HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Sep 16, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #2,792 of 3,413
Update now comes up but immediately goes away and that’s it. It does not allow you to update as it goes away. Screen stays as I showed it. I’ll try fulling with google.

Please read my previous comment, it's Google security setting that blocks the update within HibyMusic app. Once you follow the steps I outlined for you yesterday, everything should work.

Sep 17, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #2,794 of 3,413
Sep 18, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #2,795 of 3,413
Quick question, has anyone else encountered crackling noise with Sound Field plug-in activated? I am wondering how to fix it. All my IEMs have this problem on certain songs/frequencies most likely on some low end.

It doesn’t matter if the Sound Field plug-in is at 1.00 or up to 2.00 it gets worse the higher the amount. The crackling noise is really nothing I can unhear and I tested it with Dynamics plug-in on and it fixes it just a little bit but still not to an extent where I can justify it even on 1.00.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #2,796 of 3,413
Quick question, has anyone else encountered crackling noise with Sound Field plug-in activated? I am wondering how to fix it. All my IEMs have this problem on certain songs/frequencies most likely on some low end.

It doesn’t matter if the Sound Field plug-in is at 1.00 or up to 2.00 it gets worse the higher the amount. The crackling noise is really nothing I can unhear and I tested it with Dynamics plug-in on and it fixes it just a little bit but still not to an extent where I can justify it even on 1.00.

For me it does crackle when mixed with some other plug ins, can’t recall out of my head which ones though. By itself I don’t recall it crackling

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #2,797 of 3,413
Just the sound field plug-in makes it crackle no other plugins installed. Listening through Apple Music, Tidal stand-alone and Tidal through UAPP with Xe6, Rn6 and Ragnar. The crackling noise is considerably less on Tidal UAPP though.

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #2,798 of 3,413
Just the sound field plug-in makes it crackle no other plugins installed. Listening through Apple Music, Tidal stand-alone and Tidal through UAPP with Xe6, Rn6 and Ragnar. The crackling noise is considerably less on Tidal UAPP though.
Are you listening to MQA tracks? If so that's the issue, not the sound field plugin. Switch off MQA decoder in Audio Settings and try the same tracks again..

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #2,799 of 3,413
Thanks for that advice I’ll have to check the settings on that but I can confirm that I don’t listen to only MQA tracks. The song I listened to where it first appeared specifically was Karmon - Bluesky (non MQA) here at the 5 minute mark the crackling begins. If I turn off sound field it’s gone.
Maybe it’s just certain frequencies.

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #2,800 of 3,413
Got my RS8 today! :L3000:

A few initial observations (less than an hour of listening) fwiw:

- Wow this thing is a brick! That's fine as 1) I knew that going in, 2) I'm not going to use this for portable use (like hiking/cycling; that's what my DX160 is for: especially because if it gets dropped, there's no huge loss) but for transportable use (sitting outside and in bed reading mostly).

- Fit, finish, form, solidity...etc. are all top tier. It feels like a perfected piece of gear by this criteria. It looks and feels just awesome: a true delight to handle!

- Having no problems in operations: everything is smooth, fast, glitch free. Connected to the internet, downloaded the latest update, playing different res files, etc. all without issue.

As for the sound quality: well, it's too soon to know how that is to me in detail, and I might have a few quibbles based on my tastes, but I can say that out of the box, without any messing with audio settings (except going into Turbo mode), the RS8 impresses. In a word it sounds realistic. That is, to me, instruments/vocals largely sound how they should (with the caveat that no gear, no matter what the cost, can substitute for the real thing or live music; it's all an approximation).

I loaded a few dozen of my test tracks and I'm getting to know the default sound signature, but the above seems safe to say. From memory (last played a couple days ago), my DX160 sounds artificial in comparison. That is, it plays the music, and it does sound good, but you can more easily tell that it's reproducing music, that it's a facade. It sounds kind of fake, plasticky in a way my larger headphone amps and DAC, and it seems the RS8, does not. That's a huge, important hurdle in top end gear for me: realism in music reproduction (allowing for some unique sound signature high end gear has: imo I've never heard any truly neutral gear and I like some flavor anyway).

Speaking of sound signature, I'm already picking up on some traits of the RS8. In particular, it seems this is a smooth, non fatiguing sound with some organic "earthiness" or naturalness, and note thickness, yet it's clear and resolving; it's like my Oor in this aspect which is exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. It's not an overwhelming coloration, more like a tint, but it's there. This should make the RS8 excel at music with "natural" instrumentation, such as jazz and classical. That's good as that's the material I'll mainly be playing on it.

