HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #541 of 1,195
While I have not evaluated the 602 to the extent that Larry has, I do agree with his findings, and consider the 602 to be a really fine "all-arounder".   It sounds excellent with my PK1's and makes for an easy carry in a small, cheap Targus camera case. 

I do find that the DAC sounds very good as a "stand-alone" DAC.

My only real "con" is that battery life is only about 9 hours and the player gets quite warm during operation, which would give me concern if I were using it in a tight-fitting case.

Overall considering fit and finish, versatility, sound quality and price, I certainly consider it to be worthy of one's consideration when shopping for a quality DAP!

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #544 of 1,195
A guy in India is selling them before Head-Direct is?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #548 of 1,195

But if you already have that rig, which sounds like a great setup, why change to something comparably sized but with a primitive  UI?

That's all true. I would say it's a very good setup, not great. The weakest link is the Touch for sure. I can't say enough about the Slim, though, but that's another thread I guess. Mainly, I want one device and if it's an improvement in sound quality, all the better. I have a limit to what I'll endure, though, for a so called "portable" rig. An iPod touch and Slim is hardly extreme, especially around these parts...lol. Don't get me wrong about the iPod touch...it's not an enviable music device, but it does everything else, so it will probably stick around for awhile. Not to mention, I'm completely addicted to Slacker and Di.fm

Ok, so my shiny new 602 greeted me when I got home this evening, and although I've spent all of 10 minutes with it, I'll write some initial impressions. First, it's bigger than it looks in photos, and I've probably looked at them all on various sites. It's a chunk. That's not a complete negative though, as this is coming from a guy who immediately put a protector case on his iPod touch because it was too thin
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also like the retro look. The build doesn't instill the most confidence in the world; it's really plasticky and there is some play in the main buttons. I'm a fairly careful individual though, so I'm not really worried about this. Speaking of UI: Ok, so some will certainly want more, especially those who have been living in the Apple universe for any period of time. My first DAP, years ago, was a Creative something or other (Zen? I could probably track it down if I had to.) and the UI was really, really, REALLY basic. Um, even it was better than the 602. Enough on that. Oh yeah, does this thing not come with a manual?!?!? It's mildly humorous figuring out the buttons for the first time...I won't ruin it for anyone.

Alright, now what really matters: the SOUND!!!

I won't give specifics, that would seem premature. I haven't loaded any of my own music, just listened to what was already loaded. The guy I bought it from has some nice 24bit classical, and some acoustical stuff as well. There is a lot of background noise with my se530's on low gain, obviously. I don't think I own a 1/4"-->1/8" adapter so I haven't tried any full size 'phones, but I'm dying to. A pair of PK1's I picked up yesterday should be arriving next week sometime, so I'll be eager to try those out. If I could sum up the sound in one word: Authoritative. What do I mean by that? Go dig up that Discman that everyone has somewhere in the garage packed up, or wherever, and put on your favorite cd. There is an attack and often bass response that's different than what you get out of an iPod. Even amped, for that matter. There is a fullness, I don't often get with my IEMs probably because of the sensitivity not allowing for higher volumes, that is apparent from the 602. It's not perfect, but it's something I've always enjoyed. The background noise isn't even a deal breaker for me....kinda analogue-y. There it is, the 602: A portable freakin Discman. Cool!

There are my initial impressions. I'll post later if anyone cares, but this is an intriguing little player!

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #552 of 1,195
If simple and structured are the name of the game, the 602 rules them all! Of course I haven't seen them all but it's certainly built for utility. The more time I spend with the UI, the more I'm getting used to it. It's fine actually. You have to ask yourself what you want out of the thing? I don't need it to be a computer, I need the best portable sound possible. Is it the best? That's purely subjective, however it sounds pretty frickin good! Eric Clapton unplugged....YOWZA!

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #553 of 1,195

Quote:
If simple and structured are the name of the game, the 602 rules them all! Of course I haven't seen them all but it's certainly built for utility. The more time I spend with the UI, the more I'm getting used to it. It's fine actually. You have to ask yourself what you want out of the thing? I don't need it to be a computer, I need the best portable sound possible. Is it the best? That's purely subjective, however it sounds pretty frickin good! Eric Clapton unplugged....YOWZA!

Wait till your new toy arrives.  
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #554 of 1,195
I guess it's really those "slightly better" comments of HeadphoneAddict that may set off the crowd
confused_face_2.gif
 But let's be honest, we're not looking at portable DAP and $7K home headphone system type of run-up. I always stayed away from reviews that go through "night and day" type of comparisons in terms of sound quality. What is sound quality anyway?... And why bother comparing if it's "night and day"?
It's quite subjective, depends on what setup you're upgrading from, what other components in use and what music you're listening to. Don't be tricked into believing you're gonna hear angel voices by paying 29,5% more. And by paying anything, for that matter...
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #555 of 1,195

Quote:
I guess it's really those "slightly better" comments of HeadphoneAddict that may set off the crowd
confused_face_2.gif
 But let's be honest, we're not looking at portable DAP and $7K home headphone system type of run-up. I always stayed away from reviews that go through "night and day" type of comparisons in terms of sound quality. What is sound quality anyway?... And why bother comparing if it's "night and day"?
It's quite subjective, depends on what setup you're upgrading from, what other components in use and what music you're listening to. Don't be tricked into believing you're gonna hear angel voices by paying 29,5% more. And by paying anything, for that matter...
wink_face.gif

I'd agree it's unrealistic to expect night and day types of vast improvement. It really comes down to what an end user considers value for money in terms of the sound quality and the usability and convenience of the device. 
For me it's about justifying the purchase of a replacement setup for a marginal improvement in the above variables. If this was the first audiophile device I was thinking of aquiring then the small percentage improvement wouldn't be a factor.
I appreciate the hobbyist nature of all this though and it's great getting new toys, that's for sure :0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back