HiBy W5 --> Now the W3 Bluetooth Receiver is Here with Better Buttons
Jun 11, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #106 of 267
Hiby R6 pro
UAT
First test = Stuttering with W5 v close to it
Will test further.

Can't really understand touch commands / or instructions

Need more time.

Off to Lenny Kravitz gig now (!) Wil try more tomorrow.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #107 of 267
Today I went to use the W5 and it would not turn on. No matter where I pressed, how short or how long I pressed, or how many times I tried, it would not start up. It had plenty of charge, as it had stayed in its case all night long. So after a few minutes I gave up and put it back in its case.

20 minutes later I tried it again. Turned on first try. Was so tempted to throw it out the window.

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #110 of 267
In case folks haven’t already come across this, you can “lock” the haptic touch feature from the HiBy Blue app... at least make it so it only turns the thing on and off. I think you may need to re-enable this lock feature on each boot of the W5...

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #111 of 267
Hiby R6 pro
UAT
First test = Stuttering with W5 v close to it
Will test further.

Can't really understand touch commands / or instructions

Need more time.

Off to Lenny Kravitz gig now (!) Wil try more tomorrow.
Absolutely the same experience here... only way to use UAT or LDAC at highest quality for me is to keep my phone in my pocket and the W5 clipped to the same pocket... really, really poor range. Let’s hope these are just teething pains and can be improved with future firmware releases if the signal strength is controllable...

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #112 of 267
Absolutely the same experience here... only way to use UAT or LDAC at highest quality for me is to keep my phone in my pocket and the W5 clipped to the same pocket... really, really poor range. Let’s hope these are just teething pains and can be improved with future firmware releases if the signal strength is controllable...

I'm reassured I'm not alone with this issue, but do wonder why the pre-production reviews never reported this. I'll give it a few days to see how it really performs and post an update in due course.

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #113 of 267
I'm reassured I'm not alone with this issue, but do wonder why the pre-production reviews never reported this. I'll give it a few days to see how it really performs and post an update in due course.
Seems to perform much more reliably with aptx-hd... but, then does the world really need another aptx-hd solution? Like I said, hopefully there will be an upcoming update to improve UAT and LDAC reliability and performance.

@Joe Bloggs, are we missing something here? Seems this should have been pretty well tested out by HiBy. Completely understand that Bluetooth will have limited range, but when that is measured in mere inches, well, there’s just something wrong...

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #114 of 267
So I'm pretty sure the battery is draining while it's shut away in its case. The case doesn't fit it quite snug enough and it doesn't always charge it. At first I thought the clip was causing this, so I removed it and it promptly broke. Great the clip lasted 2 days. However it still doesn't always sit just right to charge; there is definitely wiggle room. It shows its charging now but I have my doubts it will continue unless I set the case where it can't be bumped. I'm pretty sure it loses connection if I place the case in my pocket or book bag. Great sound quality can't make up for a ill-functioning unit, particularly one that won't turn on b/c its continually dead. I thought I'd learned my lesson with crowd funding platforms. Apparently I had one more lesson to learn.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #115 of 267
So I'm pretty sure the battery is draining while it's shut away in its case. The case doesn't fit it quite snug enough and it doesn't always charge it. At first I thought the clip was causing this, so I removed it and it promptly broke. Great the clip lasted 2 days. However it still doesn't always sit just right to charge; there is definitely wiggle room. It shows its charging now but I have my doubts it will continue unless I set the case where it can't be bumped. I'm pretty sure it loses connection if I place the case in my pocket or book bag. Great sound quality can't make up for a ill-functioning unit, particularly one that won't turn on b/c its continually dead. I thought I'd learned my lesson with crowd funding platforms. Apparently I had one more lesson to learn.
Did you make sure the W5 is off before closing the case?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 12, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #116 of 267

I'm facing the same issue. It is not charging. I tried switching off the w5, before keeping them inside only to find the battery to be still at 20%. So, today have kept it inside without switching them off. In terms of usability, these are damn annoying so far. (the damn touch button keeps going on/off, and then suddenly stops responding altogether, the touch lock, keeps resetting in the app, likely after a reboot). I'm not even sure, if it is because of a faulty unit or bad design. :frowning2:

@Others,
Anything, I can do to at least ensure it charges everytime?

Jun 12, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #117 of 267
I'm facing the same issue. It is not charging. I tried switching off the w5, before keeping them inside only to find the battery to be still at 20%. So, today have kept it inside without switching them off. In terms of usability, these are damn annoying so far. (the damn touch button keeps going on/off, and then suddenly stops responding altogether, the touch lock, keeps resetting in the app, likely after a reboot). I'm not even sure, if it is because of a faulty unit or bad design. :frowning2:

@Others,
Anything, I can do to at least ensure it charges everytime?
Sorry you are having these issues. My W5 charges just fine...

The lock feature is reset every time you turn the W5 back on, at least that is my observation... @Joe Bloggs, if you guys could make that feature sticky (have to toggle it in the app rather than resets every time) that would be awesome... @Joe Bloggs I think you will probably find that the haptic touch is just not a good idea on a small device where users simply cannot avoid touching the surface in just the wrong place... it really is the least attractive feature of this device.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #118 of 267
Well... The HiByMusic app for smartphones (not just the r6) has been updated on the Play Store. Now supports UAT.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 12, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #119 of 267
Well... The HiByMusic app for smartphones (not just the r6) has been updated on the Play Store. Now supports UAT.

Thanks for the update - I updated the app this morning. Whilst I've not yet had a chance to extensively test it yet, I did give UAT a quick go and even with WiFi off, the Bluetooth range was extremely poor. I'm still struggling to get a stutter-free connection even with the device just a few inches from the phone. In short, I'd say it's unusable.

I'll give LDAC a try again on the way home, but can confirm that even on the way to work this morning I still have occasional audio glitches if I tried placing my phone in my back pocket (as reported in my first post).

We can only hope a firmware update might up the power and improve this, but if that's possible, it will likely further reduce battery life which is a concern.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #120 of 267
image.jpg
82415EBD-33F6-4D52-ADB7-7A8EA9B6B7C0.jpeg
924109AA-D5BB-4D06-8D9F-3BFAAB75DBCF.png
Testing today.

The equaliser isn't working.

even if switch it on and dial a crazy eq setting (see screen shot) it's effect is not audibleWhen toggling the eq on and off

The Bluetooth distance is behaving itself

It's working with the DAP over on the kitchen counter

(but I wasn't using The highest res UAT)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back