Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Sep 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #107 of 862
Screenshot_20180924_143425.jpg
Neutron Music Player show me this information.
IMG_20180924_143908.jpg
I bought the Sonata HD at Hidizs and not at TempoTec.
On TempoTec.com.cn/en the Sonata HD is also offered including the 3 firmwares A, C and D.
This is not compatible with the Hidizs Sonata HD. It's a little strange.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #109 of 862
Are they still operational? I made an order on their website but have not heard from them at all, no order confirmation and no response to my inquiries. They charged me though.
I ordered mine just a couple of weeks ago. I received an email confirmation. Check your spam folder...

Sep 28, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #113 of 862
I've just received my Sonata HD DAC Cable II. Since there is no real manual, I was wondering why there are 3 FW Versions for the "old" cable (A, C and D), and only one version for the 2.0 Cable.

Which setting is used in SONATA_HD-A-V2.0.zip ? Is it all 3 versions "combined", so best audio quality and phone calls?

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #114 of 862
I've just received my Sonata HD DAC Cable II. Since there is no real manual, I was wondering why there are 3 FW Versions for the "old" cable (A, C and D), and only one version for the 2.0 Cable.

Which setting is used in SONATA_HD-A-V2.0.zip ? Is it all 3 versions "combined", so best audio quality and phone calls?

Hello
According to Hidizs you should install the V2.
Then the FW A, B or C.

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #115 of 862
Finally received the Sonata in the mail.
Woot! The construction is top notch, solid and very flexible without putting any torque on the USB-C port. It's also much more discreet (i.e cool) compared to the white Pixel 2 dongle. The 3.5mm end is able to freely rotate as noted in an earlier post, which is great for preventing damage and cable twist!

Worked right out of the box with Pixel 2 XL without flashing to V2.0. Initially, the volume via hardware gain + direct USB Access (Neutron MP) is about the same as the stock Pixel 2 dongle. I needed it at 60-70% of gain to get a decent volume on a Sennheiser HD 569 (32Ohm).
After updating to V2.0 (not sure what that does) and Pure Music D fw, the volume just exploded! I can play the same tracks at 20% gain! Strangely, even at 0, ZERO, gain, I can still hear the music clearly, at what I would consider "soft listening" volume!?
Perhaps the A fw is "reserving" some power for other phone sounds and alarms? Also, not sure why the volume cannot be reduce to zero?

I then disabled the direct USB Access, which is the entire point of moving away from the Pixel 2 dongle, which can only play music well using this mode on Neutron, but causes all other phone sounds and music from other apps to play through the phone's speakers, and disables the headphone's mic for making calls. Very annoying. I had to unplug and plug the dongle if I want to switch
Volume is lower now using the phone's volume control (but with hardware gain still enabled), and I need about 50% vs the 20% on direct USB Access. Music quality is completely unaffected as far as I can tell (unlike the Pixel 2 dongle, which instantly sounds horrid and lifeless).

I was initially worried that pure music D fw would mean that I cannot make calls using the headphone mic or lose some functions but everything worked very well. In fact, I can hear all the phone's sounds (ring tones, alarms etc) loud and clear. There's really no trade off in flashing to the D fw as far as I can tell? Unless it just means that the alarms, ring tones and call quality are lower?

Music quality is superb playing FLAC files (and I'm only using 16 bits 44.1 khz) though I can't describe it as technically as the experts. All I can tell is that the soundstage is wider (which I really liked) than the Pixel's (on NMP) and the HTC 10's. The Pixel and HTC 10's soundstage are not too bad either, so it's really a surprise. Some parts on Mr Big's Wild World are so wide it felt like it's coming from behind my ears. Clarity and separation are also very good, with no hiss or distortions. I can hear more details and vocals feel more "emotional" (not sure how else to describe it), as if I'm using my old FiiO E7k DAC/amp.

It also sounds slightly warmer and livelier than the Pixel dongle and seems more comfortable to listen to for a longer period of time, although I'll need to spend more time with it to tell for sure.

Being able to play music properly without using direct USB Access is my main reason for getting this to replace the stock Pixel dongle. The Sonata lets me do this and performed above and beyond expectations. Being able to use Pure Music D fw and still make calls using the headphone's mic is a pleasant surprise and I am a sucker for wide soundstage and slightly warm signature. The clarity and details are great too.

Highly recommended as this is definitely an upgrade and more than worth it's price.

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #116 of 862
I have ordered my Sonata on 26th Sep, 2018. The order has been shipped on 29th and I am eagerly waiting for it. Thanks to all for lot of information in this thread from which I learnt that I can flash the DAC with 3 custom FWs for signature sound etc etc.
Moreover, I have also ordered VE USB C Odyssey DAC Dongle from veclan (which will reach expectedly soon) and I have a KZ USB C DAC 0.78mm connecting cord which I presently use. I am excited that I will be able to compare all three.

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #117 of 862
Just got one today....

After a headache of getting FW to update and the update to "D"/Pure Music. It sounds much better. A lot cleaner.

On that note, it should have been more clear that the values mentioned in here, VID: 22E1 and PID: E202, are the default values. I decided to use them after Device Manager gave me no info. Oila.

My major issue, music sounds great out of UAPP. Go to watch a video on FB or YT. No audio and the video is freezing every second. This is not acceptable. Guess I'll be sending this back and sticking with my ES100 solely.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #118 of 862
I have ordered my Sonata on 26th Sep, 2018. The order has been shipped on 29th and I am eagerly waiting for it. Thanks to all for lot of information in this thread from which I learnt that I can flash the DAC with 3 custom FWs for signature sound etc etc.
Moreover, I have also ordered VE USB C Odyssey DAC Dongle from veclan (which will reach expectedly soon) and I have a KZ USB C DAC 0.78mm connecting cord which I presently use. I am excited that I will be able to compare all three.

I ordered 4 octuber (and pay for express shipping) but not appers shipped to this day, the shipment arrived to you? best regards

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #119 of 862
I ordered 4 octuber (and pay for express shipping) but not appers shipped to this day, the shipment arrived to you? best regards
Hi @turko33 Can you please private message me the email address you used to order so we can check? Thanks!

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #120 of 862
Using essential Ph-1 phone. I only hear through 1 ear on max volume with C and D flashed for most songs when on my phone. They works fine on my PC but A is the only one that works normally on my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back