Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #256 of 992
  Ok, more information for you all.  

I just talked to Hidition, and asked about why they like closed mouth impressions.  They told me performers have their mouth open while singing and for music listeners like us, it's more relaxing for us to have mouth close in relaxed position so that's the reason for closed mouth impressions.  
beerchug.gif

True, my nt6 pro's definitely feel very comfortable in my ears, once I put them in, they just disappear :)

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #257 of 992
  Guys, it seams DX50 is very popular, and the price doesn't seem that bad compared to the DX100.  Would you guys recommend it?  If you have the ODAC/O2 combo, how does it compare?

I thought that the DX50 sounded great until I heard the sound quality of the X5 tour unit, now I can hardly listen to the DX50s any more, even amped through my BH2.  The X5 makes a much superior one piece solution with the only disadvantage being that it doesn't have the easy to swap batteries. I love being able to charge my additional batteries independently of the DX50 and swap batteries as the get low and never worrying about running out of juice. For that reason, I have been watching the DX90 to see if it can beat the X5 and the X5's driving power. 

On the other hand, average_joe has heard them all and says that the NT6pro easily pairs better with the DX100 than anything else. I'm not sure that I can stomach the brick size and terrible UI of the DX100 with such a short battery life. For now, I will be drop kicking my DX50 for an X5 as soon as I can get my hands on one. 

My X5 review is all about the X5 vs. the DX50 using the NT6pro:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10579

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #258 of 992
HI guys I have another tip for you before you send impressions to Hidition.  Make sure your impressions do not have any significant gaps(looks like a crease or crack) on them or they cannot properly make your impressions.  If you are sending impressions from overseas, send pictures of your impressions to Hidition via email so they can approve it so it doesn't waste your time or theirs.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #259 of 992
It means, those with small cracks are not good? :)

Btw all manufacturers recommends to do the open mouth impressions. So what is the real truth?:) It makes sense, that signers have during their performance open mouth more often, but general listeners who do not talk during listening, should be maybe more comfortable with closed mouth impressions?

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #260 of 992
Regarding opened vs closed mouth - IMO everything depends how a given manufacturer builds his CIEMs. The majority of the manufacturers require opened mouth, but for example Spiral Ear requires closed mouth - this is due do the fact that they are doing musician fit CIEMs and thus the seal does not break while moving your head or yawning. My experience with CIEMs/custom tips which are not made as musician fit is as follows: if the impressions are taken with the closed mouth the seal will be easily broken, but if they are taken with mouth opened any head/jaw movement will not break the seal.
The golden rule though is that: follow your CIEMs manufacturer's instruction (once I did not follow this rule and I had to take the impressions once again and ask for the refit).

As regards Hidition I thought they are requiring closed mouth because they are doing musician fit type of CIEMs.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #261 of 992

Btw all manufacturers recommends to do the open mouth impressions. So what is the real truth?:) It makes sense, that signers have during their performance open mouth more often, but general listeners who do not talk during listening, should be maybe more comfortable with closed mouth impressions?

I think yours look good, not like mine that got rejected.  :frowning2:   Anyway, send the images to their help email address, and they should respond.  Once they respond, tell all the options that you would like to get customs made, and I'm sure they will direct you to the goal.  

I think they reject the ones that would create a leak with gaps in them like mine that got rejected pictured below.  You see the one on the right with the creases?  They don't want that.

Jesus, you have deep Canals.  
eek.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #262 of 992
Are the NT6 bright compared to JHA FP?  It is a toss-up for me between the two.  If they have too much treble extensions, I may go with JHA.  When you guys say clarity, do you mean because of the treble?  For example, I don't like the forward grainyness that Shures IEMs such as the 846 provides.  I prefer more smoother(but with details, the mids are forward and detailed but not grainy forward) sound like the 334.  You know what I mean?  I don't like ear-bleeding trebles.  

Also imaging and sound stage is quite important. Does it have good imaging? Does it have a wide sound stage?  How does the sound stage compare to the 334?

Is the NT6 for me?  Or should I look elsewhere?  I get the feeling they are bright and may create sibilance.  I don't get sibilance with the 334.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #263 of 992
  Are the NT6 bright compared to JHA FP?  It is a toss-up for me between the two.  If they have too much treble extensions, I may go with JHA.  When you guys say clarity, do you mean because of the treble?  For example, I don't like the forward grainyness that Shures IEMs such as the 846 provides.  I prefer more smoother(but with details, the mids are forward and detailed but not grainy forward) sound like the 334.  You know what I mean?  I don't like ear-bleeding trebles.  

Also imaging and sound stage is quite important. Does it have good imaging? Does it have a wide sound stage?  How does the sound stage compare to the 334?

Is the NT6 for me?  Or should I look elsewhere?  I get the feeling they are bright and may create sibilance.  I don't get sibilance with the 334.

Yeah, they're so bright that you'd need sun glasses to protect your ears .

