HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
May 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,171 of 1,195

Quote:
It doesn't play 88.2 kHz files. You will have to downsample the files to 44.1, as I have understood this.
My HM-801 will play 96 kHz without issues, but simply skips 88.2 kHz files.
Anyway - for me it isn't the ability to play 24bit files, but the sound quality when playing standard cd (flac) files.
The hi res capability (24 bit/96kHz) is just a little bonus.

Right, agree completely.  However, some people have claimed to be able to play their 88.2 w/ no problems.  This I don't get.  If this is true I'd like to know what's different about my HDTrack 88.2 versus their HDTrack 88.2.  Otherwise someone made misleading statements.

May 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,172 of 1,195
Quote:
Right, agree completely.  However, some people have claimed to be able to play their 88.2 w/ no problems.  This I don't get.  If this is true I'd like to know what's different about my HDTrack 88.2 versus their HDTrack 88.2.  Otherwise someone made misleading statements.

They might be referring to the USB DAC function, not when playing the onboard files.
This is what I have read (haven't tried this for myself yet) - for some strange reason.

May 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,173 of 1,195

Quote:
They might be referring to the USB DAC function, not when playing the onboard files.
This is what I have read (haven't tried this for myself yet) - for some strange reason.

Perhaps.  It does work as the USB chip downsamples the 88.2 automatically as the Gentleman from Stereophile mentioned somewhere in the thread.  So if you use the 602 as a DAC there is no need to downsample the files yourself.  

May 18, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,174 of 1,195

Quote:
It doesn't play 88.2 kHz files. You will have to downsample the files to 44.1, as I have understood this.
My HM-801 will play 96 kHz without issues, but simply skips 88.2 kHz files.
Anyway - for me it isn't the ability to play 24bit files, but the sound quality when playing standard cd (flac) files.
The hi res capability (24 bit/96kHz) is just a little bonus.

Note that the HM602 can't play back 24-bit files correctly as the DAC chip is a 16-bit part. The HM602 truncates them to 16 bits. Also, it will only play back 96k FLAC files and freezes on uncompressed formats.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

May 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,175 of 1,195

Quote:

Note that the HM602 can't play back 24-bit files correctly as the DAC chip is a 16-bit part. The HM602 truncates them to 16 bits. Also, it will only play back 96k FLAC files and freezes on uncompressed formats.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

You are correct on the 24->16-bit downsampling, but my HM-602 plays 24/48 and 24/88.1 FLACs the same way as it does 24/96 material, without any issues.  I have not loaded any WAVs or other formats, only FLACs purchased from HDTracks or through my B&W Society of Sound membership (which are usually 24/48 sampled content lately).  I have not experienced any freezes yet.  Mine is a first-generation unit with the original firmware.  Perhaps your unit requires service.

May 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,176 of 1,195
Quote:
You are correct on the 24->16-bit downsampling, but my HM-602 plays 24/48 and 24/88.1 FLACs the same way as it does 24/96 material, without any issues.

Are you saying that your HM-602 plays 24/88.2 files as DAP - or is it as USB DAC?

I just got my replacement HM-602 yesterday. Brand new, no sizzeling or cracking sounds.
In short it plays 16/44.1 FLAC files eyewetting beautiful.
24/96 FLAC will play, but with quite a lot of noise / hiss.
How is your HM-602 (other owners are more than welcome to comment on this as well) performing in this respect?

May 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #1,177 of 1,195

Quote:
Are you saying that your HM-602 plays 24/88.2 files as DAP - or is it as USB DAC?

I just got my replacement HM-602 yesterday. Brand new, no sizzeling or cracking sounds.
In short it plays 16/44.1 FLAC files eyewetting beautiful.
24/96 FLAC will play, but with quite a lot of noise / hiss.
How is your HM-602 (other owners are more than welcome to comment on this as well) performing in this respect?

