HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,846 of 3,436
If anyone is curious I’ve connected to the web login/pass protected WiFi and RS8 correctly identified that internet connection is working - after that Tidal was able to download the tracks offline.
It would still be nice if RS8 start to properly identify connection on other WiFi networks though 😉

Feb 23, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #1,848 of 3,436
what is the specific performance of the DAC itself versus competing devices using AKM, ESS, ROHM chipsets
To me, the ROHM chips in the N8ii is clearly superior to both AKM & ESS chips, so it's leading in the "Delta Sigma" camp, but the R2R is simply on another level than that, and IMO superior, especially in holography, naturalness or timbre, Soundstage without being "distant", and evenly presented micro dynamics.

I’m thinking the same thing. I might use the rs8 and just keep my two tube amps
That's what I do. Many issues ( in general) with desktop are all avoided, by using a Dap, but the RS8 can stand on its own merits to take place of desktop source.

For simplicity my desktop setup is actually this DAP into a tube amp. Can't get more simple than that. Also, I don't miss any desktop system I had or heard, especially with a top tier IEM. I would even say that it is the superior setup, because you are now mobile, freed of the chains bounding you down to a desktop, stuck in one room.

My question- is how far from a top of the line desktop system is the RS8 in driving high sensitivity over ear headphones? If it can get 90% of the way there- I may consider dumping my huge desktop system. These daps will never drive low impedance headphones like a proper desktop system. So we are talking LCD-4z, Meze Elite, and several others which are not very power hungry.

IMO, using a Dap overcomes many if not all issues plaguing desktop setups.
The issues with using a desktop source, exist in the audio chain areas both before, and after the desktop dac,
With the computer being central to these issues.

Because Windows (by default) does not reserve enough processing power for Audio, it needs ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive Mode, which is better because Windows won't corrupt it like it sometimes does in ASIO, despite any efforts to prevent it.
So Windows may occasionally switch detected dac as Default Sound & communications Device, in which case windows will resample PCM for sure, insidiously resampling the audio stream, having damaged sound of Windows resampling algorithms.

Even if you reassign the "Default Devices" to some other unused sound device, (unused/spare dac interface), Windows may occasionally switch back without warning to the dac you are trying to protect.

Whatever the OS Generation of Windows, there is always disk swaps during process, and windows services/applications, and background processes, which is how windows natively works. Even if you try fix into the OS with no Swap and big Ram, it somewhere needs it !
There is embeded smps and noise, complex path of the signal, pipes process latency, CPU energy saving controls, USB power noise and associated front input add on devices. SPDIF/Optical transmission/jitter issues. Add to that, the chosen Music Player & steaming player issues and its demands on the OS.

In contrast, the Dap by nature has all music processing integrated into one unit. It was just a matter of time before we had units worthy of desktop replacement, which IMO, the RS8 is. With it, you are now at a summit place where you can focus on the music and not the gear.

I find the combo of the RS8 with FIR Neon4 (using red modules) to be my end-game solution. I am fortunate to have already compared many other "TOTL" IEMs, to be settled on this pairing.

I had a problem with my DX300 Max Ti, IBasso had sent me a return label during the day and in 5 days my DAP had been exchanged
Your lucky, I had sent in my dx300maxTi for repair two times, and both times had to wait for them to repair and ship back, which was about 2weeks turn around time. That was a great Dap then, but now the RS8 is the very special one. 👍

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,849 of 3,436
If anyone is curious I’ve connected to the web login/pass protected WiFi and RS8 correctly identified that internet connection is working - after that Tidal was able to download the tracks offline.
It would still be nice if RS8 start to properly identify connection on other WiFi networks though 😉
are you saying that in your case the RS8 only identifies as connected to WiFi when going to one of those shopping mall public WiFi's with a web login?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 23, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #1,850 of 3,436
are you saying that in your case the RS8 only identifies as connected to WiFi when going to one of those shopping mall public WiFi's with a web login?
Hello, Joe!
It only identifies as connected to WiFi with Internet access when connected to public network with web login.
Otherwise it would identify as connected to WiFi without Internet access while you can still surf via web browser but Tidal won’t be able to download tracks.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,851 of 3,436
In contrast, the Dap by nature has all music processing integrated into one unit. It was just a matter of time before we had units worthy of desktop replacement, which IMO, the RS8 is. With it, you are now at a summit place where you can focus on the music and not the gear.

