HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,671 of 3,178
Just to clarify, I realize I omitted an important detail. I am transferring realtime conversion to DSD by DoP protocol. So isn't that also PCM encapsulated, therefore using the same data path as other "native" PCM data? I will do more testing later to see if it is just the Kernal Streaming interface that is the real solution. I suspect JRiver, HQP, FB2K do not work well with HiBy ASIO or HiBy WASAPI interface drivers.

Once I found a way to trace the data path with JRiver, I looked for a direct connection data path. The KS interface is the first one I came across that was directly connected (and did not have thousands of milliseconds delay between played and heard). So it is not running through another separate executable that maybe either doesn't work well or is having priority issues even after promoting to realtime. The ASIO executable seems to be the same software as the one used by Astell Kerns SP2000. I haven't checked if my SP2000 is now not working well with USB DAC mode after installing the Hiby version of the ASIO runtime executable.
If you have converted to DSD on your computer and are transferring via DoP, you are using the DSD pipeline on the RS6. You can verify this by reading the sample rate indicator on the RS6, it should read something like 2.8M, 5.6M etc. rather than any PCM sample rate (which max out at 384K, although what with these having up to 32 bit bit depth the effective information density can be higher if anything)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 4, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #2,672 of 3,178
If you have converted to DSD on your computer and are transferring via DoP, you are using the DSD pipeline on the RS6. You can verify this by reading the sample rate indicator on the RS6, it should read something like 2.8M, 5.6M etc. rather than any PCM sample rate (which max out at 384K, although what with these having up to 32 bit bit depth the effective information density can be higher if anything)
Thank you for your detailed explanation. And this solution seems to be a very good solution. After switching to Hidiz S9 Pro Copper dongle, I also noticed similar instability depending on the selected driver. So this problem is not unique to the RS6. Does this mean it is clearly a JRiver 30 problem. Unfortunately no since other music player software also has this problem.

Switching to DoP for the RS6 maybe avoiding to problem.

I am using Windows 11, if you give me details about the windows components used, I can try to send any relevant version information.

Nov 4, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #2,673 of 3,178
Hope these will sound great with RS6.
Screenshot_20221104-051052~3.png

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,674 of 3,178
I believe the stuttering problem is not caused by Hiby RS6.

1668101664676.png

1668101812883.png

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #2,675 of 3,178
Question on MSEB: If select the "analogue" setting for example and then further adjust one or several sliders, is there a wauy to return it to default for "analogue" if I am unhappy with the changes? Or is the better approach to make these changes then save as a custom tuning? Just wanted to check before I tried as in general I like these pre-set selections. Thanks!

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #2,676 of 3,178
Question on MSEB: If select the "analogue" setting for example and then further adjust one or several sliders, is there a wauy to return it to default for "analogue" if I am unhappy with the changes? Or is the better approach to make these changes then save as a custom tuning? Just wanted to check before I tried as in general I like these pre-set selections. Thanks!
I believe you can make changes, and save them as a custom setting. Then re-apply the analogue setting, or none, to get to default settings. Easy enough for you to try this with one change, and verify it, before you go crazy with many changes.

EDIT: I meant to say that I think re-applying the Analogue setting would wipe out any changes you made to it. But again, also good to verify.
Also not sure if there is a save after changes that would alter the stored setting. Then would need to figure out how to erase the downloaded settings, or re-download them again, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #2,677 of 3,178
Introducing the convolution function

So this is a plugin that has been hidden well since it was released. On HiBy Android players with up to date firmware, system level audio plugins are available. Today I would like to point to one of these in particular. To start with, I’ll simply show all the taps required to start using it, in order: (it’s simpler than it looks)
Picture1.pngPicture2.pngPicture3.pngPicture4.pngPicture5.pngPicture6.pngPicture6.5.pngPicture7.png

(excuse the spelling for now)

With the convolution module finally open, you may select the “configuration file” for use with the module:
Picture8.png

