Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Oct 19, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #616 of 992
I just discovered how powerful NT-6 bass is especially the sub-bass.

Listening to Smashing Pumpkins' "Suffer". The bass is jaw-dropping powerful. I can literally feel my ears shaking every time the thunderous deep bass hits. It does give me a very solid kick. Well controlled while maintaining the overall ultra sharp details.

In comparison my Sakura + sounds like it has a little edge in bass quantity; however, that sub-bass impact is clearly lacking. I do not feel the rumble and shake in my ears. By now I have fully adjusted to NT-6 signature. It does reveal the true nature of the recording. Bad recording just sound bad. But good recording are at least good if not phenomenal.

I seldom listen to Smashing Pumpkin albums because on most headphones I tried their music is just full of bass which overpowers everything else that makes the whole music sound muddy. NT-6 makes their music so damn good to listen to.

Poor T8ie, I have enjoyed it for a few months but with NT-6, it now feels sound like mud. That is the downside of NT-6 imo.
biggrin.gif

This rig will keep me occupied for tonight

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #617 of 992
  I just discovered how powerful NT-6 bass is especially the sub-bass.

Listening to Smashing Pumpkins' "Suffer". The bass is jaw-dropping powerful. I can literally feel my ears shaking every time the thunderous deep bass hits. It does give me a very solid kick. Well controlled while maintaining the overall ultra sharp details.

In comparison my Sakura + sounds like it has a little edge in bass quantity; however, that sub-bass impact is clearly lacking. I do not feel the rumble and shake in my ears. By now I have fully adjusted to NT-6 signature. It does reveal the true nature of the recording. Bad recording just sound bad. But good recording are at least good if not phenomenal.

I seldom listen to Smashing Pumpkin albums because on most headphones I tried their music is just full of bass which overpowers everything else that makes the whole music sound muddy. NT-6 makes their music so damn good to listen to.

Poor T8ie, I have enjoyed it for a few months but with NT-6, it now feels sound like mud. That is the downside of NT-6 imo.
biggrin.gif

i sold all my other iems 1-2 months after getting NT6

phenomenal ciem , especially when paired with hybrid v3 

btw , siamese dream is one BEAST of a rock album

people looking into a reference ciem and thinking of spending 2000$ for the noble katana - you can get nt6 for 1200$

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #618 of 992

i sold all my other iems 1-2 months after getting NT6

phenomenal ciem , especially when paired with hybrid v3 

btw , siamese dream is one BEAST of a rock album

people looking into a reference ciem and thinking of spending 2000$ for the noble katana - you can get nt6 for 1200$

Before NT-6, Siamese dream is my favorite Smashing Pumkin Album. But turns out Gish have better recorded, and overall good music. NT-6 helps me realized that.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #619 of 992
So far with Hugo, NT-6 shines well ahead of other iems I have. It feels like NT-6 performs better with better sources. NT-6 feels on the same level overall with Sakura+ directly from Shanling M1 and Fiio X7. But with Hugo, it's noticeable that NT-6 can convey a wider soundstage. The music appears bigger on NT-6 with Hugo.

With Hugo as the source, NT-6 is my most favorite iem. However, badly recorded music becomes worst  with this combination. So not everything is a win. I guess you can't have everything.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #620 of 992
  So far with Hugo, NT-6 shines well ahead of other iems I have. It feels like NT-6 performs better with better sources. NT-6 feels on the same level overall with Sakura+ directly from Shanling M1 and Fiio X7. But with Hugo, it's noticeable that NT-6 can convey a wider soundstage. The music appears bigger on NT-6 with Hugo.

With Hugo as the source, NT-6 is my most favorite iem. However, badly recorded music becomes worst  with this combination. So not everything is a win. I guess you can't have everything.

1st bold , is why i want to try something better than ZX2 , i have seen this remark by many NT6 owners

2nd bold , all the music i have is well recorded/mastered music from the 70s-90s , no trash 00s/10s music mastered like sh.it

and i would love a direct comparison with the Noble Katana , i am very, very curious how well nt6 fares against this so called ''reference beast'' (which everyone has said that it is very expensive btw , a whopping 700$ more expensive than NT6)

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #621 of 992

1st bold , is why i want to try something better than ZX2 , i have seen this remark by many NT6 owners

2nd bold , all the music i have is well recorded/mastered music from the 70s-90s , no trash 00s/10s music mastered like sh.it

and i would love a direct comparison with the Noble Katana , i am very, very curious how well nt6 fares against this so called ''reference beast'' (which everyone has said that it is very expensive btw , a whopping 700$ more expensive than NT6)

Actually I'm curious about the SE 5-way now. From what I read it seems like a good complement with NT-6

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #622 of 992
The NT-6 has always been in my radar-- Asian craftmanship combined with the tuning-- this is like the Fitear of Korea. But stories about the treble is holding me back, I've tried treble focused IEMs before and I like them but I'm not sure Im ready to commit for this one just yet.

What are your preferred music to go along the NT6 guys?

