HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 11, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #437 of 1,195
Hero Kid

Now that you got your 602, will you be putting up some impressions/a review soon?

I've only seen a couple
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #438 of 1,195
I have my last school exams (that count for 50% of my marks) starting on Friday and going for ~3 weeks.
So at this stage, no plans to write anything about my HM-602 or the RE262s.

I haven't even had the time to put music on it yet, or compare it to anything. To be honest I probably haven't even clocked an hour on it.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #439 of 1,195

Quote:
I have my last school exams (that count for 50% of my marks) starting on Friday and going for ~3 weeks.
So at this stage, no plans to write anything about my HM-602 or the RE262s.

I haven't even had the time to put music on it yet, or compare it to anything. To be honest I probably haven't even clocked an hour on it.

Good luck on the exams!

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #440 of 1,195
Oct 12, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #441 of 1,195
Somewhere in disk properties. Sorry, I can not be more specific. I have russian version of Windows, so my exact menus/submenus path is useless for you.

Quote:
I know it's hardly an improvement but I actually get 4-4.5mb/s not 2.

How do I turn the disc cache on?

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #443 of 1,195
does anyone know if gapless feature will become available in the near future/later editions ?

or should we just wait for model no 3 ?

the lack of gapless is a complete deal-breaker to me....

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #444 of 1,195

Quote:
It's pretty terrible. For me it was around 2mb/s 4-4.5 mb/s.

How can you tell what your transfer speed is? Or is it just an estimate based upon file size and total time it takes to download?

On another note, I am very happy with the newer model of the 602. My first one was very lethargic in the bass department, and anemic in the treble.
The changes in the second batch are very substantial. With my JH-13's and my ESW-10's it has become my "go to" player on the run. It's not quite
up there in the 801 category, but it gives my iMod/amp-of-choice a run for it's money, and obviously is a lot easier to carry on planes, trains, automobiles,
and hotel rooms. The battery life is better than the 801 and about the same as my iMod.
The deciding factor that really makes it shine over the iMod setup, is the ability to play 24/96 flac which to me is a noticeable improvement to my alac
files. One listen to Alison Krauss/Robert Plant's "Raising Sand" and it sells itself.
I'm still having the problem with Artists and Albums menu options, and have to use SD Card and Internal to find my music.

Has anyone conquered this problem? Maybe it's the way I'm laying down the music. I have the same problem on the 801, so maybe it's the transfer to the Kingston.

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #445 of 1,195

Quote:
How can you tell what your transfer speed is? Or is it just an estimate based upon file size and total time it takes to download?  

Since Vista even Windows displays the transfer speeds. Other OSs have been doing that long long time ago.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #446 of 1,195
Yes when copying or moving and the copy window pops up just click "more" and there you will see speed. I also can't find all songs unless I go to "flash on board".

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #448 of 1,195
Interesting comments on the HM-602s DAC function.
wink.gif

Also his comments on preferring the sound signature of the the HM-602 over the HM-801.

Quote:
From a practical standpoint, I don’t think it gets any better than the HM-602. The thing is lighter than my Ipod Classic, and yet it gives an outstanding sound quality with a signature that’s even more likeable than the bigger brother.

For the price, this DAP seems to be nothing short of amazing.

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #449 of 1,195
Ok well I was sitting down doing some maths study, listening to some new music (that I just acquired) through my HM-602 when I thought to myself, what's this baby look like inside?
After a minute rummaging through a draw I found a screw driver small enough and set to work. Easy to take the back off, just four little screws.

First thing I noticed was the back is in fact metal, not plastic! That surprised me given how light (and plasticy?) it feels.

By this stage I was well and truly distracted so I figured why not get my crappy camera out. Here's the result.

Here's one of it in my hand - sorta gives you an idea of the size.

Lastly the HM-602 and RE262.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back