DAP only, I have yet to play with its external DAC functionality.  Generally try to avoid USB DACs anyway because of jitter issues.  I have not experienced any additional hiss/noise when playing back 24/92 or 24/48 FLACs on the 602 at all. Other than the obviously different sound signature vs. native HM-801 playback, the noise floor was the same level to my ears as 16/44 FLACs.

Mine was one of the first units that came off the assembly line as far as I know.  I have no idea what tweaks and enhancements subsequent batches may have received other than the new firmware, which I hadn't even bother to apply since the old one works without any issues.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,178 of 1,195

Quote:
I ordered my HM-602 (8GB) from K Street Audio (via Amazon) the other day. It should be here today. This is my first non-Apple DAP product. I've been reading these treads with interest, and my curiosity got the better of me. I also have a Decware Zen Head on order, I am really curious to see how they work together. I have a pair of AKG K702s that need breaking in, and some other headphones that haven't been used in ages. Actually, it has been ages since I've had time to really listen to anything... I've found I stopped listening to music on my iPhone, computer, etc ages ago, I think because I was getting sick of the lousy sound quality without really realizing it.

I wonder what firmware version it shipped with?

As fate my have it I am, at this moment, liistening to the HM-602 through the Zen Head. I am listening through my Denon D5000 hps. The HM-602 internal amp wil drive these phones easily(the D5000) but the sound , while still more detailed (& completely non-fatiguing) then what you hear from an Apple DAP, is not as detailed as through the Zen Head. I've had my ZH a few years now, (& I believe Decware thought enough of my comments to even include them on web page ad copy for the Zen Head!) & I think this amp can really display it's quality w/ this player. I have had the the player for less than a week, so the player is not really even "broken in" yet! How well the ZH will drive the K702s I'm not sure. With my D5000s w/ the gain switch set to normal in the ZH I have more than enough gain w/ the volume control set to about 8:30 or 9:00 ! As occasionally mentioned the HM-602 is a little "quirky" as to it's operational controls , just be patient & take your time. One thing I feel compelled to mention is that the sdhc card's data plates has to be facing the top of the player when inserted into the player. Is this normal? If it is I think a "heads up" about the orientation of the card for insertion will serve to keep some of us from a lot of "angst & panic". So, do I have an upside down card reader in my player or does my player have an "Oops !!" in it. One more thing , if you're interested you can rip a CD, using EAC, straight into the player. This assumes of course you have to keep track of how many mb in size the CD was so you know how much space is left on your card or internal flash. Happy listening to all.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #1,180 of 1,195

Quote:

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Welcome to Head-Fi, John!

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,183 of 1,195

Quote:
The UI is not the slickest, but you'll get used to it in a few days or weeks at the most.

I listen to various Classical music about 95% of the time (Orchestral,chamber, solo, etc.. everything but vocal works,just don't care for it) so I made up about  5 or 6 folders containing works seperated by the different genres . Orchestral, Symphonies, Concertos, Chamber etc. & placed the music files & their corresponding cue sheets in these folders minus the seperate folder for each recording. I'll get back to everyone once I can determine if this works for me. It was worth a try (I have'nt listened to this arrangement yet... I doing so now)

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #1,184 of 1,195
Quote:
I listen to various Classical music about 95% of the time (Orchestral,chamber, solo, etc.. everything but vocal works,just don't care for it) so I made up about  5 or 6 folders containing works seperated by the different genres . Orchestral, Symphonies, Concertos, Chamber etc. & placed the music files & their corresponding cue sheets in these folders minus the seperate folder for each recording. I'll get back to everyone once I can determine if this works for me. It was worth a try (I have'nt listened to this arrangement yet... I doing so now)

Note that if you navigate via folder structure, the folders are not in alphabetical order, but in the order they were added.
If you navigate via album / artist - it is alphabetical.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,185 of 1,195
May I ask what headphones you guys pair the HM-602 with?  I have Shure SE530s and Sony MDR-ZX700s, but I would like a bit more bass and a bit more treble.  The mids are F A N T A S T I C, and the details are absolutely unreal, but I need a bit more sparkle and a bit more punchy bass.  The Shures, as you know, are a bit mid-centric to begin with... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back