HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
May 29, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #2,176 of 3,404
It needs to connect using WiFi. That can be your phone's hotspot.
THANK-YOU . I was going to ask this question. This is brilliant.

May 29, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,178 of 3,404
May 29, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,179 of 3,404
May 30, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,180 of 3,404
How is it using youtube videos? Or does it suck on all video playback?
Using your words, it does suck with Youtube videos as well. If you plan to play videos on e.g. YT, Tidal, Amazon Video, (and probably every other video platform) it's totally annoying to watch the heavily out of sync replay.
Having in mind that compared to that $4k device, every low price Android mobile nowadays can properly play videos it's just a ... well... no further comment (except: "Hiby, pls fix that")

btw, that dual replay in Hiby Music was my fault, as I didn't notice setting the player to "Loop single" mode. Aside from this, even with the latest firmware I also noticed MQA problems with Hiby Music and Tidal, i.e. track is running but sometimes sound isn't playing at all.

May 31, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #2,183 of 3,404
Having the lastest firmware I notice weird, actually annoying things:

- using Tidal in Hiby App, songs are always played twice in a row

Since Tidal in Hiby app is an absolute no-go in terms of usability, intuitive UI (who had this brilliant idea of making a scroll BAR circular?!), etc.

- using Tidal app, the Play/Pause button only works to "pause" the song -> to continue I need to unlock the RS8 and manually click the play icon on the screen
- using Tidal app, MQA decoding still has lots of problems, either the song is playing but without any audio, or having sound artefacts like an old vinyl or worst - the audio is completely distorted

btw, is it planned to have at some point proper usage of the Android 12 inbuilt video decoding functionality? Spending 4k on a device (and making my decision also depending on a quite new Android version support) I want to make the most out of it. In addition to listening to audio files I'd also like to use it as a video player. E.g. I can install Disney+ app but whenever I start a movie there's no video player overlay, only the audio is working. Netflix can't be installed at all. Amazon video is working but with slight delay between video/audio.
I don't think the video functionality is built in at all, unless you are willing to fork over the sizable amount of money required to certify that the audio player (ahem) is not able to pirate their videos. But let me double check.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 31, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #2,184 of 3,404
Hiby RS8 недоступен в Индии (пришлось импортировать, что требует огромных пошлин), RS6 доступен у нескольких поставщиков. Есть где-нибудь сравнительная статья? Насколько лучше RS6 по сравнению с RS8?
Тут дело такое, что по выходной мощности RS6 уступает старшему брату ( что будет видно при использовании полноразмерных наушников). А у младшего звук теплее, и с новой прошивкой многие отмечают что звук стал лучше. Один из отзывов пользователей - звук почти как в старшей модели, но при прямом сравнении, после RS8 младший уже что то теряет в звуке ( хоть это чувство есть, но его сложно выразить словами). Но по соотношении цены, конечно младший достойный ( середний сегмент). Немногие жалуются что звуки которые больше уходят в верхние-середние и высокие частоты ( высокие голоса, альты и т.д.) звучат не так точно ( точнее более выше), но некоторым это ещё круче. Совет мой личный - брат пойди и послушай перед покупкой, это может быть твоя чашка чая.

May 31, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #2,185 of 3,404
So I got my RS8 last night. This is my second DAP (was nice to update my signature :) ). The unboxing was really nice. I got a nice big carton with many packages inside - there was of course the device, the dock, the blue case I ordered, IEM cables and a nice pouch for IEM's.

First impressions. Looks / feel of OS
I will throw in a few comparisons to the AK-SP3000 ('SP3k') which I got a couple of weeks ago but it never warmed up to me. Maybe I'll start with that.
Really good unboxing experience (sp3k) and a gloriously beautiful DAP with an amazing leather case. I got the black one too and they are both lovely. The screen is bright, nice and the OS while sluggish is very limited. I won't likely ever browse the web on my RS8, but I value not being locked in a walled garden (or perfectly manicured grass patch). I like the fact that the display is right angled and not curved at the edges; just looks cleaner. The RS8 is much larger in comparison and as everyone has said significantly heavier though it's only about 20% feels much more. I don't like that the outputs are at the bottom as when I'm holding it I have to be careful.

I've only had a SP3k or a couple of weeks and I think listened to it for less than 3-4 hours and only about 2 so far with the RS8 so both are not burn't in.

Initial impressions. Sound
The RS8 makes the music fun. I am tapping my foot. I am not analysing the music. With the SP3k I was always looking out for how my familiar songs are going to sound. The reward was coming from the fun in listening analytically to say Hunger by Bjork. So I seemed out songs which shone with the SP3k, like sopranos. I could hear real clarity. Personally it was fatiguing to me and was going to buy the Meze Elite to pair with it and instead decided to get more versatility by buying the RS8 after reading everything I could about it.
From the moment I put it on it was like feet tapping, enjoying music like I haven't in ages. Took me back to teenage years. BonJovi sounded like it did back then. I love the way these sound and very much looking forward to listening to them. I am going to audition some Caldera's tomorrow with it.

