HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,861 of 3,438
I'm not sure where the DSD is decoded internally but since R2R isn't compatible with DSD there must be a separate circuit. That's generally how it works with any R2R DAC.
Exactly my point, if that is no it's not about "if it supports" but, "to get the best out of the player, should i feed it PCM instead of DSD"?

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #1,863 of 3,438
I guess i'll A/B test some songs, and see if i can spot differences! Can't wait for it to be available here!

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #1,864 of 3,438
I don't feel that's necessary. Native DSD playback is exemplary.
I have a number o DSD-DSF albums that my RS6 handles very well, and I would anticipate it is as good or better on RS8. I also output DSD from HQPlayer to RS6 in USB DAC mode as well, with excellent results.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #1,865 of 3,438
Hi chaps
I am looking forward to getting a RS8.
Nowadays I am using Qobuz for critical listening when streaming, nevertheless I am using Tidal for casual listening and discovering new music.
I’ve read something about crackling issues here which I don’t remember occurring on my former RS6.
Can someone confirm if this is happening on a regular basis with any MQA tracks or is rather specific and therefore unlikely?
Thx

Edit: if it is occurring, how loud is it?
I remember maybe hearing a faint noise when switching tracks with different sample rates on RS6 with Odin and EXT, more audible with Pathfinder but never loud distortion like blasting my ears.

So just fyi: I have nevertheless just ordered RS8

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,866 of 3,438
Hi chaps
I am looking forward to getting a RS8.
Nowadays I am using Qobuz for critical listening when streaming, nevertheless I am using Tidal for casual listening and discovering new music.
I’ve read something about crackling issues here which I don’t remember occurring on my former RS6.
Can someone confirm if this is happening on a regular basis with any MQA tracks or is rather specific and therefore unlikely?
Thx

Edit: if it is occurring, how loud is it?
I remember maybe hearing a faint noise when switching tracks with different sample rates on RS6 with Odin and EXT, more audible with Pathfinder but never loud distortion like blasting my ears.

So just fyi: I have nevertheless just ordered RS8
I don’t hear any crackling with MQA, but I did have some when I had my hqplayer settings too high. I run 1.5m with Holo DAC, and didn’t change output for the RS8 and got some Rice Crispies ® until I lowered the output bit rate.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #1,867 of 3,438
I don’t hear any crackling with MQA, but I did have some when I had my hqplayer settings too high. I run 1.5m with Holo DAC, and didn’t change output for the RS8 and got some Rice Crispies ® until I lowered the output bit rate.
btw are you using Roon/HQPlayer still on a regular basis for RS8?
I am still undecided if I may put some Ifi Zen Stream or HQPlayer-Mini-PC-NAA at my bedside and let RS8 run in DAC mode

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,868 of 3,438
btw are you using Roon/HQPlayer still on a regular basis for RS8?
I am still undecided if I may put some Ifi Zen Stream or HQPlayer-Mini-PC-NAA at my bedside and let RS8 run in DAC mode
I have it on the dock on top of my rack and I am currently switching back and forth between it and a Spring 3 with Stealth, CA1A, my Dynaudio LYD7 desktops and a myriad of IEM’s (with Bliss as amp for everything) to take notes and compare the RS8 as a Desktop worthy DAC. Susvara/LCD5 arrive Monday so I should finish my comparisons in a week or so.

Really trying to find out if I can recommend to others the RS8 as a desktop DAC replacement and to do that I’ll probably have to be confident to do it myself first.

So far so Good, the RS8 is 100% in the fight but it’s not over yet.

Also it occurred to me that I need to make sure I’m using the same output bit rate to both devices from hqplayer, but I’m also using Roon upsampling (as a separate parameter w/o HQP active) and that is at 384 maxed for both devices. Trying to be relatively detailed.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #1,869 of 3,438
I have it on the dock on top of my rack and I am currently switching back and forth between it and a Spring 3 with Stealth, CA1A, my Dynaudio LYD7 desktops and a myriad of IEM’s (with Bliss as amp for everything) to take notes and compare the RS8 as a Desktop worthy DAC. Susvara/LCD5 arrive Monday so I should finish my comparisons in a week or so.

Really trying to find out if I can recommend to others the RS8 as a desktop DAC replacement and to do that I’ll probably have to be confident to do it myself first.

So far so Good!!! The RS8 is 100% in the fight but it’s not over yet.
Great!
We‘ve been discussing the very same topic in our local headfier group and I was wondering about the same thing - can that little miniature wonder keep up with full blown top spec Holo DAC?
And besides measuring specs - what can human ears differentiate anyway?
Looking forward to you post!

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,870 of 3,438
Great!
We‘ve been discussing the very same topic in our local headfier group and I was wondering about the same thing - can that little miniature wonder keep up with full blown top spec Holo DAC?
And besides measuring specs - what can human ears differentiate anyway?
Looking forward to you post!
Exactly on the ears. Made an edit above!

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #1,871 of 3,438
Hey people, has anyone compared the AK SP3000 and the RS8 side-by-side?

Impressions?

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #1,872 of 3,438
Mar 8, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #1,873 of 3,438
I’ve heard RS8 on Canjam, me and my friend used to have RS6, and I was blown away by RS8, used to have SP3K, and now have Ibasso dx320x..
While Ibasso gives me total freedom of 4 different amp modules, so the sound changes and adopts different signatures (4.4 amp12 is colder, amp11mk2 a versatile Swiss Army knife,amp13 (and 14) is very mellow and melodic, good for difficult days)
I was on lookout for that Hiby since it came out,
Well there was a lot of stuff on CJ but only a few things left pleasant memories that bring up desire to try them again.
First off, while SP3K is closest to Holo sound I’ve heard (Holo audio spring 2 kte that I owned) it wasn’t emotional , very revealing, high end sound, with plenty of resolution, and nuances, micro details dynamic, it wasn’t emotional.
Hiby from the first note - was emotional, made me remember good old pcm1704k days(do you remember Hifiman HM801? Lol)
Sound was full of energy, passion, beauty, great dynamics, everything’s in Place.
The form follows the sound in case of RS8 - meticulously crafted titanium, reminds me of Omega Bond edition watch I wanted to buy, but got new speedy, that color and back panel - Wow!
All in all, it’s a solid 5 in my book, and a great alternative to desktop dacs/amps
If Some of You would be looking to sell one in the US, let me know, cheers

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #1,874 of 3,438
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,875 of 3,438
We finally got round to publishing the RS8 review, it's a new Recommended Buy Award winner! Article by @Virtu Fortuna

https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-rs8-review/

HiBy RS8 Award.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back