To get the ball rolling I’ll provide one of the better universal spatialization files I’ve created, for public use. Simply download this file to your R player and point this plugin to that file in the file browsing interface that comes up when you click as above:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju2065zxx39pxnj/Joe0Bloggs clear&vivid 4ch IRS 2020-44.1k-padded.wav?dl=0

What is it?
It is hard to explain, although Wikipedia gives a technical one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution . In audio terms, I would put it as a way to specify filters for correcting audio output for specified output equipment (e.g. headphones) and / or simulate acoustic environments or setups (such as having the sounds of speakers coming from outside your head even while wearing headphones).

File formats
Convolution filters are specified as wave files, which to a computer are indistinguishable from the wave files of uncompressed PCM music. Here I will explain the different aspects of the wave files to look out for when choosing one for use with your system.

1. Sample rate
These filters are designed to work on music of a certain sample rate, and are themselves encoded at that same sample rate. On this plugin, convolver files are taken to be 44.1kHz and work on 44.1kHz files. By default, music files of other sample rates are not processed by the plugin; you can change this behaviour by unticking the “Other sample rate bypass” option in the interface.

2. No. of channels
The plugin may support wave files with 1, 2 or 4 channels, interpreting them in different ways. With single channel files, it applies the same filter described by that channel on both channels of music. With dual channel files, it applies each channel of filter on its corresponding music channel. With four channel files, the filters are applied in the following 4-way config which is instrumental in simulating a complete acoustic space with two speakers in room:

4-way.png

Done correctly, the cross-feeding channels not only do not narrow the soundstage, but can actually expand it, by providing realistic inter-aural cues for sounds even to the extreme left and right (which should not reach only one ear; the brain interprets this unnatural sound usually as a sound “inside” one ear rather than a sound to your left or right (which these filters should render correctly).

These spatialization filters are as many and varied as sand on the beach; for example, you can take matching pairs of wave files from the IRCAM database and put them together as your spatializer:

http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salles/listen/

Or, you can go as far as to measure your own: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recording-impulse-responses-for-speaker-virtualization.890719/

In other news, the expansive AutoEQ database provides a wealth of correction data for hundreds of different headphones, that you can use in this plugin as follows:

1. Go to https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/

2. Search for the model of your headphones using Ctrl-F

3. Click into your model using the link in the list

4. Click on the [name of your headphones] minimum phase 44100Hz.wav link (e.g.) (do not right-click->save as), THEN save the file that comes up in the next page to your R player. Load the file in the convolution plugin.

1601473079467.png

(edit: unfortunately I must report that for now these is a bug in the convolver preventing these impulse files from AutoEQ from rendering correctly here. The problem manifests in periodic clicks in the output and the workaround for now is to insert a few samples of silence in front of the files downloaded here. I will work with HiBy to hopefully release a fix for this soon.)

It is also possible to combine headphone correction filtering with spatialization filtering, by convolving two wave files together before putting the resultant file in this module. You can do this by using the foobar convolution plugin, putting the 4-way spatialization wave file in the playlist and Converting it into a new 32-bit wave file using the headphone correction wave file as the convolver in DSP.

Finally, it is even possible to use this to apply any manner of parametric EQ or other effects to your R player, by simply first applying those effects to this base file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tkc373z0162dct/base.wav?dl=0

e.g. in foobar by putting this file into the playlist then Converting it into a new file with a parametric EQ DSP in the DSP chain

then putting the resultant file in your R player and loading it in the convolver module.