I have been thru all the 146 pages and very likely missed a few things and have a few questions if someone can please indulge me.

A. I have set a pattern for Lock Screen. Where can I go to change the time limit before it is activated?
B. I have set MQA on. When would I want to turn it off?
C. I am using Tidal as part of the built in services. Does using Tidal downloaded from the App Store have lower SQ?
D. Can I download songs from HibyTidal?
E. Can I play songs downloaded into the memory (using Tidal) using HibyTidal?
F. Can I simply take my MicroSD card, which has a bunch of my amazon and tidal music, from the SP3k and put it into the RS8 or have to format and re-download?
G. Can someone recommend settings on turbo (on/off), gain (low/mid/high), amplifier operation, MSEB for the Stellia
H. I'd like to try the convulsion settings for my headphone / IEM ? is that possible?
I. What is the best app for EQ? I can't find much other than MESB - is there no proper EQ with lots of bands to change?
J. I am playing Hey Now (Sasha Remix) by London Grammar, a MQA Studio Track. On the top I have 705.6K, and under the title it says 44.1KHz | 16bits | 909Kbps ; would love to get a refresh on the terms besides 44.1 and 16bit mean.
K. Is there anyway to change from the Green/Gold color scheme. It's nice but I'd much prefer something more mainstream like the black/red of SP3k.
L. I am experiencing screen disconnect issues ever 20 seconds using HibyCast using an iPhone. I am on a wifi6 mesh network. It's usable, but quite slow and then these error screens aren't fun. Any way to fix this?
M. I read above that android restricts audio from being bit perfect. Does using Amazon Unlimited, appleMusic or Qobuz, downloaded from the App Store have lower SQ than what I would get from say myiphone to me mojo2? If this is the case then am I really just restricted to the hibyTidal for high SQ?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-01 at 01.46.58 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-01 at 01.46.58 (1).jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-01 at 01.46.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-01 at 01.46.58.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #2,186 of 3,404
I don't think the video functionality is built in at all, unless you are willing to fork over the sizable amount of money required to certify that the audio player (ahem) is not able to pirate their videos. But let me double check.
I get your point about piracy, at least for apps like Netflix (which you cannot download from Google Play nor can you use the manually installed .apk because of a "Device not supported" message") or Disney+ app which you can install but once you start a video you only get a black screen.

Videos from Youtube/Tidal/Amazon Video on the other hand actually are replayed - so there is some kind of in-built video functionality.
The issue is that video & audio are out of sync, meaning during playback the video is slightly delayed.

Would be great if you can tell us if the RS8 will at some point have a better video replay - at least for those services that are available.

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2,187 of 3,404
Updated to the new firmware today.

HibyCast:
I tried the RS8 with the iphonemax using hibycast at the gym today. I saw the error screen at least every 20 seconds if not more for the 15 minutes I was on the elliptical. Even when not using it I kept seeing flashing the white screen with the red error message. Most annoying. Wish this could be fixed.

Calderas:
Not for the RS8 in my opinion. I was on max gain, turbo on and was beginning to enjoy it at around 80% volume and could easily push it to 95%, tried the Verite Open which were of course much easier to drive and sounded really good.

Jun 1, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #2,189 of 3,404
Updated to the new firmware today.

HibyCast:
I tried the RS8 with the iphonemax using hibycast at the gym today. I saw the error screen at least every 20 seconds if not more for the 15 minutes I was on the elliptical. Even when not using it I kept seeing flashing the white screen with the red error message. Most annoying. Wish this could be fixed.

Calderas:
Not for the RS8 in my opinion. I was on max gain, turbo on and was beginning to enjoy it at around 80% volume and could easily push it to 95%, tried the Verite Open which were of course much easier to drive and sounded really good.
I tried the Calderas with my RS8 today. Very enjoyable. High gain, turbo, 58.
Started on low gain and no turbo due to iem usage previously, needed to go to 80. But switching to high gain and turbo that was deafening, had to reduce to 58.

Started with this one, but went to some more serious material afterwards.
Oi - 1 by Biosphere https://open.qobuz.com/track/192196227

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,190 of 3,404
Started on low gain and no turbo due to iem usage previously, needed to go to 80. But switching to high gain and turbo that was deafening, had to reduce to 58.

interesting. I just rechecked my settings,

how are the Meze Elite on the RS8? also, are they easier or harder to drive than the caldera's? I've been looking at these two headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back