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #623 of 992
  The NT-6 has always been in my radar-- Asian craftmanship combined with the tuning-- this is like the Fitear of Korea. But stories about the treble is holding me back, I've tried treble focused IEMs before and I like them but I'm not sure Im ready to commit for this one just yet.

What are your preferred music to go along the NT6 guys?

what stories ? only story that's real is that it's more balanced than NT6 pro 

just trhow away the stock cable , buy a good hybrid cable and start asking again and again 'why didn't i buy it SOONER?'

I had ck10 and it had piercing treble - nt6 ? it's a marvel.

ps : i listen to music of melody and high iq , soul/pop/funk/rock/disco/jazz/electro

not ****.ty/made up / hyped music 

get NT6 , if you like a highly addictive reference yet musical ciem

cheers

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #624 of 992

Actually I'm curious about the SE 5-way now. From what I read it seems like a good complement with NT-6

I'm with you, the SE5 plus NT6 seems like all anyone would need in their inventory. I skipped the katana at RMAF because I was hearing that it was bass neutral/light rather than down deep bass natural like the NT6. My pro is supposed to even go further down the bass rabbit hole, but in listening to descriptions, sounds more like the NT6 non-pro descriptions as it has no brightness that seems to plague other owners just smooth treble extension integrated into the sound. The K10 may be a good addition to the SE5 and NT6 in its ability to make even terrible recordings sound stellar or poor sources like the iPhone sound TOTL. However, the K10 doesn't scale up like the Hiditions with better sources. Try your NT6 with a Ygg/Rok stack for example to hear how well it scales compared to LCDs or HD800s or even the HEK/HEX. 

Where the NT6 shines is in its ability to be so transparent and resolute while adding deep and high quality bass with impact and dynamics to the equation. Nobody else seems to be able to do that. The SE5 is a different tuning but seems to garner similar results with more euphonics. Wish I had a way to audition the SE5, but so far have never found one in the wild or at an event.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #625 of 992
Now, if only Hidition would respond to their emails.........

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #626 of 992
well i wanted to buy one more ciem that would be different from the NT6 so i decided to go for the EE Athena 

if it's a s good as NT6 , i will be a very happy camper

as for se5ult , it must be a fantastic ciem but at almost 1800 euros , it's too much for moi (plus i don't know if its tuning will be to my liking)

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #627 of 992
  well i wanted to buy one more ciem that would be different from the NT6 so i decided to go for the EE Athena 

if it's a s good as NT6 , i will be a very happy camper

as for se5ult , it must be a fantastic ciem but at almost 1800 euros , it's too much for moi (plus i don't know if its tuning will be to my liking)

While everyone says go ultimate, the regular SE5 is the one that got all the attention and it is $1500 US, much cheaper - unless they upped the price lately. My interest is to go with the regular reference version SE5.

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #628 of 992

While everyone says go ultimate, the regular SE5 is the one that got all the attention and it is $1500 US, much cheaper - unless they upped the price lately. My interest is to go with the regular reference version SE5.

you mean the se5 ref ? well , judging by its title this should be the reference one , so it will probably sound like NT6 

i have covered my 1st 'reference' base , i will go to fill 2nd 'midcentric' base with  athena , EE has been getting lots of praises lately about their ciems

if you are looking for something reference type , you should check out their 'spartan' model priced at 750$

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #630 of 992

you mean the se5 ref ? well , judging by its title this should be the reference one , so it will probably sound like NT6 

i have covered my 1st 'reference' base , i will go to fill 2nd 'midcentric' base with  athena , EE has been getting lots of praises lately about their ciems

if you are looking for something reference type , you should check out their 'spartan' model priced at 750$

Just heard the Spartan with Jack at RMAF and it was awesome. He was testing a new version and I cannot remember if it was with or without the Adel module, but it was very much like the NT6 with a little less extension both directions. Very transparent and resolving with great dynamics. Don't think you could go wrong there.

The SE5 write ups are all I can go by since I have never gotten a chance to hear them personally. What I am reading from those that own both the Hidition and the SE5 is that the Hidition is all about transparency and resolving where the SE5 is richer and more euphonic while still driving the same resolution. So the SE5 is more fun and emotional while the Hidition tells it the way it is. Don't be mislead by the reference label as everyone has a different concept of reference. In the end, most owners of both use the SE5 more which says something to me. Again, this is just what I am reading. 

The Hidition, Spartan, and the SE5 all have something in common. They avoided the driver wars by using less, but bigger/better drivers that seem to sound better, and they have more crossover points for purity of frequencies between the drivers. To me this is like comparing a 15 inch subwoofer to a subwoofer that drives a pair of 8 inch drivers. Together, the 8 inch drivers add to 16 inches, but you would be hard pressed to beat the single 15 inch in real world situations. Also, having specialty drivers that excel at their part of the spectrum typically always sound better than a single driver trying to do everything well. I am sure there are exceptions to both in the lab, but in the real world, these crazy driver counts often sound very busy compared to a clean Hidition/SE5/Spartan setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back