---------------------------
Just created a new series of headphone virtualizer impulses for this module. Project repository at https://github.com/Joe0Bloggs/EFOtech_MLV

Relevant files for the R players (44.1kHz versions) can be downloaded in one go here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/21cfg8ttu78eczz/EFOtech MLV-44k.zip?dl=0

Yet another virtualizer set I made based on ones I'm currently using: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pubbd2gcymh5j90/AACbJm7dCQ2-KINs0hKUB-hta?dl=0
Just wanted to say a HUGE thanks for the plugins. I have found them extremely useful. Including the new Fixed Sample rate. Things like this are why I love Hiby...in addition to system wide MSEB. Loving my R6 Pro, Rs 2020 and R8. THANK YOU :)

Nov 24, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #2,678 of 3,178
Anyone tried Noble Audio Kublai Khan with RS6?

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #2,679 of 3,178
My rs6 is currently on loan
Anyone tried if Roon Arc Bitperfect playback is working on RS6 standalone without any issues?

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #2,680 of 3,178
My rs6 is currently on loan
Anyone tried if Roon Arc Bitperfect playback is working on RS6 standalone without any issues?
I’ve never been able to get ARC to work and finally just gave up. I use Roon at home daily though.

From what I’ve read about bit perfect for Android via ARC is it will only work when you connect a USB DAC to your android device. So I guess if you want to use the RS6 as a transport to another DAC it will work, but would you want to do that?

If you have an android phone and use a dongle then I suppose this enhancement to ARC is useful. Otherwise, Roon still has not done anything to resolve their issue with allowing android based DAPs that can internally bypass the android OS to play bit perfect content.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #2,681 of 3,178
I’ve never been able to get ARC to work and finally just gave up. I use Roon at home daily though.

From what I’ve read about bit perfect for Android via ARC is it will only work when you connect a USB DAC to your android device. So I guess if you want to use the RS6 as a transport to another DAC it will work, but would you want to do that?

If you have an android phone and use a dongle then I suppose this enhancement to ARC is useful. Otherwise, Roon still has not done anything to resolve their issue with allowing android based DAPs that can internally bypass the android OS to play bit perfect content.
This is the single biggest reason I'm not planning to use Roon beyond my 3-month trial. If it's not resolved by then, bye bye Roon.

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #2,682 of 3,178

Thx
Roon just posted about their ability to finally achieve Bitperfect playback on Android.
That's why I thought it might work on DAPs too now...

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #2,684 of 3,178
now that i know there is a practical use for it on a DAP, i might do that.

In my experience, the wifi login page just doesn't open sometimes (even if the device has a browser installed). In such cases, I force it to open by following the procedure given under section "2. Try to open the router's default page" of this link - https://zapier.com/blog/open-wifi-login-page/

Basically, I open the browser, type http://192.168.1.1 and then the wifi login page opens.

This may be helpful to you.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #2,685 of 3,178
Just wanted to say a HUGE thanks for the plugins. I have found them extremely useful. Including the new Fixed Sample rate. Things like this are why I love Hiby...in addition to system wide MSEB. Loving my R6 Pro, Rs 2020 and R8. THANK YOU :)

@Joe Bloggs @reactor are you also finding some issues with different sample rates?

Source File 96Khz > Plugin Fixed Sample rate: 44.1khz - audio stutters every second
Source File 96Khz > Plugin Fixed Sample rate: 48khz - no stutter
Source File 96Khz > Plugin Fixed Sample rate: 88.2khz - stutters every 2 seconds or so (a little less)
Source File 96Khz > Plugin Fixed Sample rate: 96khz - no stutter
Source File 96Khz > Plugin Fixed Sample rate: 192khz - no stutter

This is very frustrating for me as it means with majority of 96khz hi res tracks I can't utilise the fixed sample rate plugin with the convolution, as converting down to 44.1khz causes stutters and that sample rate is only one compatible with convolution.

A little more context: the above test was done with different music apps including official one, and is unrelated to apps or other factors from my side (also seems to coincide also with USB DAC mode and specific sample rates instability - which was communicated earlier in this forum from a number of users including myself).

Over the year I've communicated with Hiby about this giving them a lot of data to test/recreate - i was hoping by now we would have had a firmware fix or something as it doesn't seem to be specific to my device only (i hope!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back