HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #2,041 of 3,181
Great tip, happily using UAPP, re-acquainting myself with it's many options. Question: When UAPP is in bit-perfect mode, are the Darwin settings such as harmonic controller and / or audio settings such as MSEB still applied?
Yes I believe they are. The only time they're not applied is when playing back MQA. Of course the output is no longer bitperfect with MSEB, but that's to be expected.

Mar 16, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #2,042 of 3,181
Rename attachment to .wav (this is the EQ you requested)
That’s perfect thank you so much, works a treat! I have to learn how to do this myself…

Now here’s finger crossed to getting a hi res supporting para eq plugin one day too haha

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #2,043 of 3,181
That’s perfect thank you so much, works a treat! I have to learn how to do this myself…

Now he’s finger crossed to getting a hi res supporting para eq plugin one day too haha

+1

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,045 of 3,181
1 more question: I notice that when I set MSEB sliders in Audio Settings, it does not appear to carry over to the MSEB settings within Hiby Music. I had thought MSEB was system-wide....is there some additional setting to make it so?
MSEB in Audio settings is systemwide.

MSEB in HiBy Music is not.

So if you only wanted MSEB settings in HiBy Music, you would set them in HiBy Music but not Audio settings.

If you wanted MSEB systemwide, you would set them in Audio settings but not HiBy Music.

If you set the same settings in both, you would be doubling up. 😅

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 19, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #2,046 of 3,181
Using the convolver to implement a mild crossfeed effect here.
+crossfeed is time-delayed to the average human ITD and rolled off in the treble to roughly match human IID.
+both channels then adjusted to completely neutralize tonality and timbre for centred sounds.
+no reverb / room effects added.

This should help mostly in rendering the spaciousness of sounds to the sides and also of bassy sounds.

Download the file to your R device, rename to .wav and follow the instructions here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...oid-music-player.958878/page-44#post-16608381

Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan makes a great demonstration of the difference you can enjoy.

Basically it is a "crossfeed" that defies all preconceptions by being totally transparent and *expanding* rather than compressing soundstage :L3000:

Attachments

• Joe's lossless xfeed-44k.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 20, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #2,047 of 3,181
MSEB in Audio settings is systemwide.

MSEB in HiBy Music is not.

So if you only wanted MSEB settings in HiBy Music, you would set them in HiBy Music but not Audio settings.

If you wanted MSEB systemwide, you would set them in Audio settings but not HiBy Music.

If you set the same settings in both, you would be doubling up. 😅
Thanks for the clear and helpful response, makes good sense. 😁

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #2,048 of 3,181
I've also been using the RS6 with bluetooth WF1000XM4 Sony earphones - they sound much better out of the Hiby than out of my Android phone (both use LDAC), the digital section of the Hiby is impressive not quite sure how it manages to make bluetooth headphones sound cleaner, wider and more organic.

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,049 of 3,181
I've also been using the RS6 with bluetooth WF1000XM4 Sony earphones - they sound much better out of the Hiby than out of my Android phone (both use LDAC), the digital section of the Hiby is impressive not quite sure how it manages to make bluetooth headphones sound cleaner, wider and more organic.
Yeah that's weird ... First time I've heard that. But will try with mine too. Theoretically the source shouldn't make a difference ...

Mar 21, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #2,050 of 3,181
Yeah that's weird ... First time I've heard that. But will try with mine too. Theoretically the source shouldn't make a difference ...

Noticed the same as well.

Mar 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,051 of 3,181
Looks like I joined the club after all. 😇