I find the combo of the RS8 with FIR Neon4 (using red modules) to be my end-game solution. I am fortunate to have already compared many other "TOTL" IEMs, to be settled on this pairing.
I'd be surprised if RS8 alone can be equal or better then RS8 feeding a good tube of SS desktop amp, for sure with big cans but even with IEM.

The way you describe RS8 though, I have to agree that it's R2R DAC is equal or better sounding then most desktop DACs, then you have quite a desktop source solution in your hands. :wink:

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #1,852 of 3,436
I'd be surprised if RS8 alone can be equal or better then RS8 feeding a good tube of SS desktop amp, for sure with big cans but even with IEM.

The way you describe RS8 though, I have to agree that it's R2R DAC is equal or better sounding then most desktop DACs, then you have quite a desktop source solution in your hands. :wink:
I agree completely. I haven't used the CR08 with the RS8 yet but I think that they will make an flexible, excellent "transportable as required" source for a solid sound system. With Schiit's two newly-released desktop (small and very small) speaker amplifiers combined with it, it would be a kick-ass small sound system! Looking forward to trying it out...
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #1,853 of 3,436
Anyone using the RS8 with the CR08 and Roon? If so are you feeding RS8 via WiFi or are you using USB? If USB did you just use a USB-A to USB-A cable from your Computer/Source to the RS8? Thanks in advance!
ed9db1c7-c74f-447a-86d0-4ca006efe68c.08ca6ee4fb9c617d99dde4c56f9d0b8a.jpeg

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,854 of 3,436
Anyone using the RS8 with the CR08 and Roon? If so are you feeding RS8 via WiFi or are you using USB? If USB did you just use a USB-A to USB-A cable from your Computer/Source to the RS8? Thanks in advance!
ed9db1c7-c74f-447a-86d0-4ca006efe68c.08ca6ee4fb9c617d99dde4c56f9d0b8a.jpeg
Hi there,

No, the USB-A port on the CR08 is for audio output.

The CR08 ensures that the connected DAP may be charged at all times as follows:
Audio input: (simply connect the USB output directly to the player, player would draw power from the output device in any case)
Audio output from DAP: connect DAP to the CR08's USB cable. It provides power to the DAP. The data connection is replicated on the output side (only) via the USB-A port.

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,855 of 3,436
Hi there,

No, the USB-A port on the CR08 is for audio output.

The CR08 ensures that the connected DAP may be charged at all times as follows:
Audio input: (simply connect the USB output directly to the player, player would draw power from the output device in any case)
Audio output from DAP: connect DAP to the CR08's USB cable. It provides power to the DAP. The data connection is replicated on the output side (only) via the USB-A port.

Cheers,
Joe
Thanks Joe from another Joe - Quick question, when would you output USB audio from the CR08 Dock, to a DDC for instance or directly to another DAC, then the RS8 would fill the role of a streamer?

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #1,856 of 3,436
Thanks Joe from another Joe - Quick question, when would you output USB audio from the CR08 Dock, to a DDC for instance or directly to another DAC, then the RS8 would fill the role of a streamer?
Yes

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,857 of 3,436
How does the RS8 behave with DSD files? I mean, do they make use of the R2R architecture, or would they be better converted to PCM before using them?

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #1,858 of 3,436
How does the RS8 behave with DSD files? I mean, do they make use of the R2R architecture, or would they be better converted to PCM before using them?
RS8 supports native DSD1024, one of the only DACs, let alone DAPs, to do so. It has its own dedicated DSD signal path. That should tell you how it plays native DSD. :wink:

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,859 of 3,436
RS8 supports native DSD1024, one of the only DACs, let alone DAPs, to do so. It has its own dedicated DSD signal path. That should tell you how it plays native DSD. :wink:
I mean, it has a dedicated DSD path and that i read. What i'm asking is, if i read the schematics correctly it "bypasses" the R-R and goes to the latter part. Am i mistaken?

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,860 of 3,436
I mean, it has a dedicated DSD path and that i read. What i'm asking is, if i read the schematics correctly it "bypasses" the R-R and goes to the latter part. Am i mistaken?
I'm not sure where the DSD is decoded internally but since R2R isn't compatible with DSD there must be a separate circuit. That's generally how it works with any R2R DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back