Nah, I'm just kidding. I've heard the JH16 and JH13 Pro FP, comparing with the NT6 Pro (I have not heard the NT6), NT6 Pro are definitely brighter. As for mids, it isn't as forward as you think.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #264 of 992

Trust me, you can never get enough treble extension :wink: And usually it's not the too much extension makes you ear bleed rather than the non-linearity in the whole treble spectrum. NT6 and NT6 PRO are bright not because of the treble extension, because they have a lift around 11-12 K Hz that reproduce extreme clarity in the sound.
NT6 has better clarity than any JHA product, only JH13 FP can match NT6 in terms of treble extension. NT6 is the only bright CIEM that sound musical and smooth to my ears. 
If you find 334's treble smooth, I am sure you will have no problem with NT6's. 334's treble has a analytical touch actually.

NT6 has very wide soundstage and imaging is accurate too. The soundstage width is about the same as 334, but the space is much more 3D compared to 334. NT6 also sounds fuller than 334. The only thing I will take 334 over NT6 is the female vocals.

If you don't think you got sibilance in 334, you will not get any sibilance at all in NT6. I now got a feeling that your source is on the warmer side of neutral, because 334 does have some sibilance on certain songs on my desktop source or DX100.

If you want to look at JHA, JH13 is the only product I recommend and you will need a aftermarket cable, otherwise you will find them lack of transparency.

Why not try SE5 or noble K10.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #265 of 992
The advice linked lines up with what Hidition recommends regarding open mouth or closed(or relaxed).  http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit

How to to maximize the comfort of your custom IEMs:

The tips i'm mentioning here relate specifically to comfort only. Comfort does not always equal a solid seal although it can for some people. You have to have a seal for a successful set of IEMs obviously, but there is such a thing as too much seal when it is to the point where the pressure causes discomfort.

Ideally for a comfortable fit you should hold your head and your jaw in the "average" position that you will hold them in when using your IEMs.  In my case, I am an audiophile who does not sing. I tend to listen sitting leaning forward slightly while using the computer or when laying down. I don't talk when I listen to music, and I don't eat with IEMs in. This makes my average position sitting up straight with my head just ever so slightly tilted up/back and my jaw relaxed (teeth apart) but not forced open.  This position yielded an amazingly comfortable fit for me, i don't even feel my IEMs in my ears after about 5 minutes. Luckily in my case this also produced an excellent seal.

If you are a singer, take note of how wide you open your mouth when you sing. You likely don't need to take the impression with your jaw open at 100% of where you tend to open it at its widest. Again you want that "average" position. This will be the position your jaw is in the most when you use the IEMs.

If you only listen to your IEMs lying down on your back, have your impressions done while you lay on your back. In short, do whatever it is you'll be doing the most when you use your IEMs.  If you do multiple things while using your IEMs, find your average position between the two and use that.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #266 of 992
Hi guys, I was at the NY meet yesterday and tried the X3, X5, and Ak100 120, and 240.  I thought the AK120 and 240 were the best using the UE Reference Monitor Demo which I thought was fantastic.  I hope I made the right decision with the NT6, I would have been very happy with the Reference Monitor also.

Would you guys say NT6 is more revealing than the Reference Monitor?  I do like the neutral sound of UERM, and I hope NT6 is neurtal also with more clarity.

I was surprised to find out that AK DAP was actually good.  
eek.gif
  I thought AK were better than Fiio X5, and X5 better than X3(didn't like this one at all).

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #267 of 992
Hi guys, I was at the NY meet yesterday and tried the X3, X5, and Ak100 120, and 240.  I thought the AK120 and 240 were the best using the UE Reference Monitor Demo which I thought was fantastic.  I hope I made the right decision with the NT6, I would have been very happy with the Reference Monitor also.

Would you guys say NT6 is more revealing than the Reference Monitor?  I do like the neutral sound of UERM, and I hope NT6 is neurtal also with more clarity.

I was surprised to find out that AK DAP was actually good.  :eek:   I thought AK were better than Fiio X5, and X5 better than X3(didn't like this one at all).

Average_joe reviews and rates both in his multi-CIEMs review thread. He also summarizes his final findings in a spreadsheet for quick reference and both hiditions rate higher.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #268 of 992

I just got off the phone with Hidition to see if they got my impressions, and I think they got your impressions(they said some guy from Czech :p), and also somebody named George(whoever  you are) they got yours also, if you guys are curious.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #269 of 992
Just saw the DHL tracking summary, they got it on monday, great ! :) Not sure which design to choose for NT-6, if just stick with basic colors with no extras.. or go with some specials like jewellery/carbon - they have tons of examples on hidition.co.kr website. Guess this will prolong the production process significantly?

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #270 of 992
  Just saw the DHL tracking summary, they got it on monday, great ! :) Not sure which design to choose for NT-6, if just stick with basic colors with no extras.. or go with some specials like jewellery/carbon - they have tons of examples on hidition.co.kr website. Guess this will prolong the production process significantly?

I went with the Hidition library option you can see below. It was important to me to be able to easily tell the left from right in low light as I wear them to sleep often and the black and white work like a charm. White for right. I kept it plain without any text for an upscale look, but don't worry, they have the version name and serial number on the back side so you can see/show what you own. I did opt for the carbon fibre face plates that look stellar and give it a very expensive look. The pictures as typical don't do it justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back