Attachments

• 43BD3B43-9EEC-40DA-A11D-7681B2E856A4.jpeg
    43BD3B43-9EEC-40DA-A11D-7681B2E856A4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #2,052 of 3,181
I've spent the last several weeks getting to know the RS6 and thought I'd offer some initial impressions. Overall, I am extremely impressed with this DAP, and would highlight the following:
  1. Out of box I found the bass quantity / quality to be underwhelming, mids a bit grainy and the highs harsh, but definitely has improved steadily over 50-75 hours of use.
  2. Further refinement to a more euphonic, well-balanced signature was achieved by setting "harmonic controller" = 150 and MSEB "tuning style" = analog.
  3. With FLAC source files the "NOS" = on setting adds an organic, highly musical quality that is perfect for long listening sessions.
  4. With DSD playback I initially felt sound quality was inferior to FLAC / PCM but either my brain or RS6 has burned in, no longer an issue.
  5. USB DAC works flawlessly with my Windows 11 PC with 44.1 kHz rate family but 48k family files require software conversion to playback, a minor quibble.
  6. HiBy Music player integration w/QoBuz works well but my understanding is it is not bit perfect, thus I use UAPP's integrated QoBuz for Bit-perfect playback.
  7. Interestingly, even with UAPP Bit-perfect mode, if desired RS6 harmonic controller and MSEB settings can still be applied, thus not truly bit-perfect but sounds terrific.
  8. My IEM's pair well, plenty of volume and headroom with 4.4 PO and low gain. Especially enjoying the UM 3DT / RS6 for musicality with a very natural presentation.
  9. ZMF Auteur (300Ω) requires balanced output and high gain to shine with RS6, which reduces battery life but is a highly enjoyable pairing.
  10. Haven't tried my Focal Clear MG with RS6 yet as still awaiting a balanced cable terminated 4.4, but looking forward to trying this pairing soon.
As a point of reference, my primary desktop setup is a Feliks-Audio OTL tube amp, so you may infer I favor a warm, euphonic sound and that is true. However, I dislike bloomy, bleeding bass and use an ESS DAC which leans analytic, and tube sets / headphone pairings to bring instrument separation, staging and a reasonable amount of detail more prominently into the musical presentation. I would conclude that while the RS6 is not a detail monster, nor is stage the widest / tallest / deepest, it presents the music in a very natural way which one can enjoy non-analytically or "listen deeply" into the music for a very rewarding overall experience.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention what a tremendous pleasure the purchase experience was buying both the HiBy RS6 and UM 3DT from Andrew at Musicteck. He answered my questions patiently and was very responsive. Pricing was fair and shipping was fast. Both RS6 and 3DT arrived impeccably packed and in perfect condition. Musicteck will be at the top of my short list for audio purchases going forward.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #2,053 of 3,181
I've spent the last several weeks getting to know the RS6 and thought I'd offer some initial impressions. Overall, I am extremely impressed with this DAP, and would highlight the following:
  1. Out of box I found the bass quantity / quality to be underwhelming, mids a bit grainy and the highs harsh, but definitely has improved steadily over 50-75 hours of use.
  2. Further refinement to a more euphonic, well-balanced signature was achieved by setting "harmonic controller" = 150 and MSEB "tuning style" = analog.
  3. With FLAC source files the "NOS" = on setting adds an organic, highly musical quality that is perfect for long listening sessions.
  4. With DSD playback I initially felt sound quality was inferior to FLAC / PCM but either my brain or RS6 has burned in, no longer an issue.
  5. USB DAC works flawlessly with my Windows 11 PC with 44.1 kHz rate family but 48k family files require software conversion to playback, a minor quibble.
  6. HiBy Music player integration w/QoBuz works well but my understanding is it is not bit perfect, thus I use UAPP's integrated QoBuz for Bit-perfect playback.
  7. Interestingly, even with UAPP Bit-perfect mode, if desired RS6 harmonic controller and MSEB settings can still be applied, thus not truly bit-perfect but sounds terrific.
  8. My IEM's pair well, plenty of volume and headroom with 4.4 PO and low gain. Especially enjoying the UM 3DT / RS6 for musicality with a very natural presentation.
  9. ZMF Auteur (300Ω) requires balanced output and high gain to shine with RS6, which reduces battery life but is a highly enjoyable pairing.
  10. Haven't tried my Focal Clear MG with RS6 yet as still awaiting a balanced cable terminated 4.4, but looking forward to trying this pairing soon.
As a point of reference, my primary desktop setup is a Feliks-Audio OTL tube amp, so you may infer I favor a warm, euphonic sound and that is true. However, I dislike bloomy, bleeding bass and use an ESS DAC which leans analytic, and tube sets / headphone pairings to bring instrument separation, staging and a reasonable amount of detail more prominently into the musical presentation. I would conclude that while the RS6 is not a detail monster, nor is stage the widest / tallest / deepest, it presents the music in a very natural way which one can enjoy non-analytically or "listen deeply" into the music for a very rewarding overall experience.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention what a tremendous pleasure the purchase experience was buying both the HiBy RS6 and UM 3DT from Andrew at Musicteck. He answered my questions patiently and was very responsive. Pricing was fair and shipping was fast. Both RS6 and 3DT arrived impeccably packed and in perfect condition. Musicteck will be at the top of my short list for audio purchases going forward.
Fantastic summary. I still have fond memories of buying your iFi Micro iDSD about 5 years ago - my first 'serious' headphone amp/DAC and entry point to the hobby - and here we are all these years later enjoying the magic of R2R in a DAP. 🤗

I think your observation that the RS6 needs about 150h to settle is key. I enjoyed mine out the box, but almost every criticism I've read about the sound from early adopters disappeared after 150+ hours of use. It's not brain burn in either because I can go without listening to the RS6 for weeks and still come back to the same point on the next listen. This is how R2R behaves on the desktop, so no surprise it's the same in DAP form.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #2,054 of 3,181
I just joined the club. I am very curious what this DAP has to offer. It is a little heavier than my M11 Pro but I'd like this to become my walking DAP.

Very impressions are very positive. Installation was a breeze.

Screenshot_20220324-145059.png

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,055 of 3,181
I just joined the club. I am very curious what this DAP has to offer. It is a little heavier than my M11 Pro but I'd like this to become my walking DAP.

Very impressions are very positive. Installation was a breeze.

Screenshot_20220324-145059.png
Welcome to the RS6 Club, @MatW and @CrocodileDundee! Nice to have such experienced Head-Fiers in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back