The sound stage impresses too, in both width and depth (I'm not good at judging height, but that seems good too). The layering is very good, as is the imaging. And the bass...woah, there's some serious rumble here (and fullish mid bass), but it doesn't overwhelm. It's giving my Odin IEMs a workout! (All listening is being done with my Odins for now). It's a lively presentation too, but not hyper. But it's not laid back or relaxed. And yes, some of my favorite tracks are giving me shivers (and it's in the mid 80's here lol). Very impressive.

I'll have to compare this back to back with my desk top amps/dac, but it seems it might equal them (at least with IEMs) or at least approach them. That's what I was hoping for: to have a transportable "system" that can at least approach the fidelity of my big desktop setup(s) for when I don't want to be stuck behind my desk.

More notes later fwiw, and I reserve the right to change my mind on any of the above as I acclimate to the sound and especially as I mess with the audio settings. For now I'm just happy that my anxiety about possible buyer's remorse is gone!

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,801 of 3,413

- Wow this thing is a brick! That's fine as 1) I knew that going in, 2) I'm not going to use this for portable use (like hiking/cycling; that's what my DX160 is for: especially because if it gets dropped, there's no huge loss) but for transportable use (sitting outside and in bed reading mostly).

- Fit, finish, form, solidity...etc. are all top tier. It feels like a perfected piece of gear by this criteria. It looks and feels just awesome: a true delight to handle!

- Having no problems in operations: everything is smooth, fast, glitch free. Connected to the internet, downloaded the latest update, playing different res files, etc. all without issue.

As for the sound quality: well, it's too soon to know how that is to me in detail, and I might have a few quibbles based on my tastes, but I can say that out of the box, without any messing with audio settings (except going into Turbo mode), the RS8 impresses. In a word it sounds realistic. That is, to me, instruments/vocals largely sound how they should (with the caveat that no gear, no matter what the cost, can substitute for the real thing or live music; it's all an approximation).

I loaded a few dozen of my test tracks and I'm getting to know the default sound signature, but the above seems safe to say. From memory (last played a couple days ago), my DX160 sounds artificial in comparison. That is, it plays the music, and it does sound good, but you can more easily tell that it's reproducing music, that it's a facade. It sounds kind of fake, plasticky in a way my larger headphone amps and DAC, and it seems the RS8, does not. That's a huge, important hurdle in top end gear for me: realism in music reproduction (allowing for some unique sound signature high end gear has: imo I've never heard any truly neutral gear and I like some flavor anyway).

Speaking of sound signature, I'm already picking up on some traits of the RS8. In particular, it seems this is a smooth, non fatiguing sound with some organic "earthiness" or naturalness, and note thickness, yet it's clear and resolving; it's like my Oor in this aspect which is exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. It's not an overwhelming coloration, more like a tint, but it's there. This should make the RS8 excel at music with "natural" instrumentation, such as jazz and classical. That's good as that's the material I'll mainly be playing on it.

The sound stage impresses too, in both width and depth (I'm not good at judging height, but that seems good too). The layering is very good, as is the imaging. And the bass...woah, there's some serious rumble here (and fullish mid bass), but it doesn't overwhelm. It's giving my Odin IEMs a workout! (All listening is being done with my Odins for now). It's a lively presentation too, but not hyper. But it's not laid back or relaxed. And yes, some of my favorite tracks are giving me shivers (and it's in the mid 80's here lol). Very impressive.

I'll have to compare this back to back with my desk top amps/dac, but it seems it might equal them (at least with IEMs) or at least approach them. That's what I was hoping for: to have a transportable "system" that can at least approach the fidelity of my big desktop setup(s) for when I don't want to be stuck behind my desk.

More notes later fwiw, and I reserve the right to change my mind on any of the above as I acclimate to the sound and especially as I mess with the audio settings. For now I'm just happy that my anxiety about possible buyer's remorse is gone!

Congrats! RS8's R-2R signature will settle in over time during run in – usually around 200+ hours with shifts during that time. In the mean time, listen and enjoy!

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #2,803 of 3,413

Very nice read, thanks. If you don’t mind, please at a certain point connect the RS8 lineout to your desktop amp and tell us what you think about it versus your desktop DAC. Many thanks.

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #2,804 of 3,413
rs8 lineout is good
but a good desktop DAC will never be beaten

Users who are viewing this thread

Back