HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #3,136 of 3,177
This forum, and you folks on it, are seriously dangerous! I really wasn’t planning on spending much more than $900 for either a used RS6 or new R6Pro2, I thought I’d stretch to $1400 for a new RS6. Now I’m seriously considering a gently use RS8 for $500 more after reading all the impressions. The RS8 sounds magical. Knowing me, I’ll always wish I had stretched to the RS8 and would likely give in and get one eventually. I’ve spend good money on audio in the past and never regretted it. I received a better end of year bonus than I expected, and I’ll be turning 60 later this year so why not? But geez, it’s a lot of money for a Chinese music player! I’m still waffling…
To be honest, the RS6 and RS8 serve different purposes. I find the RS8 almost restrictively heavy. The RS6 is significantly lighter and therefore my go-to travel companion. The RS8 is more used at home than about.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #3,137 of 3,177
I have a smaller R5ii for taking out and about. The RS6 or RS8 would likely be a home only player.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #3,138 of 3,177
I have a smaller R5ii for taking out and about. The RS6 or RS8 would likely be a home only player.
In my perception the R5ii and RS6 are more or less similarly sized, the RS8 is noticeably bigger though.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #3,140 of 3,177
And does anyone else using UAPP turn bit perfect OFF, so they can add a bit of EQ? I was militant about having it on, but disabling it has meant I can get rid of some 1-3kHz glare that my HP produce and that I'm quite sensitive to.... It really makes everything much easier to listen to at the volume I like to (pretty loud).

I'm also thinking about buying the parametric EQ plugins, so that I can find the specific frequency that bugs me and dial it out *just* enough and with a Q narrow enough to not mess up anything else...

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #3,141 of 3,177
And does anyone else using UAPP turn bit perfect OFF, so they can add a bit of EQ? I was militant about having it on, but disabling it has meant I can get rid of some 1-3kHz glare that my HP produce and that I'm quite sensitive to.... It really makes everything much easier to listen to at the volume I like to (pretty loud).

I'm also thinking about buying the parametric EQ plugins, so that I can find the specific frequency that bugs me and dial it out *just* enough and with a Q narrow enough to not mess up anything else...
I turn it off and use eq occasionally when I run a pair of too-bass-heavy cans, but generally leave it on.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #3,142 of 3,177
Why does swiping to type text not work on the RS6 when the android OS offers it as an option?

Since the RS6 is an Android device, I installed a couple of different keyboards that I can select - and some have the swipe feature. On keyboards with the swipe feature, it's not always enabled by default, so it requires turning on in the settings.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #3,143 of 3,177
Since the RS6 is an Android device, I installed a couple of different keyboards that I can select - and some have the swipe feature. On keyboards with the swipe feature, it's not always enabled by default, so it requires turning on in the settings.
Yeah but the built in android keyboard has it as an option, so it should work. I have swipe and other keyboard apps, hadn't thought to install one so I will. Cheers. Bit lame that the provided one doesn't work!

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #3,144 of 3,177
HibyRS6 owner for 8 months checking in here…

I’ve enjoyed keeping up with the posts on this thread. It’s really cool the way this little device has captured our hearts. I love that R2R goodness and all the other things it brings to the party.

I’m thankful to listen to hours and hours and hours of fatigue free music. It’s a joy to listen to it in my 2 channel speaker rig. I love this sound so much that I’m thinking of getting a high end R2R like Denafrips.

Was just wondering if the streamer function of the Hiby RS6 would work well with a high end external dac.

Thanks in advance for your response. Much appreciated.
Tom in Austin

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpeg
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #3,145 of 3,177
Introducing the convolution function

So this is a plugin that has been hidden well since it was released. On HiBy Android players with up to date firmware, system level audio plugins are available. Today I would like to point to one of these in particular. To start with, I’ll simply show all the taps required to start using it, in order: (it’s simpler than it looks)
Picture1.pngPicture2.pngPicture3.pngPicture4.pngPicture5.pngPicture6.pngPicture6.5.pngPicture7.png

(excuse the spelling for now)

With the convolution module finally open, you may select the “configuration file” for use with the module:
Picture8.png

To get the ball rolling I’ll provide one of the better universal spatialization files I’ve created, for public use. Simply download this file to your R player and point this plugin to that file in the file browsing interface that comes up when you click as above:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju2065zxx39pxnj/Joe0Bloggs clear&vivid 4ch IRS 2020-44.1k-padded.wav?dl=0

What is it?
It is hard to explain, although Wikipedia gives a technical one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution . In audio terms, I would put it as a way to specify filters for correcting audio output for specified output equipment (e.g. headphones) and / or simulate acoustic environments or setups (such as having the sounds of speakers coming from outside your head even while wearing headphones).

File formats
Convolution filters are specified as wave files, which to a computer are indistinguishable from the wave files of uncompressed PCM music. Here I will explain the different aspects of the wave files to look out for when choosing one for use with your system.

1. Sample rate
These filters are designed to work on music of a certain sample rate, and are themselves encoded at that same sample rate. On this plugin, convolver files are taken to be 44.1kHz and work on 44.1kHz files. By default, music files of other sample rates are not processed by the plugin; you can change this behaviour by unticking the “Other sample rate bypass” option in the interface.

