HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Sep 11, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #2,761 of 3,439
I am finding it a bit more congested in the mids and less clear in the higher register, compared to other R2R Daps that I own(ed).
I’ll give it the recommended hours and see if we land on a state I’m happy with , before tweaking the Darwin settings.
But you should absolutely not be afraid to play around with all the settings. I understand you are trying to chart baseline changes over time but the fine-tuning ability of the RS8 is what puts it above the rest for me.

Sep 11, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #2,762 of 3,439
Hi!

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

To keep the battery healthy, I have set the settings to limit the charge to 60%. But I noticed a strange thing. When I start listening to DAP with 50% charge, it charges with current 1-1.5A (I look through USB-tester), when the charge reaches 60% the current drops to 0.1A, but it does not go back up!:upside_down: I.e. charge percentages start to drop (59-58-57, etc.) until you reconnect the charger again at <60%. Obviously this is not very good for the battery. I guess we need a comment from HIBY official agents if this problem is not only for me.
20-85% is the range you want to be in. Why are you limiting it so conservatively? You'll have to charge it all the time.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #2,763 of 3,439
I am finding it a bit more congested in the mids and less clear in the higher register, compared to other R2R Daps that I own(ed).
I’ll give it the recommended hours and see if we land on a state I’m happy with , before tweaking the Darwin settings.
If you don't mind, which other R2R DAP are you referring to? There aren't many! hahaha

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2,765 of 3,439
Thank you!

Ja, the metal plugs are Cayin P35A + P44A custom gold plated brass dust plugs – posh and pricey but what's a little bling for my baby 🤭

1 set includes both, 3.5 and 4.4

Aliexpress link:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805086418185.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Also available on Musicteck:
https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/cayin/products/cayin-headphone-jack-dust-plug
These are just excellent plugs! I ordered from musicteck for faster shipping.
Even the presentation of packaging is excellent (in jewelry case).
PXL_20230912_143717850.jpg
Really nice plugs 🙂

What’s everybody’s consensus on RS8 burn in time?
Has every owner notice a change in tuning/sound/etc after some time and if so what’s recommended? I read 100/200 hours, but since some time has passed I’d love to hear opinions on how it has evolved during your ownership, and if you had any issues with sound at the beginning.
Thanks in advance!
I found that passing the 120hr mark (for me), every song is eye opening how real it sounds.

I adjusted all settings from beginning to enjoy it from the start 🙂
After about 120hrs, I found it not needed any trebles adjustments anymore (for my preferences).

That was my experience with running in the RS8. Initial impression, sounded great OTB then congested around 40 and opening up 80 to 160 hours then settling in 200+
This is very accurate observations you posted.
I was wondering why I no longer needed adjustments, so now I am only using the HiBy DRX10K setting. 🙂

fine-tuning ability of the RS8 is what puts it above the rest for me

What completes this for me is the HiBy DRX10K settings. It's an amazing feature with Insane dynamics in it's initial settings, which I lessened for a more subtle/tastefull effect, to match the bass dynamics of the N8ii which was what I liked, and doing so, elevated DAP to just another level. The liviness of the music becomes mesmerizing and foot tapping on every track. Truly addictive sound now. It actually accentuates the positive traits of this R2R analog sound.
HiBy DRX10K thread here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-the-all-new-hiby-drx10k.968627/

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,766 of 3,439
@Joe Bloggs I seem to have a MOBILE_RADIO service that is consuming a lot of battery. Any idea what this could be?
Did you have any luck with this problem? I had it a few days ago, and it drains the battery a lot when the RS8 is in stand by mode.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #2,771 of 3,439
Just ordered one of these; it will be my first ToTL DAP.

Excited to experience this thing!

Thanks to all who posted informative impressions and info in here which helped inform my decision in picking this DAP over other worthy contenders.

I'll post my impressions later on for what they are worth.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #2,773 of 3,439
Or you can open the app, press on the face/ID icon top left of the screen. Then "about" at the bottom of the menu. Then the yellow Update Check button. That should work. Or are you saying that's what's not working?

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2,775 of 3,439
Or you can open the app, press on the face/ID icon top left of the screen. Then "about" at the bottom of the menu. Then the yellow Update Check button. That should work. Or are you saying that's what's not working?
yes hit yellow button and it does not update. Screen says app is updating, but I see nothing happening. I've left this go for 10 minutes and nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back