HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Sep 15, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,776 of 3,440
yes hit yellow button and it does not update. Screen says app is updating, but I see nothing happening. I've left this go for 10 minutes and nothing.
Have you rebooted and verified that it did not in fact update?

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #2,778 of 3,440
stupid question how do you reboot
no such thing!

I mean shut down and turn off the entire machine. So hold down the top button until shut down. Then wait 30 secs. Then do it again to turn it on. The update requires this - so maybe it's already happened is my point

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #2,781 of 3,440
Actualy, I recently updated my Hiby Music Player app and when it was done it told me to reboot FYI
dumb question of my own - you are connected to network and the connection is strong?

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,783 of 3,440
I even called MUSITECK not a big help. They know how to sell products but have no idea on how to troubleshoot. Wow if I were a reseller for audio gear you bet I would know how the items I sell work.

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,784 of 3,440
I’m talking about updating Hiby music 2.0.8 it won’t update
Wait a second. My RS8 is on 1.20 _20230508-1720, my HiByMusic app is V2.0.6 build 6057.

Starting the app bring up the updating popup window to update to 2.0.8.

Click update - seemingly nothing happens.

App is open. Click on the empty head icon in the top. Click on "about" at the bottom. Version info appears. Click on "Update Check".
Popup comes saying V2.0.6, and updating. Clicking on update again says it is dangerous to update from this source, just confirm that it is ok. Another popup comes after a while that update is ready, need a restart. I denied it. New version check says I have 2.0.8. Exit app, start again, version news comes first.

I hope this helps.

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,785 of 3,440
No empty head icon on top. This is what shows and nothing happens

Attachments

• IMG_7516.jpeg
    IMG_7516.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #2,786 of 3,440
No empty head icon on top. This is what shows and nothing happens
I meant after starting the HiByMusic app this empty head:
Screenshot_20230915-214437~2.png

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,788 of 3,440
New owner here! I searched this thread but still have some questions, hope you all don't mind.

Streaming with the Qobuz app, the sample rate in the Android status bar reflects the correct sample rate. But streaming with the Tidal app it always shows 48khz. I thought Tidal was bit perfect too, but maybe I'm wrong? Streaming with the Amazon Music app, the status bar always shows 192khz which is weirder. Any ideas? I prefer to use the actual apps for each service to stream so I can get their daily or weekly recommended playlists. I removed all plugins, MSEB, etc. while testing this. Maybe status bar is just wrong?

Other random thoughts - HiBy Music app is pretty good! I like the lock screen for it. The shuffle algorithm seems good so far, a lot of players get this wrong. I do wish I could dive into an album from shuffle a little faster - have to hit the three dots -> Show Album Info. And then it's a few steps to get back into shuffle all.

The PEQ in the HiBy Music app seems pretty nice so far - a few results I didn't expect but EQ can be trial and error. The options for 10 bands, +/- 9 DB and up to 20 Q I think is pretty robust. EQ starts at 30hz though, little strange it's not 20hz but that's fine. I would prefer no EQ but it can give a new perspective on IEMs that I perhaps don't 100% love the FR but do love other aspects.

My setting for clockwise/anti-clockwise volume wheel resets every time the DAP turns off. That's really annoying.

Overall UI speed is solid. My last Android DAP is a few generations behind and miserable to use. Lotoo UI is faster but of course very very different types of DAPs there.

1.3ish pounds is heavier than I thought it would be! Build quality is amazing. Having Audio Controls and Darwin settings from the pull down menu are a nice QOL touch. Buttons are great although the case makes them a little harder to feel at a glance. Wish the case was cutout a little bit more there.

Battery life seems great so far!

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #2,789 of 3,440
I even called MUSITECK not a big help. They know how to sell products but have no idea on how to troubleshoot. Wow if I were a reseller for audio gear you bet I would know how the items I sell work.

I can see that you are frustrated, even after other people tried to offer you their help, but to blame Musicteck which is indeed a hardware retailer while you are having a 3rd party sw issue? You are definitely in the right place, especially since Hiby sw rep monitors this thread closely. And Musicteck is well known and highly respected on head-fi, especially for their support, and I have seen nothing but praises of Andrew in this community.

I also just checked my RS8 and when starting HibyMusic the same screen popped up, but at the bottom it gave me an option to "Not now" or "Update now". I'm surprised it doesn't show up on your screen. Can you swipe it up? You can get there also from About screen. BUT, here is a catch, whenever you click on Update, it doesn't do anything or just returns back with "error downloading". Then, I got a message saying "for your security, your phone currently isn't allowed to install unknown apps from this source". When you click on "settings", it takes you to another screen where you allow the update from Hiby. Then, it updates and restarts. I did have to click on "update now" a few times until it finally displayed a warning about security setting...

Another way of doing this, go into Android settings, Apps, See All apps, scroll to Hiby Music and under App Info scroll to Advanced and click on Install unknown apps and in there enable to Allow it. Then, you will be able to update HibyMusic app (when starting HibyMusic in upper left corner, user icon, scroll to About and click on Update Check).

You are welcome :)

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #2,790 of 3,440
I’m talking about updating Hiby music 2.0.8 it won’t update
so the first time i tried to update months ago, it was an issue with security popup from google which did eventually show up when i opened the play store, if i am remembering correctly. I just updated to 2.08 - clicked update > update now, went to settings > apps > hiby > advanced - allow was already on...hung about there for a few seconds and a popup showed which got me to allow it. I can't claim this is the best way to do it as each time I update it seems like a lot of dice rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back