2. No. of channels
The plugin may support wave files with 1, 2 or 4 channels, interpreting them in different ways. With single channel files, it applies the same filter described by that channel on both channels of music. With dual channel files, it applies each channel of filter on its corresponding music channel. With four channel files, the filters are applied in the following 4-way config which is instrumental in simulating a complete acoustic space with two speakers in room:

4-way.png

Done correctly, the cross-feeding channels not only do not narrow the soundstage, but can actually expand it, by providing realistic inter-aural cues for sounds even to the extreme left and right (which should not reach only one ear; the brain interprets this unnatural sound usually as a sound “inside” one ear rather than a sound to your left or right (which these filters should render correctly).

These spatialization filters are as many and varied as sand on the beach; for example, you can take matching pairs of wave files from the IRCAM database and put them together as your spatializer:

http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salles/listen/

Or, you can go as far as to measure your own: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recording-impulse-responses-for-speaker-virtualization.890719/

In other news, the expansive AutoEQ database provides a wealth of correction data for hundreds of different headphones, that you can use in this plugin as follows:

1. Go to https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/

2. Search for the model of your headphones using Ctrl-F

3. Click into your model using the link in the list

4. Click on the [name of your headphones] minimum phase 44100Hz.wav link (e.g.) (do not right-click->save as), THEN save the file that comes up in the next page to your R player. Load the file in the convolution plugin.

1601473079467.png

(edit: unfortunately I must report that for now these is a bug in the convolver preventing these impulse files from AutoEQ from rendering correctly here. The problem manifests in periodic clicks in the output and the workaround for now is to insert a few samples of silence in front of the files downloaded here. I will work with HiBy to hopefully release a fix for this soon.)

It is also possible to combine headphone correction filtering with spatialization filtering, by convolving two wave files together before putting the resultant file in this module. You can do this by using the foobar convolution plugin, putting the 4-way spatialization wave file in the playlist and Converting it into a new 32-bit wave file using the headphone correction wave file as the convolver in DSP.

Finally, it is even possible to use this to apply any manner of parametric EQ or other effects to your R player, by simply first applying those effects to this base file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tkc373z0162dct/base.wav?dl=0

e.g. in foobar by putting this file into the playlist then Converting it into a new file with a parametric EQ DSP in the DSP chain

then putting the resultant file in your R player and loading it in the convolver module.

---------------------------
Just created a new series of headphone virtualizer impulses for this module. Project repository at https://github.com/Joe0Bloggs/EFOtech_MLV

Relevant files for the R players (44.1kHz versions) can be downloaded in one go here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/21cfg8ttu78eczz/EFOtech MLV-44k.zip?dl=0

Yet another virtualizer set I made based on ones I'm currently using: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pubbd2gcymh5j90/AACbJm7dCQ2-KINs0hKUB-hta?dl=0
I am experimenting with this plugin as I wanted to enhance soundstage. As a raw rule of the thumb, the more I turn the slider right the more it should try to increase the soundstage and vice versa?

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #3,146 of 3,177
I have been using my RS6 for quite a while and i started using it as a roon endpoint and in lineout mode it absolutely eats battery. Is this normal?

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #3,147 of 3,177
This forum, and you folks on it, are seriously dangerous! I really wasn’t planning on spending much more than $900 for either a used RS6 or new R6Pro2, I thought I’d stretch to $1400 for a new RS6. Now I’m seriously considering a gently use RS8 for $500 more after reading all the impressions. The RS8 sounds magical. Knowing me, I’ll always wish I had stretched to the RS8 and would likely give in and get one eventually. I’ve spend good money on audio in the past and never regretted it. I received a better end of year bonus than I expected, and I’ll be turning 60 later this year so why not? But geez, it’s a lot of money for a Chinese music player! I’m still waffling…
So I ended up buying a new RS6 from Musicteck and couldn’t be happier. I love the size, heft, and build quality. Out of the box it has a nice, smooth, analog sound and it will be interesting to hear it change as it burns in. I don’t think any of my current transducers are doing it proper justice so I bought a slightly used Mest Mk2 from the classifieds. :beyersmile:

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #3,148 of 3,177
Just joined the RS6 club. Purchased directly from the Hiby store so 10 working days till I get it.

I thought about the RS8 but it costs twice as much, and it does not seem worth it since this is audio and you will not get twice the performance.

I will mainly use this when I go into the office and travel paired with the Bokeh.

My Bokeh should ship in 1 to 2 weeks, so it lines up perfectly with getting the RS6.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #3,149 of 3,177
I did a factory reset on my RS6, it has the latest software 1.80. logged into my google account and the Play Store is an older version and completely blank, no way to get UAPP etc.

Edit: after a second reset I accepted Google to backup and have the play store.

RS6 working!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #3,150 of 3,177
I did a factory reset on my RS6, it has the latest software 1.80. logged into my google account and the Play Store is an older version and completely blank, no way to get UAPP etc.

Is the OS just too old now? It was acting strange and sounding bloated, I figured this would be the best thing to try.
That's strange. I just did the same reset in the same firmware and no blank play store and UAPP was downloadable straight away ... At this point I'd recommend redoing the full factory reset ... Somehow yours seems not to have executed fully?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back