HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Apr 2, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #2,011 of 3,436
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #2,013 of 3,436
But in the end we never know the exact result. I do notice the sound alter when triggering NOS though.
Very likely better in nos. Upscaling engines, unless superbly implemented via hardware (mscaler) or software (hqPlayer) worsen the sound.

I’ve always kept my rs8 in nos mode

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #2,014 of 3,436
Hello everyone. I have a question, from the very beginning of using the player I found a difference in its sound, when just turning it on and pressing the play button, I get just the sound of my dreams, everything is as it should be. But when I start hiby music, the sound changes - the feeling of the scene decreases, everything seems to move a little towards the listener, the high frequencies become perhaps more detailed, but not so polite. No settings are included in the player itself. Please think with me what should be changed so that I always have the original sound.

try to stop all applications in the settings, except for where the music plays. or use KillApps from googleplay. after closing all applications, wait for a while

sorry for my english, i use google translate

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #2,015 of 3,436
Hi guys @Joe Bloggs
I have tested RS8 in USB DAC mode at my bedside yesterday and it turned out to work out very well using my IPad Air M1 as source.
What I am now wondering about is the USB settings saying it's to be used for music connection and NOT to be charged.
As you can see on the screen shots that's not happening, RS8 is being charged from the IPad while switched on, as well as switched off.
I have tested various USB cables including the stock Hiby one with same result - some USB cables didn't work at all btw...

Can you other guys pls verify this?
Joe, can you pls investigate with development as I suppose it's a bug either in firmware or Android.
I am on the latest firmware.

Thx!

Btw I realized yesterday that the USB DAC mode did not work neither my IPhone with camera connection kit both powerless and powered with Y adapter, nor with my Ifi Zen Stream (where I was sure it worked before with some previous Firmware...) - so my IPad is the only working non PC source...

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2344.jpeg
    IMG_2344.jpeg
  • IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #2,016 of 3,436
Hi guys @Joe Bloggs
I have tested RS8 in USB DAC mode at my bedside yesterday and it turned out to work out very well using my IPad Air M1 as source.
What I am now wondering about is the USB settings saying it's to be used for music connection and NOT to be charged.
As you can see on the screen shots that's not happening, RS8 is being charged from the IPad while switched on, as well as switched off.
I have tested various USB cables including the stock Hiby one with same result - some USB cables didn't work at all btw...

Joe, can you pls investigate with development as I suppose it's a bug either in firmware or Android.

Thx!

Btw I realized yesterday that the USB DAC mode did not work neither my IPhone with camera connection kit both powerless and powered with Y adapter, nor with my Ifi Zen Stream (where I was sure it worked before with some previous Firmware...) - so my IPad is the only working non PC source...
Have you check the drop-down menu from notification bar? It have an option connect without charging.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #2,017 of 3,436
Have you check the drop-down menu from notification bar? It have an option connect without charging.
Can you send a Screenshot pls?
I only see the attached information

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2357.jpeg
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2358.jpeg
    IMG_2358.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2359.jpeg
    IMG_2359.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #2,018 of 3,436
Hi guys @Joe Bloggs

Thx!

Hi,

For the case of the device being switched off, I think there's nothing we can do programmatically. But I wonder if the program to disable charging, may only be working when the big screen showing USB input is up. Is it the case that despite selecting Audio In (disable USB charging), none of the other iDevices would make a connection with the RS8?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #2,019 of 3,436
Can you send a Screenshot pls?
I only see the attached information
My bad, I have just tested mine, apparently i am having the same issue indicated by pulsar light blinking red.
Strange it was not like this in FW 1.10, I connected my RS8 into my office desktop almost everyday before and it was not blinking red like this 1.11 Version.

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #2,020 of 3,436
Hi,

For the case of the device being switched off, I think there's nothing we can do programmatically. But I wonder if the program to disable charging, may only be working when the big screen showing USB input is up. Is it the case that despite selecting Audio In (disable USB charging), none of the other iDevices would make a connection with the RS8?
Thx Joe for coming back so quickly!
So regarding other IOS devices, it was the USB cable.
IPhone seems to need a powered OTG connection though, otherwise it won‘t connect but that‘s nothing to do with RS8 but with IPhone restriction.
As you can see on the last screenshot also here RS8 is being charged from the connection though it‘s configured to not charge.
So I think that‘s definetely something to be looked into in dev.
Actually I wouldn‘t worry unless it‘s against the standard recommendation to not play and charge at the same time…

Cheers and thx

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #2,021 of 3,436
Traillii and RS8 sound phenomenal with nice warm and textured signature, strong Bass impact, wonderful Timbre.
Can be listened to for days without fatigue.

Nice complement to the more energetic Jewel which also sounds superb with RS8

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #2,022 of 3,436
Thx Joe for coming back so quickly!
So regarding other IOS devices, it was the USB cable.
IPhone seems to need a powered OTG connection though, otherwise it won‘t connect but that‘s nothing to do with RS8 but with IPhone restriction.
As you can see on the last screenshot also here RS8 is being charged from the connection though it‘s configured to not charge.
So I think that‘s definetely something to be looked into in dev.
Actually I wouldn‘t worry unless it‘s against the standard recommendation to not play and charge at the same time…

Cheers and thx
Hi, having consulted with engineering, the rs8 would be drawing charge only for its immediate use, not charging, when charging is disabled, but it will still be drawing charge from the USB port for immediate use. This is a hardware limitation.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #2,023 of 3,436
Hi, having consulted with engineering, the rs8 would be drawing charge only for its immediate use, not charging, when charging is disabled, but it will still be drawing charge from the USB port for immediate use. This is a hardware limitation.
Thx Joe!
So no worries for that low charging mode for the battery as I understand you.
Keeping the RS8 connected in that mode without playing seems to keep the battery charged at the current percentage without further draining or adding charge to the battery how I observe it currently

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #2,024 of 3,436
Ifi Zen Stream connected with the right USB cable is now also working fine and can be used for streaming Tidal Connect, Audirvana, Roon, etc
That will go to my night desk now

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpeg
    IMG_2361.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back