Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Jan 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #751 of 862
At this point I think the Meizu Pro is the better option for the price. https://hifigo.com/products/meizu-h...-5mm-dac-decoding-headphone-amplifier-adapter
Hi
Would you share WHY do you recommend Meizu over Sonata HD ?
And what about Sonata HD PRO (Tempotec) ?? It looks promising (on paper :) )

There are so many portable DAC/AMPS and I'm stuck with decision which one to choose:)
My Phone has limited max volume due to EU regulations and on the other side, I'm looking for better sound quality as I bought Tidal HiFI...
And last but not least I have limited money fot this purchase (40-60 USD)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #752 of 862
Jan 10, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #753 of 862
Very much doubt that.

I'd rather choose the eSynic with the AK4452 DAC chip that only costs around £17 off Amazon.

I've seen measurements showing the Meizu Pro is the better dongle. Better DAC and more power.

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #754 of 862
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #755 of 862
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #756 of 862
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #757 of 862
Personally I don't appreciate people commenting of stuff they have no first hand experience with but obviously YMMV....

I do have first hand experience with the Sonata HDII, but I have not used the Meizu. I was never disappointed with the Hidizs, but I'd definitely recommend the Meizu over it after seeing those measurements. 3 times the power is always a good thing, and the DAC portion measures better too.

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #758 of 862
I do have first hand experience with the Sonata HDII, but I have not used the Meizu. I was never disappointed with the Hidizs, but I'd definitely recommend the Meizu over it after seeing those measurements. 3 times the power is always a good thing, and the DAC portion measures better too.

Fair enough but be aware that there's limitations to human hearing over measurement equipment so after a certain point numbers are irrelevant for what we hear.

Extra power can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're planning to pair it with in my experience (more prone to hiss, faster battery drain, and bigger volume steps are some examples). But yeah, if you're planning to use it with hard to drive headphones it's certainly welcome.

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #759 of 862
I've seen measurements showing the Meizu Pro is the better dongle. Better DAC and more power.

Meaurements are hardly be all and end all of audio equipment.

Whether it's a better device or not depends on a myriad of things, just like described in Peter's post above.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #760 of 862
So I am figuring out how I can get rid of background hiss using my quality Phantom Master 4 IEMs together with my Dell XPS 7590 laptop.

Others advised me to go down the mini DAC path, is the HIDIZS Sonata II still the way to go? My IEMs are sensitive, above all I want to get rid of the hiss but a nicer source for my IEMs would be great too...

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #761 of 862
So I am figuring out how I can get rid of background hiss using my quality Phantom Master 4 IEMs together with my Dell XPS 7590 laptop.

Others advised me to go down the mini DAC path, is the HIDIZS Sonata II still the way to go? My IEMs are sensitive, above all I want to get rid of the hiss but a nicer source for my IEMs would be great too...

Ahh, even something like this would work (with a USB-C to USB adapter). Which is what I'm using with my laptop, works perfect and needs no drivers!

USB Type C 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter, KOOPAO USB-C 3.5mm Digital Earphone Adapter Compatible with Samsung Google Pixel 2 3 4XL and HTC Huawei iPad Pro (Upgraded version)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082WR32KH/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_jp6hEbG8A7TKH

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #762 of 862
unfortunately, i can only got it works with my laptop. non of my smartphones are able to detect it once plucked in. what seems to be the problem here. i had testing with huawei P20Pro, Mate 20Pro, P30Pro, LG V30, Oppo Reno. i am currently uses Oppo Reno with android 9. please advise, i had tested all known setting advised by hidizs.

I know it's been months since this post, but just for update/information, I'm using the Hidizs S3 dongle with no issues, and great satisfaction, on my Huawei P30Pro, using both Poweramp and the default player. Prefer Poweramp, but that's an aside. (Pure Music D)

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #765 of 862
I just received the Tempotec Sonata HD pro which is identical to the Hidizs S8 internally. I read the glowing reports about the S8 and the Jeckyl to this Mr Hide. I really, really like the look of the Hidisz, but does that warrant a price doubling? Do I need it at all? Aren't those awesome measurements just as clever marketing as the shiny exterior? Well, yes. Being in audio for 40 years it didn't take long to know that specs tell you exactly nothing about sound quality. I don't believe it, I know it. Specs are marketing tools. They have the image of being objective but the deception lies in that the average consumer (ie 99.99%) has no idea how to interpret and weigh them. For that you need a combination of several specializations not taught in any one school. But I digress...

Why did I buy the Tempotec? It's small enough to vanish and not need an extra bag or strap, it has the firmware I wanted (no mic, only music direct), it's cheap enough not to regret as impulse buy, it has an extra opamp so has more power than the usual single chip Dac-cables to support my HF 580 planar with a simple unbalanced 3.5mm jack. And what I read from the reviews is that it had a neutral (not overly warm) sound that I needed/wanted to combine with my headphones.

Now I'm listening to some native DSD material I can say that it's dead quiet, indeed volume steps are a bit large, it can drive my Takstar HF 580 reasonably well (1 volume step below max to take away the slight strain on the opamp) and the sound is really good. It's natural and flowing, not to overdetailed but still a sigma delta sound signature. So even if I know not to care about specs, compared to my big system (R2R+tubes) it's slightly clinical silicone cleanroom. Like a well designed classy hotel bar instead of a cosy jazz bar. Once again a good impulse acquisition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back