Hidizs AP60II - youngest in HiRes family but worth every cent
May 24, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #121 of 205
I picked up an AP60-II during their recent sale (only $10 off, but hey - it's $10). The manual doesn't indicate directory structure, and darned if I can figure out where it wants things to be. I've got M3U playlists on the device, and if I navigate to them via folder view, they play just fine. But, nothing shows up under the M3Ulist menu option - is that menu only for the on-the-fly playlists?

As another strange quirk, it doesn't think my Podcast files have any genre information, when they are tagged appropriately as Podcast in their MP3 metadata. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Currently, I'm expecting to put Music in /music/artist/album style structures, and Podcasts in /podcast/ structure, so I can just use the folder view for Podcasts. And, my custom playlists are going under /Playlists.

Am I missing something, or is there no way to load a playlist onto the player and have it show up in the category view rather than folder view?

May 30, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #122 of 205
Noticed an issue with EQ.

I use the Pop preset. The EQ works correctly when I go into music settings and choose the preset.

Each time I reboot the player, the EQ audibly seems to have done back to OFF, even though the preset EQ Pop is displayed as selected

If I then go into EQ settings, again it is set to Pop, but if I select the another EQ, then reselect Pop, there is such an audible difference it is obvious the player has not rebooted with the correct EQ (audibly) - even though it appears that it has.

Best way to check is to go into settings, select the Pop EQ (or any preset EQ) play one song.
Reboot the player, play the same song again, it should sound different even though the custom EQ is displayed.
Again go into EQ settings (it should display the custom EQ you selected), scroll to another EQ then back to the one you had selected.

The only workaround is to set the EQ again each time I turn the player on.

Using Firmware 1.11

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #125 of 205
Answering my own query regarding M3U support:

I contacted Hidizs, and their engineering team said they understand my desire to make M3U playlists actually show up in the obvious M3UList menu item, but they made no promises or even any strongly felt hint that it would happen.

I'm very confused by the term M3UList in that menu, since it is only capable of operating the on-the-fly playlists you create on the player, and those don't show up in the file system as M3U or any other file, seemingly only residing within the database. So, why use M3U in the name? Why not just say "playlist" instead? It seems either deliberately misleading or incredibly ill-informed.

Anyway, I continue my quest for a modern MP3 player that can handle Podcasts as something other than music, and has a rational approach to externally-created playlists. This has so far been a quixotic quest.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #126 of 205
Hidizs finally responded in another thread: "We are finishing up the DH1000 production, the KS orders will be able to shipped out within next week. and as well as the AP60 pro. Thanks"
Well a week later and still no Pro delivery. This is not making either company look good. This might be my last time buying their product. So angry.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #127 of 205
Well a week later and still no Pro delivery. This is not making either company look good. This might be my last time buying their product. So angry.
Yeah, it’s kind of f*d up. I seriously don’t understand the lack of communication by both companies. I’m in on the Massdrop AP60 Pro and the Kickstarter DH1000. These are my first dealings with Hidizs, so I’ve got a very weary impression thus far.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #128 of 205
Answering my own query regarding M3U support:

I contacted Hidizs, and their engineering team said they understand my desire to make M3U playlists actually show up in the obvious M3UList menu item, but they made no promises or even any strongly felt hint that it would happen.

I'm very confused by the term M3UList in that menu, since it is only capable of operating the on-the-fly playlists you create on the player, and those don't show up in the file system as M3U or any other file, seemingly only residing within the database. So, why use M3U in the name? Why not just say "playlist" instead? It seems either deliberately misleading or incredibly ill-informed.

Anyway, I continue my quest for a modern MP3 player that can handle Podcasts as something other than music, and has a rational approach to externally-created playlists. This has so far been a quixotic quest.
Well...
Maybe I don't fully understand, but I create M3u playlists in JRiver Media Center, save them to the SD card base directory in the AP-60II, and they work perfectly. A couple glitches on occasion (random and unexplainable), but otherwise all good.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #129 of 205
Well...
Maybe I don't fully understand, but I create M3u playlists in JRiver Media Center, save them to the SD card base directory in the AP-60II, and they work perfectly. A couple glitches on occasion (random and unexplainable), but otherwise all good.

Sure, they work in "Browse" mode. Do they work in "Category" mode, which is where there is a menu listing "M3UList" that, per Hidizs engineering team, is not actually related to M3U playlists (which are a specific file type, after all), but is only for the playlists one creates on the machine. I'm sure most folks find creating a playlist with a 4-way pad a bit more frustrating than making them on your computer and synchronizing with the DAP. I assumed that M3UList (the menu option) would be populated with the M3U playlists that I loaded. Instead, the only way to get to my own M3U lists is via the "browse" mode. It's not a huge deal, but it seems a bit nutty that M3UList does not actually show any actual list of M3U files. :)

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #130 of 205
Sure, they work in "Browse" mode. Do they work in "Category" mode, which is where there is a menu listing "M3UList" that, per Hidizs engineering team, is not actually related to M3U playlists (which are a specific file type, after all), but is only for the playlists one creates on the machine. I'm sure most folks find creating a playlist with a 4-way pad a bit more frustrating than making them on your computer and synchronizing with the DAP. I assumed that M3UList (the menu option) would be populated with the M3U playlists that I loaded. Instead, the only way to get to my own M3U lists is via the "browse" mode. It's not a huge deal, but it seems a bit nutty that M3UList does not actually show any actual list of M3U files. :)
Correct... they do not work in Category mode under M3u.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #131 of 205
And STILL no update for AP60 Pro Massdrop orders delivery. Seems almost like Hidizs and Massdrop are hiding that this was a not a group buy, but was actually CROWD FUNDING! They take our money and then design and build the product. I say it seems they are conspiring because they are NOT COMMUNICATING with folks that have PAID IN FULL and were told the product would ship on May 7!!! I AM FURIOUS!!!

#massdrop
#Hidizs

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #132 of 205
And STILL no update for AP60 Pro Massdrop orders delivery. Seems almost like Hidizs and Massdrop are hiding that this was a not a group buy, but was actually CROWD FUNDING! They take our money and then design and build the product. I say it seems they are conspiring because they are NOT COMMUNICATING with folks that have PAID IN FULL and were told the product would ship on May 7!!! I AM FURIOUS!!!

#massdrop
#Hidizs
I almost feel like they don’t want to give it to us on Massdrop. Like they feel like they made a mistake on the pricing or something and they actually hope all the customers will demand their money back, so they won’t have to honor it.
That reasoning alone, i’m Going to stick with it and make sure that I get it, but i’m feeling your vibe too. Should have seen it coming though, having read the AP200 thread and how slow they are being in addressing that player’s shortcomings.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #134 of 205
I'll believe it when I see it. Not excited no more. Maybe I'll change my mind, but dang.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #135 of 205
Likely on a slow boat from China. I'll await Massdrop's conformation e-mail, assuming they remember that they have customers still waiting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back