it very simple not bulky, like iPhone -> IEM) and mostly need the DAC function to pair it with my laptop while traveling around the world, I am thinking of canceling my order.

So putting it in simple way my priority is like this:
1st, a high quality portable DAC to use with my macbook.
2nd, new IEMs are always nice (but in the $200-300 range I could find IEMs i would prefer to try over 262, also since the sound sig. isn't what i hoped for)
3rd new portable player (i'm pretty sure I would use my iPhone over this due to UI, userfriendlyness/iTunes and not having to carry around 2 devices)

What do you guys think, should i cancel my order and find a different DAC?

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #540 of 1,195

Quote:
With this deal your pretty much getting a 200 dollar DAP that has an excellent amp(does not need to have additional amp and lod) and DAC that 16/96 plus 200 dollar headphones. I do not see how passing this offer will save money and the alternative would not be that much greater in quality as the reviews state. I say keep it and try it out.I am still waiting for mine i hope they come soon. Speaking of headphones are the re262 going to cost $199 or cost more independently.

The reports are the 262 will go from $199-$249.  Nothing concrete yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back